Fender Tube Amps

kman8898

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Send me your Frontman. Obviously there is operator error.

Sure its not a tube amp, it is what it is.

But if you cant get music out of it, it ain't the amp.

Hey, no need to jump to conclusions. My Frontman 25R is completely useable and I intend to keep using it until i find a deal on a Deluxe Reverb or Blues Deluxe or something. However, it does have a problem where the clean channel begins to break up after the volume is past around 5, and there's no way that that's an operator error. Also, if I purchased a nice overdrive pedal, I'm sure that my amp would sound fine with gain as well. The only thing is, I'm looking for a bit more volume than 25 watts solid state and I miss that nice, warm tube sound. I don't think that any of that qualifies as an "operator error", thank you very much.

• Members

Hey, no need to jump to conclusions. My Frontman 25R is completely useable and I intend to keep using it until i find a deal on a Deluxe Reverb or Blues Deluxe or something. However, it does have a problem where the clean channel begins to break up after the volume is past around 5, and there's no way that that's an operator error. Also, if I purchased a nice overdrive pedal, I'm sure that my amp would sound fine with gain as well. The only thing is, I'm looking for a bit more volume than 25 watts solid state and I miss that nice, warm tube sound. I don't think that any of that qualifies as an "operator error", thank you very much.

Frontman 25R would take an Eminence Ragin Cajun and get a lot louder. I'm partial to the Lil Buddy but I don't have to play with a band. New Boss DS-1 pedals go on sale now and then for $35 and would be way better than the onboard distortion, or you can get a Rat or an MXR distortion for less then $100. You're going to need a pedal anyway someday if you're getting the Deluxe Reverb.

But I agree with you the Frontman cabinet is a little shaky and maybe not worth investing in if you're ready to make the jump to a new amp in the near future.

• Members

Ok, recommendations are starting to go downhill now. Get rid of the Frontman. My main recommendation for you is to get a Peavey Classic 50. If not that, then either buy a Hot Rod Deluxe or Blues Deluxe plus a good distortion pedal based on your money situation. Best options are to buy either a Fender Bassman or Fender Deluxe Reverb with a good distortion pedal. Checkout a Fender Supersonic too.

• Members
Get a REAL tube overdrive pedal for the Frontman if you like the clean sound. Sometimes I use a friends solid state & use my EHX English Muff'n tube overdrive. It brings the amp to life.

I'm not sure why it took so long to present this option, but it's an excellent suggestion. If you like the clean sound...that is (for me) the foundation of all my sound (yes there are people who never hit the "clean channel" button- fine).

There are some very nice pedals that give you amp-like distortion- and most Fenders take pedals like a long lost lover. I like the dual pedals that will instantly make your amp a cool 3 channels. When you do decide you want to go tube, you still have the option to keep the pedal.

I'm not saying you have to do this....just consider it.

One other thing I'd like to tell ya, is that I currently have 5 amps. 2 are hybrid (tube preamp/solid state poweramp), one is all solid state, one a modeler, and one is a full tube amp- it's a real 1964 Fender Twin Reverb. :love:. But the other amps sound just fine for what they do as well. They have their place and use. Guess which amp has been in the shop a lot and which amps have never seen one?

• Members

Ok, recommendations are starting to go downhill now. Get rid of the Frontman. My main recommendation for you is to get a Peavey Classic 50. If not that, then either buy a Hot Rod Deluxe or Blues Deluxe plus a good distortion pedal based on your money situation. Best options are to buy either a Fender Bassman or Fender Deluxe Reverb with a good distortion pedal. Checkout a Fender Supersonic too.

Yep, I'm not planning on spending any money on my already flaky Frontman when that money can go towards getting a nice amp that will last a long time. I'm pretty sure that I'm settled on a Blues Deluxe Reissue. I've been doing a lot of research lately, and it seems like the best amp for my purposes. I've been finding used ones for pretty cheap. It's plenty loud enough, and I love the way the controls are set up. I know that most of the people here would go for a Deluxe Reverb over a Blues Deluxe, but what can I say. I'm just looking for a basic, versatile amp that can be played without any pedals if needed. The Deluxe reverb has vibrato, which i would probably never use, the channels have seperate jacks instead of being footswitchable... I just like the simplicity of the Blues Deluxe :idk:

• Members

The Blues Deluxe is a great amp. It does breakup early on the dial though which is something you complained about on the Frontman. The breakup is awesome though. Great for classic rock. Trust me, it's loud enough too. Not a good amp for low volume practice.

• Members

i've listened to quite a few sound clips. The breakup isn't bad, although you're right, it is early. On the frontman, the breakup isn't so much of that crunchy overdrive/gain sound, but more like a constant white noise sort of fuzz. idk how to describe it.

• Members

OP, It seems you like the idea of a 2 channel amp for gigging. If so, you should consider a Prosonic. Best hi gain Fender ever did, IMO, along with an awesome sounding clean channel. It has an effects loop, which may or may not be a big thing for you.

if you opt for a Hot rod series amp, try to avoid the older ones with the volume pot issues. They will go from whisper quiet to insanely loud with a very small turn of the volume knob. I used to gig with one and it was very hard to dial in an appropriate volume.

Also consider the Supersonic series. Check out the 22 watt Supersonic. I think its a much better choce than the Hot Rod or Blues series of amps.

• Members
You should look into the Peavey Classic 50 if you need the amp's overdrive. The gain channel sounds better than the Fender, the cleans are great with more headroom and they're also cheaper if you buy it used.

The classic 50 is the amp Fender shoulda made. The Peavey guys had their sh*t together, on the Classic 50's. I love the 90's tweed 2x12 version. The speakers suck, but with a ProCo RAT & some Classic Lead 80's = AWESOME.

• Members

I looked at the Supersonic, but it seems like that's another tier up from the ones I've been looking at, price-wise. A lot of people have suggested the Peavey Classic series now, so I'll make sure to check that out.

Classics are great classic rock amps. I think the Classic 30 should be in the working musician's amp hall of fame, if there were such a thing. I don't know if you're into the head + cabinet thing but if you are, the Classic 30 head sounds great thru a nice cab. I have one and it screams thru a good sounding cab. You can usually pick one up for around $250.

• Members

I've never really thought about getting a separate cabinet, as I have no use for so much volume. I listened to some comparisons of the Peavey and Fender amps, and although the gain channel on the Peavey is really nice, it just doesn't have that bright Fender sound to it, especially on the clean channel. I think I'm still leaning towards the Fender because I don't really use THAT much gain most of the time, but I'll definitely keep the Peavey on my horizons. You never know when some old lady will find one in her attic and sell it for $150 because she doesn't know what it is. I got a 2000 dollar stereo system for 10 bucks from some clueless old guy once... :D