what is the purpose of 7 and 8 string guitars?

Miter Gauge

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Most extend the lower range with a low B. To me its just too much bass for a midrange instrument in a band situation. On your own in your basement sounds good but live I would stay with 6. Not harder to play just a bigger neck so need to get adjusted to it.

• Members

7 and 8 strings typically will have a longer scale and have a low B or low B and F# string(s), but yeah dude, don't even think about getting a 7 or 8 string. Guitars are only meant for midrange and you should never go beyond that. However, if there is any ridiculous crazy reason you have to get one, don't ever get a bass player. You've already got all those low notes covered. It would be completely pointless. But seriously, don't get a 7 or 8 string. They have completely no use in modern music at all. They're just a novelty.

• Members

7 and 8 strings typically will have a longer scale and have a low B or low B and F# string(s), but yeah dude, don't even think about getting a 7 or 8 string. Guitars are only meant for midrange and you should never go beyond that. However, if there is any ridiculous crazy reason you have to get one, don't ever get a bass player. You've already got all those low notes covered. It would be completely pointless. But seriously, don't get a 7 or 8 string. They have completely no use in modern music at all. They're just a novelty.

Gotcha so they are more for extending low range than extending the high end.

Thanks.

• Members

Most extend the lower range with a low B. To me its just too much bass for a midrange instrument in a band situation. On your own in your basement sounds good but live I would stay with 6. Not harder to play just a bigger neck so need to get adjusted to it.

This might be the worst, most uneducated answer I've heard anywhere, for anything. This is the internet, and this particular site is den for a scum, so this is a HUGE accomplishment!!! Congratulations...

facepalm+statue.jpg

• Members

Archived