NPD, ISP Decimator, I am disappoint Son.

Crunchtime

• Members

So, I just sold some stuff and decided to use the proceeds on the highly praised Decimator. I have used my NS-2 for years and always been satisfied but always wanted to try a Decimator because every internet expert said it was 11 billionty times better.

I got the ISP today and plugged it into the amp I'm currently using, a Randall T2. I thought that to be a perfect test, a high gain monster.

By the way, my NS-2 is at my friend's house so I could not compare directly. I fired up the ISP and T2. I tested with the T2 gain at 1 O'clock for starters. If you know the T2, you know this is really high gain at 1 O'clock.

At first I moved the ISP knob until there was no feedback and experimented with more settings. I settled on about -40. I found that if I was going to reduce feedback and squealing at all I would have to deal with anemic tone. To be fair I will have to get my NS2 and directly compare but so far I have no doubt that my NS-2 is superior to this exact pedal.

Anybody else prefer an NS-2 over the Disappointer?

:idk:

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Anybody else prefer an NS-2 over the Disappointer?

:wave:

Yes, I do. It's a much better gate IMHO. It gives you control over the Threshold AND Decay, you can use through the loop and in front of the amp at the same time, it can power your pedals and it costs less = better.

• Members

There is absolutely no difference in tone with it on, off, or even completely out of the chain on my rig.

This....been using my Decimator for years, too. If you set it too high it'll obviously start chopping off notes but I have not found it to actually change my tone one bit.

I use the standard model in front of my amp, too. :idk:

• Members

Poor fella. It must suck to fail at using a pedal with one knob. :lol: j/k

I definitely do not prefer the NS2. Other guitar player uses one, and I use a Decimator Gstring. My rig is silent when I want it to be and roaring when I want it to be. His is noisy as feck.

• Members

This....been using my Decimator for years, too. If you set it too high it'll obviously start chopping off notes but I have not found it to actually change my tone one bit.

I use the standard model in front of my amp, too.

What do you set it at with high gain?

• Members

I'm an NS-2 believer too. I don't dislike the Decimator, but I'd rather have my NS-2.

I would say either that Decimator is faulty, or it's not releasing when you play the way it should.

You may be right. I felt the clamp release was really slow, if that makes sense.

• Members

Yeah, mine works great, in the loop or in the front. I currently run mine in the loop though; out front in only going to kill noise from your guitar/pedals, and not the amp. Additionally, it's not going to stop feedback or problems with microphonic tubes.

• Members

I find that the Decimator is an overall better noise reducer. Quiets hum, fizz, squeals, etc...

I find that the NS-2 is a better gate. If you want that very chopped tight tone the NS-2 does this better.

• Members

Could be it is better with certain amps? If so, it's a hard fail.

Possibly I suppose.

I've used mine with passive and actives and with at least 8 different amps that I can think of all with the same awesome results.

I seriously think yours might be broken because what you're describing is SO vastly different from my experience that I see no other explanation.

• Members
I find that the Decimator is an overall better noise reducer. Quiets hum, fizz, squeals, etc...

I find that the NS-2 is a better gate. If you want that very chopped tight tone the NS-2 does this better.

You may be right. I like the chop.

CHOP.jpg

• Members

Good point. If you want more gated insta-stops, you'll need to increase the dial on the decimator beyond what they recommend (turning it up until noise stops).

Otherwise, another tip is to calibrate it on a medium gain setting, rather than the highest noise amount you are going to use. For instance, I have a 3 channel amp, and if I calibrate the decimator for the large amount of gain I have channel 3 set to, it will over-squash the notes on the 1st and 2nd channels.

Archived