Wall of Doom.......41 speakers. Check this out

Soundstorm

• Members

I thought i'd repost it for anyone that didn't see it in the "Dropped to F" thread.

My friends' band Red Shield (doom trio) is recording in an old Feed and Seed building, this is all of their equipment minus the Matamp that I'm lending them. I got to plug in and play through all of this at once with a Les Paul Supreme. Epic is a word that gets overused and has lost a lot of its meaning, but the tone and power here were simply Epic!

I can't remember exactly everything involved, but it's a Matamp GT1, 73 Orange OR 120, Ampeg SVT, Sunn Model T, Sunn Concert Bass, Sunn Coliseum Bass w/Slave, Mesa Big Block 750, vintage 6x12 Orange cab w/ Greenbacks, 6x12 Electric cab with V30's, a Sunn 4x15, Mesa Powerhouse 1x15/4x10, two Ampeg Fridge cabs (I think they're both 8x10, but one's a lot older and it may have something else), a 1x18/2x10....and whatever else I might be forgetting. :love::love::love::rawk:

d943e260.jpg

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

So how were they splitting the signal to all of those at once?

He has some kind of badass tube buffered splitter, I didn't really get a good look at it, plus a patch bay. In a normal situation thought, its the bassist to one side and guitarist to the other, plus the Sunn bass gear all slaves into each other.

• Members

His neighbors must be pissed to an epic level also.

The place is in the middle of nowhere, next to a burned down house and some industrial buildings.....kinda reminds me of the Paper St Soap company location from Fight Club.

• Members

The two pieces of gear that surprised me the most were the Sunn Model T....I've never heard one cranked to 10 before through a 6x10. Four KT-88's, and I was just floored by it. The next one was the Mesa Big Block 750....so huge and defined yet clean, running at 2ohms with his Ric bass tuned to drop B. Mixed with the overdrive of the Sunn's it was the best live bass tone I've ever heard.

• Members

Too many bands are doing "wall of sound" gimmick {censored} lately.

It's not practical....I mean that's a rediculous amount of equipment to move. But I'll take that over a cheap {censored}ty high gain head (with the gain cranked) into an even {censored}tier PA.....I'll take that ALL DAY. This basically bypasses the need for a PA. You can sound great and consistent wherever you go, and let's face it, most of the "Sound techs" at places where doom bands play suck balls. All you need is drums and vocals going through the PA and you're set.

And I don't understand calling it a "gimmick", but whatever.

• Members

YES that room looks amazing. Keep us on the loop when this is available after the recording! From the looks of the gear there, and the sheer quantity of it, I feel like its probably my kind of music

Absolutely, I'll post the songs in this thread once they're ready. I think they finished tracking today so we'll see how long mixdown takes. But the music is basically progressive space doom. I think they're awesome. Very curious to see how this turns out!

• Members

Absolutely, I'll post the songs in this thread once they're ready. I think they finished tracking today so we'll see how long mixdown takes. But the music is basically
progressive space doom
. I think they're awesome. Very curious to see how this turns out!

Sounds right up my alley :love:

• Members

YES that room looks amazing.
Keep us on the loop when this is available after the recording! From the looks of the gear there, and the sheer quantity of it, I feel like its probably my kind of music

Yes, it's a pretty huge old warehouse. All wood, very old. Here's some more pics to give you an idea:

IMG_1070.jpg

IMG_1077.jpg

IMG_1069.jpg

Lots of ambient mics out in the room that'll hopefully catch some useful natural reverb also

• Members

That is a mega sweet rig. Anyone who says playing through a wall of amps is dumb has never done it. It's not dumb, it's {censored}ing awesome.

This.

They did it in the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, 00s and are still doing it now - must be a real gimmick/fad for a reason!

• Members

That is a mega sweet rig. Anyone who says playing through a wall of amps is dumb has never done it. It's not dumb, it's {censored}ing awesome.

{censored}in' A.

i could spend a month in that warehouse, and become the next GYBE. Quit my job, and just get wasted.

Archived