do you adjust the polepieces on your passive pickups?

guitarbilly74

• Members

I've been playing actives for so long I forgot you could do that. I adjusted the polepieces on my SG and my HSS strat last night and wow major difference, specially on the strat, I was about to get a new HB for the bridge for that guitar and now I don't need to, tweaking the polepieces made the pickup sound much better :)

CSB, I know. :lol: It's Monday morning so work with me guys :)

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I didnt even realize this was possible...mighta been useful when I had painkillers. Ive never done it, needless to say, but then again, Ive got 2 guitars setup and sounding EXACTLY the way I want them to, so I dont have much of a reason to do it now either...

• Members

I had picked up a Bare Knuckles Aftermath and found it to be mushy, indestinct, and a little boomy. Come to find out that its almost a "known issue" and the fix is to back out the pole screws (hex bolts) a little less then a quarter turn. I was doubtful but I tried it and it made a world of difference. The Aftermath is now tight, deep sounding and has nice note separation.

• Members

I had picked up a Bare Knuckles Aftermath and found it to be mushy, indestinct, and a little boomy. Come to find out that its almost a "known issue" and the fix is to back out the pole screws (hex bolts) a little less then a quarter turn. I was doubtful but I tried it and it made a world of difference. The Aftermath is now tight, deep sounding and has nice note separation.

That would drive me nuts if its a known issue...thats something that, IMO, should be handled before shipment if its a known issue. I can definitely understand tweaking the heights to better fit a specific guitar and that kinda thing, though.

• Members

I tweak the polepieces, overall height, magnet strength.. Whatever I can to get the pickup to behave how I want.. Basically if the pickup is close to how I want it from the start, I know I can tweak something to get that little extra needed.

• Members

I tweak the polepieces, overall height, magnet strength.. Whatever I can to get the pickup to behave how I want.. Basically if the pickup is close to how I want it from the start, I know I can tweak something to get that little extra needed.

I have never swapped magnets, maybe I should try that too. How hard is it and where can you buy the magnets?

• Members

I have never swapped magnets, maybe I should try that too. How hard is it and where can you buy the magnets?

A place called addictionfx on Ebay.. I think you said you have a 500t and that uses an oversized magnet, and I haven't found the oversized yet. Also Duncan distortion and A ton of Dimarzio's use oversized magnets.. Stuff like the jb, custom and many other pickups use a "standard size" n guitar magnet

• Members

So how do you guys do it? Do you follow any specific method (like matching it to fretboard radius etc) or just go by ear? I adjusted mine by ear, just trial and error until it sounded the way I wanted.
:idk:

Yeah pretty much that. Depending on what it is you are trying to change, you pretty much should know what to do. Raising the bridge side pole pieces generally gets you more attack and treble, while raising the pickup generally gets you more of everything, output, lows, mids, highs...get too close and things usually get boomy, and the string pull of the magnet can make things sound off. If you have a pickup with adjustable neck side pole pieces, raising those can boost lows and mids while still adding some attack. It just depends...

• Members

Yeah pretty much that. Depending on what it is you are trying to change, you pretty much should know what to do.
Raising the bridge side pole pieces generally gets you more attack
and treble, while raising the pickup generally gets you more of everything, output, lows, mids, highs...get too close and things usually get boomy, and the string pull of the magnet can make things sound off. If you have a pickup with adjustable neck side pole pieces, raising those can boost lows and mids while still adding some attack. It just depends...

That's absolutely, 100% true. I noticed it instantly how my attack increased when I started to raise the low E polepiece, but yeah.. you need to be careful because after a certain point, it starts to sound thin. I adjusted the low E for the attack I wanted and then adjusted all others to match. It's a HUGE difference, like having new pickups on the guitar.

• Members

I don't, because, as soon as you move them, you've undone the wax on that polepiece.

You've just given the pickup a reason to be noisy.

I like to leave the pup as is! I've never had any tonal balance problems that couldn't be solved by raising/lowering one or both sides of the pickup.

• Members

I don't, because, as soon as you move them, you've undone the wax on that polepiece.

I like to leave the pup as is! I've never had any tonal balance problems that couldn't be solved by raising/lowering one or both sides of the pickup.

I agree with the last part of your statement. I wouldnt wanna do it because I wouldnt wanna risk making that {censored} noisey.

• Members

I didn't know the part about the wax but makes sense. Luckily, like you, I've been able to adjust the overall height to get pickups dialed in just fine. Remaining little issues can be solved with tweaking pedals or the amp.

• Members

I did not notice any increase in noise or feedback at all.

• Members

I did not notice any increase in noise or feedback at all.

I'm not saying it automatically makes it noisy, but you've moved something that was locked in place by dry wax. It is no longer locked into place. You've broken the seal on that particular pole piece.

It's probably fine, but I've found I've never "helped" a pickup by disassembling it or messing with it.

I like it to be SOLID.

Archived