Ban on supersized drinks?

Hessian3

• Members

I drink the 'regular' size when ever I order something, which used to be the large size when I was a kid. With that said, I can't remember the last time I ordered a fountain drink where they didn't fill up the cup with ice, to the top, and then add the soda. This of course results in a 16oz glass holding maybe 9oz of actual soda.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

What I find funny is the law does not cover convenience stores, where a majority of people who do drink alot of soda most likely buy it.

Anyway, this law is the perfect example of the government trying to fix a big problem by suppressing one symptom out of a list of several worse ones, without ever getting down to root of the problem. They most likely will not see a change in obesity rates what so ever with the passing of this law.

but politicians will feel like they are doing something.

Very serious problem, because of the obesity related health care costs. And you know we *all* are going to be paying for that.

edit: i think the govt is going to get into even more regulation in this area because of the long term costs....

• Members

but politicians will feel like they are doing something.

Very serious problem, because of the obesity related health care costs. And you know we *all* are going to be paying for that.

edit: i think the govt is going to get into even more regulation in this area because of the long term costs....

How is this any different than cigarettes?

• Members

What I find funny is the law does not cover convenience stores, where a majority of people who do drink alot of soda most likely buy it.

Anyway, this law is the perfect example of the government trying to fix a big problem by suppressing one symptom out of a list of several worse ones, without ever getting down to root of the problem. They most likely will not see a change in obesity rates what so ever with the passing of this law.

It's not the government that is the problem, it's the small interests who line the pockets of the politicians and have a few votors that will swing one way or the other (but always vote) depending on the politicians stance on the topic.

• Members

It's not the government that is the problem, it's the small interests who line the pockets of the politicians and have a few votors that will swing one way or the other (but always vote) depending on the politicians stance on the topic.

I thought that's how the US government worked? :confused:

:cop::thu:

• Members

The system is fine, just the people in it are the problem. Change the culture, eliminate the small interest groups, and get the masses to weigh in on topics.

I understand and also agree with you on that. I was just jabbin' a you :thu:

When I said the government, I meant as in the people in power, not the actual system.

• Members

Fatties will just go to the store and end up buying MORE pop. If they really want it, they will find a way to get it. The real problem is those {censored}ing scooters. Those should be for old people ONLY!! Not for fatasses that are too lazy to walk for themselves. Like seriously, WTF is going on!??! People have gotten too lazy to walk for themselves anymore and instead buy some scooter to sit their fat asses on and motor around. It's madness!!!

• Members

Good ol Nanny state BS. Why punish everyone? If they want regulations..they should make it to where fattys cant buy sodas, sweets, etc.

Not to mention that sweets / treats / sodas can be bought with foodstamps. I always love driving thru the projects & seeing the morbidly obese welfare queens sitting out front, watching cars go by. Go in the grocery on welfare day & look at all the sodas & sweets your money is buying for them.

Seeing lardos in the electric carts in walmart / other stores pisses me off. Some morbidly obese woman using one, when an elderly person who needs it could be using it.

• Members

I drink the 'regular' size when ever I order something, which used to be the large size when I was a kid. With that said, I can't remember the last time I ordered a fountain drink where they didn't fill up the cup with ice, to the top, and then add the soda. This of course results in a 16oz glass holding maybe 9oz of actual soda.

I think you are overestimating the actual amount :thu: (it is 7 oz) I drink unsweetened ice tea and I swear that once you fill the cup with ice you get two or three drinks and the cup is empty.

From this website http://www.pdco.com/node/88289

"20 oz cup of soda with ice requires 8.75 oz of product"

Using my math - a 32 oz drink /w ice gets you 14 oz of product ( a little over one can of soda)

• Members

Stupid law, what good is it? Fast food joint on every corner and getting worse by the day. What's the use of worrying about obesity with sugary drink size when the rest of the menu has so much fat and crap in it worse than the drinks.

If they want to fight obesity then start early and get kids in the right mind set with major mandatory exercise programs and eating habits at school, etc.... Hell a majority of the food the schools serve is junk and they are worried about resturants.

• Members

Fatties will just go to the store and end up buying MORE pop. If they really want it, they will find a way to get it. The real problem is those {censored}ing scooters. Those should be for old people ONLY!! Not for fatasses that are too lazy to walk for themselves. Like seriously, WTF is going on!??! People have gotten too lazy to walk for themselves anymore and instead buy some scooter to sit their fat asses on and motor around. It's madness!!!

This.

• Members

We have too many people, there should be nothing done to limit the dangerous vices. Really. If you're dumb enough to guzzle/smoke or whatever, good riddance. Let's just make sure you pass before you can breed!
:thu:

Derek

So about 99% of the world. What is truely healthy? Very few people live clean even if they think they do. So much crap in everything we eat, drink, breath, etc.. That person you see smoking and guzzling down a big gulp everyday might out live you with ease.:lol:

Archived