Fender Tube Amps

kman8898

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Classics are great classic rock amps. I think the Classic 30 should be in the working musician's amp hall of fame, if there were such a thing. I don't know if you're into the head + cabinet thing but if you are, the Classic 30 head sounds great thru a nice cab. I have one and it screams thru a good sounding cab. You can usually pick one up for around $250.

For sure. I have a Classic 30 head (modded for 8 ohms instead of 16) through a 1x12 loaded with an Emi Cannabis Rex.

It's my cute little micro-stack that is *HOLY {censored} LOUD*. Great cleans, awesome amp overdrive.

• Members

Hmm, that's not what i came across in my research. Whatever. Anyways, I said I'm still keeping the Peavey on my horizons, so who knows what I'll end up with.

There is a bright input on the Classic 50's. I could see if you really really want to have Fender cleans, than go for a Fender. Obviously a Vintage Silverface or Bassman would be awesome but also I think the new Hot Rod Deluxe's III are really good if you could land a used one. It sounds like your budget and your kind of amp to be honest. The Classic 50 is the best bang for your buck ever made though.

• Members

For sure. I have a Classic 30 head (modded for 8 ohms instead of 16) through a 1x12 loaded with an Emi Cannabis Rex.

It's my cute little micro-stack that is *HOLY {censored} LOUD*. Great cleans, awesome amp overdrive.

I run mine into a 2-10 cab with an Emi Ragin cajun and an Emi Ramrod. It makes a huge sound for such a small rig.

• Members

Well, I always try to find my gear used or discounted, so that's hard to say. I wouldn't want to go much over $700. If that was for a new amp, I know that my options would be severely limited, but I doubt I'm going to get a brand new amp. Sometimes you see the odd deluxe reverb or something going at $600 or whatever, so I keep my eyes out for stuff like that. I'm pretty much all set now, and I know what to look for. Thanks to everyone who responded.

• Members

Agreed with Billy: I wasn't impressed with the HRD and hated the overdrive channel. Heard a few used to good effect as clean platforms with top-notch preamps but they aren't particularly good at the stuff I like most about tube amps (moderate OD, touch sensitivity, chimey cleans, etc.).

Also with Yarbicus: The old blue tolex Ampegs are outstanding stage amps, especially if you're looking for moderate-to-medium gain classic rock tones. My buddy & I fixed up a friend's Gemini IV a while back, which I used at a couple of gigs. I made him promise to call me first if he ever decided to sell it.

+1 on the Classic 30/50 suggestions. Hard to beat for a budget-priced channel switcher.

• Members

Anyone recommending he not look for a better amp and instead just buying pedals, smoke and mirrors, isn't giving good advice.

The reason I did is because he said he liked the clean tone...and Fenders take pedals well. It's been proven for decades. Sound advice, sorry to say you are wrong.

I do admit I do not have experience with the Frontman...so maybe there lies your beef. Although I have had experience with other SS Fenders, and my reasoning still stands.

To completely disregard the option is foolish.

• Members

The reason I did is because he said he liked the clean tone...and Fenders take pedals well. It's been proven for decades. Sound advice, sorry to say you are wrong.

I do admit I do not have experience with the Frontman...so maybe there lies your beef. Although I have had experience with other SS Fenders, and my reasoning still stands.

To completely disregard the option is foolish.

See normally I would agree but it's a Frontman, and also no, you're wrong about this being a good idea for SS Fenders in general. The man deserves better, period.

• Members

Well, I always try to find my gear used or discounted, so that's hard to say. I
wouldn't want to go much over $700
. If that was for a new amp, I know that my options would be severely limited, but I doubt I'm going to get a brand new amp. Sometimes you see the odd deluxe reverb or something going at $600 or whatever, so I keep my eyes out for stuff like that. I'm pretty much all set now, and I know what to look for. Thanks to everyone who responded.

You have lots of options if you can spend $700. Its a strong buyer's market and you could buy pretty much any amp mentioned in this thread with $700. Just shop Craig's list hard. A couple of months ago I bought a custom color Prosonic with a road case for $500. The deals are out there.

• Members

Well, it seems like I've gained at least a little bit of trust and respect from you guys, so there's something I should probably tell you. I'm 14. I play the guitar and the drums, I'm in a band, I'm even starting to get into the world of recording. Music is my passion and I am considered the best musician in my school. I didn't want to announce this right away, because people never take me seriously if they know I'm just a teen. The thing is, being a multi-instrumental musical fanatic at the age of 14 isn't exactly easy. I've accumulated quite a bit of nice musical gear over the years, but money isn't exactly abundant for a 14 year old and it's hard to keep up with repairs and new equipment when I play two instruments. I've been saving up for almost 3 years now, and I want to make a good decision on my amp purchase because it will probably be my only amp for quite a few years to come. I'm proficient enough in the world of amps to make a relatively good decision on my amplifier, but it's always nice to have some advice from the pros. It really means a lot to me.
:)

