New rig idea.....kinda strange.....single channel MV amp for cleans and dirty

Cliff Fiscal

• Members

Okay, so I've been using a JTM45 with a VFE RAT and MUFF, and it's been good.................but the call of my Matamp GT1 is strong.

BUT it would require a unique set up to work.

I could use the Matamp like I'm using the JTM; NMV mode as a clean platform for pedals. Which I've tried and sounds great, but the Matamp's dirty tones are awesome. I'd like to use those.

My idea is to use the Matamp's MV mode, and boosting it with a pedal for higher gain tones that retain that matamp tone.

The hurdle with this set up, is with the band I'm in, I need semi-clean tones quickly. I could back off my guitar volume, but I find that to be a pain. I don't need pristine cleans, but I need to back it off enough for dynamic changes in the songs and such.

So I'm thinking I can rig up a Boss Line Selector in A/B mode.

Channel A would have my boost pedal or whatever in it pushing the already dirty amp.

Channel B would be nothing. Channel B's level control could be turned down to simulate my guitar's volume control being reduced.

That would allow for quick high gain to clean changes, right?

Has anyone tried something like this? :idk:

My main concern is that I won't be able to achieve both semi-clean and high gain dirty without a giant volume jump?

• Members

Why not just have a ppimv installed on the jtm, and if you want it nvm then just turn it all the way up and you'll have the same circuit as the original nmv, and all the gain you want at low volumes.

I don't think the JTM's gain is what I'm looking for really. The JTM and Matamp are pretty much opposite ends of the spectrum.

The Matamp meshes really well with the other guitar player's tone.

• Members

volume pedal or an eq pedal..

You can even use a Compressor

An EQ might work pretty well....since I could tweak what the cleaner tones sound like. :thu:

Hmmm....interesting options.

A secondary goal is to avoid having to tap dance over multiple pedals to go from clean to dirty......thus, I thought the Line Selector would be a simple solution. Adding the EQ to the "clean" loop, makes even more sense.

Actually, two EQs, one in each loop makes a lot of sense. One to boost and one to reduce. simple, tweakable, and smart. :idea:

• Members

If they are heads, you could run both heads into a stereo cab, one on each side.

or if the matamp has a loop you could use the 4 cable method

Hmmm.....that's not a terrible idea......not a huge fan of a dual rig......would need dual mics for the better gigs, and a soundman that could handle it. I'm usually lucky to get one mic. Convoluted rigs that require a special set up isn't ideal on the road. IMO.

Either way, I'm interested in what the 4 cable method is?

• Members

Just get better with the volume knob man. So much simppler once you get used to it than adding more gear/switches/tone suckers..... I love single chan marshalls and set them up with a heavy ac/dc ish crunch and then boost them. Once i got used to using my volume knob, i can get to clean almost instantly. If you have seperate volumes for the bridge and neck, ser the neck up with the volume way down and just use the toggle. Thats what my other guitarist does with his.

• Members

Having a 2 channel amp would just make all of this even easier, but nothing sounds like that matamp.

Just get better with the volume knob man. So much simppler once you get used to it than adding more gear/switches/tone suckers..... I love single chan marshalls and set them up with a heavy ac/dc ish crunch and then boost them. Once i got used to using my volume knob, i can get to clean almost instantly. If you have seperate volumes for the bridge and neck, ser the neck up with the volume way down and just use the toggle. Thats what my other guitarist does with his.

True. I should just sack up and learn to use my knobs. :D

I just like the convenience of stomping on a pedal for consistent results. Especially, when wearing ear plugs.

Yeah, I had considered using my LP's volume controls in that fashion to make it even easier.......I'd have to turn off the boost, and flip the toggle switch to get back down to clean.

Plus, I'm using an Esquire recently. :o

• Members

Okay, so I've been using a JTM45 with a VFE RAT and MUFF, and it's been good.................but the call of my Matamp GT1 is strong.

I could use the Matamp like I'm using the JTM; NMV mode as a clean platform for pedals. Which I've tried and sounds great, but the Matamp's dirty tones are awesome. I'd like to use those.

My idea is to use the Matamp's MV mode, and boosting it with a pedal for higher gain tones that retain that matamp tone.

The hurdle with this set up, is with the band I'm in, I need semi-clean tones quickly. I could back off my guitar volume, but I find that to be a pain. I don't need pristine cleans, but I need to back it off enough for dynamic changes in the songs and such.

I've been posting this same thing here forever and it seems to be ignored but I am persistent so here we go:

- Get a volume pedal with a minimum volume control. (I use the Boss FV50L).

- Set the minimum volume to be your clean tone, so toe up is clean and toe down is full on OD. You can go from one to the other as fast as you would with a footswitch, maybe faster.

It's the easiest way to use a single channel amp.

• Members

I've been posting this same thing here forever and it seems to be ignored every time, but I am persistent, so here we go again:

- Set the minimum volume to be your clean tone, so toe up is clean and toe down is full on OD. You can go from one to the other as fast as you would with a footswitch, maybe faster.

• Members

I've been posting this same thing here forever and it seems to be ignored every time, but I am persistent, so here we go again:

Interesting, haven't heard this one yet. :thu:

I thought about doing something similar it my EB Volume pedal. Just it doesn't have a min. volume knob, but I figured I could modify it with some adjustable bolts/feet to set a min. volume stop.

I'll look into the Boss volume though, that would be easier.

How do volume pedals work with an already dirty amp and a boost? Or would I have to kick back the vol. pedal, and kick off the boost?

• Members

Interesting, haven't heard this one yet.
:thu:

I thought about doing something similar it my EB Volume pedal. Just it doesn't have a min. volume knob, but I figured I could modify it with some adjustable bolts/feet to set a min. volume stop.

I'll look into the Boss volume though, that would be easier.

How do volume pedals work with an already dirty amp and a boost? Or would I have to kick back the vol. pedal, and kick off the boost?

For semi cleans you can leave the boost on. For a real clean sound you will need to take the boost off. I normally take the boost off a few seconds before going into the clean part and then just kick back the volume pedal for the clean tone. You don't really have to do both at the exact same time.

• Members

For semi cleans you can leave the boost on. For a real clean sound you will need to take the boost off. I normally take the boost off a few seconds before going into the clean part and then just kick back the volume pedal for the clean tone. You don't really have to do both at the exact same time.

true......I'm just accustom to that sudden !BOOM!.

In my current band, it's pretty rare that I need full on squeeky cleans anyway. I just want that killer amp gain. :love:

• Members

I have a boss line selector pedal too. You could do what you're describing in the OP, yes. But it does suck some tone IMO...

Yeah. I'm aware of that. The Line Selector does suck, but it's what I have. If it works like I want it to, I could upgrade eventually to something better.

Live, that tone suck isn't a huge deal.

• Members

true......I'm just accustom to that sudden !BOOM!.

In my current band, it's pretty rare that I need full on squeeky cleans anyway. I just want that killer amp gain.
:love:

It will be fine. Just set the minimum volume to where it's clean enough with the boost on. Not only it works great but it's a much more natural transition than switching channels.

• Members

This, I use a volume pedal and it works great also.

• Members

Ah, that made me think of another scenario.

Am I limited to my main gain sound? For instance, how would I go about using a big muff pedal sound instead of my amp drive tones?

I understand I could use my clean tone with the big muff, but won't that be an attenuated input signal?

Archived