Guitars heavier than a les paul?

gorebreath

• Members

I played a 25th anniversary strat that weighed like 12 pounds or so.

Sounded like {censored}. Really thin, bright, and brittle. Easily the WORST strat i ever heard. Played well tho.

My 89 strat plus deluxe sounded better.

my warmoth chambered hardtail (about 6.5 lbs) resonates way better and actually sounds like a strat.

Hell, even my cheapo starter squier strat sounded better.

• Members

My heavy strat I mentioned earlier has the best overall tone of any guitar I've ever played. It's got a humbucker in the bridge and it just sounds huge. It's just the right chunk of alder and all the stars aligned or something.

My Korina superstrat is lighter and has a much more mid heavy and warmer tone. Both guitars sound good but my alder strat just resonates and has tons of mojo. It's louder and sounds a bit better than my Gibson LP.

• Members

I'm sure it depends on the resonant frequency you're aiming for.

My favorite tones are very bass responsive. Love my LP and use unnecessarily large strings and low tunings. I dig the weight and spongy distorted tones. I also dig some of the dense as fak Japanese strats. I could definitely see how a standard tuning, finesse, or skilled player would aim for guitars more appropriate and less cumbersome.

Also, cheap acrylic guitars can be heavier and terribly lifeless sounding all around pos's.

What's the curb weight on "Brick?" That guitar looks like the offspring of a strat, tele, and sg three-way who got all of the good features.

• Members

I played one of the acrylic Mockingbirds which I would swear to not weighing less than 20 lbs. Ridiculous.

yah, people think im joking when i say it has to be literally 3x a les paul, but it really is. i actually liked the weight after a while, everything else i would pick up after that felt like a toy.

• Members

Agile LP :lol: Mine weighed about 12lbs HAHA. I dont like heavy guitars myself. I have owned both heavy and light and I always prefer the lighter ones. I recently got to borrow a custom built guitar made of mahogany w/ maple cap, brass block under the bridge, HUGE set neck with ebony board that weighed around 14lbs and I didnt find it to be any better than my 8lb Tele and my Ibanez SZ320 that weighs about 8.5. The custom guitar had a little tighter bass response but thats about it :idk: Its all personal preference and it really depends on each individual guitar. I have played plenty of duds in all weight ranges and wood types :lol:

• Members

What's the curb weight on "Brick?" That guitar looks like the offspring of a strat, tele, and sg three-way who got all of the good features.

Unfortunately I don't know. My bathroom scale is busted, and it never worked for weighing guitars before anyway. I can only speak subjectively about it. :o

• Members

The John5 Sig is the heaviest Tele you'd ever use. Otherwise, look into Agile LP copies also.

Yep...my AL-3100 is super heavy.....don't know the exact weight, but it's substantially heavier than a standard Gibson LP.

After playing bass for a few years, I do not complain about the weight of guitars anymore.

• Members

my acrylic warlock has to be about 3x the weight of a les paul

Acrylic guitars in general, and BC Rich ones in particular are heavy as F.

But the heaviest instrument I've ever played was one of these:

big%20gretsch%20doubleneckDSCN8397.jpg

Gretsch double neck. The hang tag literally said "forklift not included".

• Members

My Uncle's 79 Stratocaster weighs more than alot of Les Pauls. It weighs more than my Broe's 72 LP Custom.

Ive played several mid / late 70's Stratocasters that were like boat anchors.

Alot of those strats from that era were hard ash. Nasty heavy wood.

Archived