You're very welcome. I picked up the guitar at 14 after playing the piano since 10. I wish I had known about this forum at that time too. That's not to say that I still wouldn't have had to learn everything through experience, but the guidance and consensus opinion from most guys here is very valuable. If you have $700 to drop on a new amp then I think you're going to be very pleased after trying out the many many many good and sometimes great amps you can find in that price range. Just take your time and listen :whisper:

• Members

See normally I would agree but it's a Frontman, and also no, you're wrong about this being a good idea for SS Fenders in general. The man deserves better, period.

nothing wrong with a frontman at all. it's not made for loud playing-- and even he admits it sounds alright not screamin' loud, because it does, and it sounds very much like a fender, which it is.

mostly-- he just needs a burlier amp- and if that's what y' mean with 'better'-- i'm inclined to agree. but i've run a frontman 25 with pedals AND used the onboard dirt. does a respectable job with both, really. key to that amp is basically turning the treble pretty doggone low. i think they give you extra outrageous treble on that thing because they also give it RCA jacks to be used as for a music player to go full range. the speaker'll do it.. but it's some seriously weird mojo to have that much top with a guitar.

• Members

nothing wrong with a frontman at all. it's not made for loud playing-- and even he admits it sounds alright not screamin' loud, because it does, and it sounds very much like a fender, which it is.

mostly-- he just needs a burlier amp- and if that's what y' mean with 'better'-- i'm inclined to agree. but i've run a frontman 25 with pedals AND used the onboard dirt. does a respectable job with both, really. key to that amp is basically turning the treble pretty doggone low. i think they give you extra outrageous treble on that thing because they also give it RCA jacks to be used as for a music player to go full range. the speaker'll do it.. but it's some seriously weird mojo to have that much top with a guitar.

oh, then you would know.

• Members

Hey OP, if the Craigslist Gods are kind you should be able to find at least a silverface Fender amp from the 70's of at least 40 watts (trust me, tube watts are louder than solid state watts) for the kind of money you are looking at. It may need service (tubes, capacitors), but it will likely outlive even you due to the construction methods used at the time. I have a basement full of old Fenders bought for stupid little money over the years. I have a Showman, Bassman, Bandmaster, Deluxe, and an old 210 Super Amp that all told cost me less than $1200, but that comes from 30 years of cruising music stores.

• Members

Well, it seems like I've gained at least a little bit of trust and respect from you guys, so there's something I should probably tell you. I'm 14. I play the guitar and the drums, I'm in a band, I'm even starting to get into the world of recording. Music is my passion and I am considered the best musician in my school. I didn't want to announce this right away, because people never take me seriously if they know I'm just a teen. The thing is, being a multi-instrumental musical fanatic at the age of 14 isn't exactly easy. I've accumulated quite a bit of nice musical gear over the years, but money isn't exactly abundant for a 14 year old and it's hard to keep up with repairs and new equipment when I play two instruments. I've been saving up for almost 3 years now, and I want to make a good decision on my amp purchase because it will probably be my only amp for quite a few years to come. I'm proficient enough in the world of amps to make a relatively good decision on my amplifier, but it's always nice to have some advice from the pros. It really means a lot to me.
:)

Congratulations and good luck with everything. If you're feeling overwhelmed by gear maintenance and expense, and would rather focus on developing your musicianship, then I'd humbly suggest that used amps with vacuum tube technology and no warranties are not your best option. Last thing you want is to buy something that will blow up and set you back three years' savings. If you buy a tube amp it should come with a good warranty.

Just my two cents. I'm not going to try to sell you on solid state but if you're going to the store I'd try to keep an open mind and just try everything. Cheap entertainment.

• Members
Congratulations and good luck with everything. If you're feeling overwhelmed by gear maintenance and expense, and would rather focus on developing your musicianship, then I'd humbly suggest that used amps with vacuum tube technology and no warranties are not your best option. Last thing you want is to buy something that will blow up and set you back three years' savings. If you buy a tube amp it should come with a good warranty.

Just my two cents. I'm not going to try to sell you on solid state but if you're going to the store I'd try to keep an open mind and just try everything. Cheap entertainment.

There's not a damn thing in an old Fender tube amp that can't be fixed or replaced for relatively little money.

• Members

There's not a damn thing in an old Fender tube amp that can't be fixed or replaced for relatively little money.

I would disagree with that statement. A good technician will charge for their time, which alone can run over $50/hour.

• Members

mostly-- he just needs a burlier amp- and if that's what y' mean with 'better'-- i'm inclined to agree. but i've run a frontman 25 with pedals AND used the onboard dirt. does a respectable job with both, really.
key to that amp is basically turning the treble pretty doggone low
. i think they give you extra outrageous treble on that thing because they also give it RCA jacks to be used as for a music player to go full range. the speaker'll do it.. but it's some seriously weird mojo to have that much top with a guitar.

This is true. You can actually get some decent tones out of the Frontman 25 if you have the treble knob really low.

• Members

Relatively little.
:lol:
But even transformers aren't backbreaking, really. An OT isn't going to "set you back three years' savings".

When you're 14, your budget is $700 and you've been saving for a while to reach that point, it will set you back... a lot.