NPD, ISP Decimator, I am disappoint Son.

Crunchtime

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I had a NS-2 for around 5-6 years and I have been using a Decimator for the past 4 years without any problems at all. In that period of time I have used it with a 5150 II, Splawn QuickRod, and now a Mesa Mark V, I have never noticed the decimator causing any "tone suck" or any issue, its always worked perfect, but on the other hand I always noticed the NS-2 in the signal.

• Members

Did you check the battery? Cause what you are saying is ridiculous..

It is darn near impossible to detect when in its on or off.. It may be you are expecting too much out of it.. I mean there are limits to everything.. I basically set it to the point where if I mute the strings with my right hand only it shuts down.. And when I let go of the strings I'll get feedback.. This allows plenty of decay and I'm still in control of what gets gated and requires a bit of playing technique, but I'd rather it aid in what I'm doing rather than fixing my mistakes. Like expecting it to clamp down if I made a sloppy stop or mute. I mean, I'm not expecting it to fix sloppy playing..

This, all of it actually.

• Members

Did you check the battery? Cause what you are saying is ridiculous..

It is darn near impossible to detect when in its on or off.. It may be you are expecting too much out of it.. I mean there are limits to everything.. I basically set it to the point where if I mute the strings with my right hand only it shuts down.. And when I let go of the strings I'll get feedback.. This allows plenty of decay and I'm still in control of what gets gated and requires a bit of playing technique, but I'd rather it aid in what I'm doing rather than fixing my mistakes. Like expecting it to clamp down if I made a sloppy stop or mute. I mean, I'm not expecting it to fix sloppy playing..

I was using a wall wart that works good with every other pedal I've used it on.

• Members

I can't imagine how {censored}ty this dudes tone is with a SS High gain amp that a decimator can't stop the feedback. Hahahhaha

{censored} you too, and the T2 is a good amp. I've got a Mako Dorado and a Mark IV here too, the Randall is on the cab now. I rotate amps occasionally.

• Members

I've done direct comparisons of the ns2 and decimator, as well as the gstring, Rocktron hush, mxr smart gate and I preferred the ns2 over all of them. I really don't understand the love for the ISP stuff.... Especially for the price.

• Members

dude I use the same exact set up... Guitar > Decimator > T2 = no issues.... I set up the gain at 1-2 o'clock and the gate around -30 depending on the gain level or how close I'm standing next to the cabinet... No tone loss at all. The only issue I have is if I'm playing SUPER loud at 4 or 5 on the volume level and I'm sitting in front, then when the gate closes there's a little squeak or squeal but step a few feet away and it closes beautifully...

Are you using a battery? if it's low it will definitely not work right, make sure you're using a good 9v adapter... What pickups you using, I'm curious? I find the NS-2 to let more noise thru myself... and no tone loss on the ISP.

Only time I ever turn it off is when I'm playing cleans and need the most sustain for those...

and I've had luck with it in the loop too but you have to mess with the loop volume settings... might not be as fast this way.

• Members

Played on it a lil more today. Maybe not as bad as I first described it yesterday in my drunken state but I still prefer the NS2. The NS2 just gives me a more natural feel and no, I did not have the threshold too high at -40. Something about playing the ISP feels squashed and for all I know it's a defective pedal. They both do a good job of eliminating squealing and unwanted feedback but the NS2 is better for me. Sorry if you disagree.

• Members

I will restate my earlier, possibly confusing post.

If you have a lot of noise to begin with, removing extranious noise sources first is helpful. Flourescent lights, computer monitors in close proximity, etc. Also, dimmers on your lighting - if your power is noisy, clean it up! Make your gate work less, if possible.

I use the G-string Rack unit. No problems unless I try stacking distortion pedals on my JVM 410 on O.D. Red....but, {censored}, it's not a magical device!

• Members

I will restate my earlier, possibly confusing post.

If you have a lot of noise to begin with, removing extranious noise sources first is helpful. Flourescent lights, computer monitors in close proximity, etc. Also, dimmers on your lighting - if your power is noisy, clean it up! Make your gate work less, if possible.

I use the G-string Rack unit. No problems unless I try stacking distortion pedals on my JVM 410 on O.D. Red....but, {censored}, it's not a magical device!

While I'm really confused, I thank you for the insightful info.I would have never guessed any of that stuff.

If you read my last possibly confusing post you know I said both pedals eliminate noise well.

• Members

I've heard the NS-2 adds compression as well as high end loss... maybe you're used to the sound and have come to prefer it. A while ago I read that In Flames preferred the compression added with the NS-2 and that's why they went with it with their 5150s...

• Members

USE IT IN THE LOOP FOR ON BOARD GAIN lol... seriously I hated it in front of the amp, moved it to the loop in my 5150 and it was like {censored}ing magic.

IMO most noise gates/reducers work better in the fx loop. I still prefer a rack mount Hush to the isp or ns2 tho. I like noise reduction but also INTENTIONAL feedback.

• 2 months later...

Archived