New rig idea.....kinda strange.....single channel MV amp for cleans and dirty

Cliff Fiscal

• Members

Ah, that made me think of another scenario.

Am I limited to my main gain sound? For instance, how would I go about using a big muff pedal sound instead of my amp drive tones?

I understand I could use my clean tone with the big muff, but won't that be an attenuated input signal?

it works just fine. I sometimes use my DS-1 for a different distortion sound, I just place the DS-1 before the volume pedal, use the volume pedal to clean up the tone then add the DS-1 on top of the clean tone. It's fine, you're pretty much playing through a clean amp when the volume pedal is up.

• Members

okay, another question......The FX loop.....can this be utilized to aid this sort of setup?

FX loop can be a great place for a strictly level boost only for solo's but as it's after your preamp, it's not going to help with going from clean to dirty, no.

• Members

Tried a few things with the line selector. Various boost and drive pedals. My favorite was a Zvex Super Hard On. Next was a Boss EQ. The drive pedals, even at lower settings was meh.

It worked as expected, clean to dirty, but it is certainly different. Going to have to mess around with it more at a higher volume.

As of right now, I'm not sure its right for me?

• Members

Just get better with the volume knob man. So much simppler once you get used to it than adding more gear/switches/tone suckers..... I love single chan marshalls and set them up with a heavy ac/dc ish crunch and then boost them. Once i got used to using my volume knob, i can get to clean almost instantly. If you have seperate volumes for the bridge and neck, ser the neck up with the volume way down and just use the toggle. Thats what my other guitarist does with his.

That's old school, and that's how i do it too.:thu:

Archived