NPD, ISP Decimator, I am disappoint Son.

Crunchtime

• Members

I will say this about the NS-2: It's perfectly fine if you don't use an absolute assload of gain on your amp, as in past 12 o' clock on the gain knob. Since I started using Marshalls again and reducing my gain over the years ( a byproduct of de-slopifying my technique), I don't have to have the threshold at 100%, so now I don't notice any noticable sustain cutoff.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I will say this about the NS-2: It's perfectly fine if you don't use an absolute assload of gain on your amp, as in past 12 o' clock on the gain knob. Since I started using Marshalls again and reducing my gain over the years ( a byproduct of de-slopifying my technique), I don't have to have the threshold at 100%, so now I don't notice any noticable sustain cutoff.

yeah but if someone is using more gain than what the NS-2 can handle, chances are their tone is {censored}ty anyway. Might as well be noisy too :lol: I used NS-2 with 5150s, DSLs, Laneys etc and never had any issue with it even when using some pretty heavy tones.

• Members

My NS2 was a tone suck so I bought a ISP. I dont like to pedal dance but when going from dirt to clean the ISP can start chopping notes down. I have gotten better with it in the last year and its not so much an issue anymore but I struggled at first running the ISP too high.

I would prefer the NS2 if it was true bypass or buffered or something better than mine was.

• Members

another tip is to calibrate it on a medium gain setting, rather than the highest noise amount you are going to use. For instance, I have a 3 channel amp, and if I calibrate the decimator for the large amount of gain I have channel 3 set to, it will over-squash the notes on the 1st and 2nd channels.

So basically compromise for something you don't want?

• Members
Anybody else prefer an NS-2 over the Disappointer?

:idk:

Been down the same road, back to the NS-2. Still have the standard Decimator that I used to run in front, never through a loop though.

It's a good pedal, just didn't match the frothing hype machine in full swing back in the mid 00's that compelled me to switch at the time.

Then one day earlier this year I took it out of the chain and put the NS-2 back in, and I was like damn this isn't as bad as everything I'm reading. :lol:

• Members

So far I think I like my NS-2 better as well...But I'm still getting a handle on the Decimator. It's a cleaner sounding pedal, doesn't affect the tone as much. But I don't find the gate's envelope or the way it decays is any better at all. it does well on high output pickups and high gain, but trying to use it to quiet single coils under medium gain, the one knob doesn't allow fine tuning to keep the gate working cleanly if you mess with your volume knob...I know it will be better once I get used to how it responds, but I never really had to mess with the NS-2 as much.

• Members

Don't know how the NS-2 is, but I'm honestly not incredibly impressed with the Decimator I picked up last week. :idk:

Even with it set low, it'll kill a bunch of clean and crunch dynamics. I've never used a noise gate up until this point and I've been happy, so maybe it's just not for me.

• Members

Standard or G string?

In loop or in the front?

There is absolutely no difference in tone with it on, off, or even completely out of the chain on my rig.

This OP is doing it wrong. Decimator rules. {censored} you can dial that bitch up to 12:30 and it wont effect your tone at all.

• Members

What do you set it at with high gain?

High gain or Clean doesn't matter dude, it reacts to your pick ups. (unless your rolling back your pick up for cleans, then your {censored}ed)

Here is a quick guide to the perfect set up with the decimator.

First: find the point where it eliminates all the buzz from your picks ups working the knob clockwise. (for me about 9:30)

Second: Find the the point where it lets through all your signal while playing a open E chord working the knob counter clockwise. (for me about 1:00)

Third: set the knob at at desirable middle point between those 2 points (for me about 11:30)

4th: enjoy years of feedback free high volume, high gain tone.

• Members

High gain or Clean doesn't matter dude, it reacts to your pick ups.

Here is quick guide to the perfect set up with the decimator.

First: find the point where it eliminates all the buzz from your picks ups working the knob clockwise. (for me about 9:30)

Second: Find the the point where it lets through all your signal while playing a open E chord working the knob counter clockwise. (for me about 1:00)

Third: set the knob at at desirable middle point between those 2 points (for me about 11:30)

4th: enjoy years of feedback free high volume, high gain tone.

Where is part 5? Weak ass anemic tone you pretend is good cause it cost more than an NS-2 and scores you internet cred?

• Members

Where is part 5? Weak ass anemic tone you pretend is good cause it cost more than an NS-2 and scores you internet cred?

I told you find the point where it doesn't effect the tone at all then dial it back some more. If it's effecting your tone your doing wrong. Also, if you need to dial it up so high that it's effecting your tone to kill the feedback and noise from you rig you've got way bigger problems to deal with then the decimator. It's not holy water than can turn a Zack Wylde MG into a Diezel.

• Members

Did you check the battery? Cause what you are saying is ridiculous..

It is darn near impossible to detect when in its on or off.. It may be you are expecting too much out of it.. I mean there are limits to everything.. I basically set it to the point where if I mute the strings with my right hand only it shuts down.. And when I let go of the strings I'll get feedback.. This allows plenty of decay and I'm still in control of what gets gated and requires a bit of playing technique, but I'd rather it aid in what I'm doing rather than fixing my mistakes. Like expecting it to clamp down if I made a sloppy stop or mute. I mean, I'm not expecting it to fix sloppy playing..

• Members

I was super dissapointed in the decimator.

The whole "lol you {censored}ed up dialing in a pedal with only one knob" thing doesent make sense to me. It can be REALLY irritating dialing in a pedal with one knob if that one knob isnt sufficient to get it it where you want.

Archived