Wall of Doom.......41 speakers. Check this out

Soundstorm

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

As far as "ambient mics" goes, I would worry about the sound of all those shutters, rattling under the sonic onslaught.

Ever have some fool drive by your place with his thumpin' bass and the pictures on your wall vibrate with every beat till he moves on? This times a thousand.

But I bet it's breathtaking (quite literally!) to stand in front of that!

• Members

tell me you used an awesome fuzz going into that.

Greg, we brought a couple, including my Black Arts Toneworks Pharaoh fuzz, which is my favorite of all time.....but there is simply. no. need. The tone of these amps at full volume is what people using fuzz pedals are trying to achieve.

• Members

That's intense as hell.

Is that the F&S in Lafayette? I've only been there once, but it looks familiar.

Yep, that's it....they're trying to bring it up to full scale venue status, but Lafayette sucks in general for any kind of metal. It's like the same 20 people at any given show unless Crowbar, Down, or Goatwhore are playing Grant St...then there's lots more. (i love all three of those bands, btw....just saying)

• Members

Probably sounds like mess.
:idk:

Playing through a wall of amps is nice... too bad it sounds like shit for the people who actually listen to it.

This is laughable to me since I've heard it for myself.

You'd just have to hear it to believe it, man. These amps are all designed for high output and sound best cranked. Everything is thick, punchy, defined, and yet raw at the same time. If you know how to EQ amps (by ears, not eyes), it sounds perfectly clear and heavy.

• Members

Thing is. While this is cool and all that, the final tone on the record will sound like one guitar amp pretty much anyway.

Do post clips if possible when it's all done. I'd be interested in hearing the end result.

In these sorts of situations, especially when recording, less is often more.

Even so. Cool pics.

• Members

FWIW, I remember reading that SRV's tone was so massive because he also recorded with a room full of amps. And his ears were so attuned to the gear that he could pick out an individual amp to change to get the blend of sounds just right. (like, "go into the amp room and turn the treble up on the super reverb")

• Members

ha. totally unnecessary, for sure.

my practical mind says 'fFUUUck that.' my inner 5 year old chuckles an evil chuckle and reaches for my les paul.

obviously, maintenance concerns never enter this guys mind
:D

Maintenance fees of the amps or the crumbling building from the rawk? :)

• Members

Yep, that's it....they're trying to bring it up to full scale venue status, but Lafayette sucks in general for any kind of metal. It's like the same 20 people at any given show unless Crowbar, Down, or Goatwhore are playing Grant St...then there's lots more. (i love all three of those bands, btw....just saying)

Absolutely true. People in Lafayette just don't seem interested in metal at all. I don't think I've been to a metal show in Lafayette since seeing Collapsar way back in the day.

I didn't know that F&S had metal shows. The one time I went there, some crap band was playing. :lol:

Archived