The NFL needs to get their officals back.

Shine

• Members

Is the ref "technically' correct because of the rules? --- If both players have possession at same time the offensive player is awarded the ball? Anyone know 4 sure? :confused:

I thought the replacement refs would get better over time (I still do) but no doubt they had a rough night last night/most of the weekend, cant deny that --- the regular refs sucked as well but we want them back

:lol:

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Is the ref "technically' correct because of the rules? --- If both players have possession at same time the offensive player is awarded the ball? Anyone know 4 sure?
:confused:

Yes. That is the rule. The argument is whether the passing team actually acquired possession after the defender - which is what it *looks* like on replay. This may be one of those 'possession/football move' issues. The ball is basically up for grabs until possession is established. During that time the offensive player can compete for possession even after the defender touches and secures the ball. If they both have it when possession is established, then passing team wins.

edit: re: this play was really a final straw type deal. If this was the only controversial play in the game & professional refs made the call people would get over it. Pro refs would explain in detail though.

edit#2: per the rule book, first control is the key here - not what happens when possession is established.

• Members

Simultaneous Catch. If a pass is caught simultaneously by two eligible opponents, and both players retain it, the ball belongs to the passers.
It is not a simultaneous catch if a player gains control first and an opponent subsequently gains joint control.

I think it's clear Jennings had possession and Tate latched on afterward.

• Members

Oh, and the NFL is holding a news conference today to address the call.

Think they'll overturn it?

No. But I think the key word in your quote is 'control'. Which is where I'm wrong above. Jennings had control before Tate. Maybe when both feet came down and possession was established they both had it, but according to that exception clause - I dont think that matters. First one with control has it.

• Members

The whole thing about who came down with the ball shouldn't have been an issue at all, as there should have been a penalty on the play. That was the most flagrant offensive interference I've ever seen. The receiver just flat out pushed the DB to the ground. How could they not see that?

• Members
The whole thing about who came down with the ball shouldn't have been an issue at all, as there should have been a penalty on the play. That was the most flagrant offensive interference I've ever seen. The receiver just flat out pushed the DB to the ground. How could they not see that?

Actually it happens alot on jump balls/hail marys in foorball, more than ya think

The defender made a bonehead play by trying to catch it instead of swatting it down, your taught to swat it towards the ground so its a dead ball and play over! --- Im not defending anyone here, but if he did (swat it) that the call would not have happened

:cool:

• Members

Actually it happens alot on jump balls/hail marys in foorball, more than ya think

The defender made a bonehead play by trying to catch it instead of swatting it down, your taught to swat it towards the ground so its a dead ball and play over! --- Im not defending anyone here, but if he did (swat it) that the call would not have happened

Did you happen to catch the Lions game on Sunday?

• Members

• Members

This. The swatting thing isn't necessarily the "best" play as evident by the Lions/Titans game. And if Sheik were to see this post he can attest to the Texans/Jags game in 2010 where the texans were burned in the same manner.

Either way the call should've been called PI regardless of whether it is usually called or not that was just blatant as all hell. Simultaneous my ass.

• Members

Everybody is talking about the last play of the game and seems to have forgotten all the rest of the officiating absurdity in the 4th quarter. That, and the 8 sacks in the first half alone.

what makes you think anyone forgot about anything? because people are focusing on the one GIGANTIC {censored}ING CALL that was blown? that literally cost a team a game... ONE {censored}ING CALL.

• Members

what makes you think anyone forgot about anything? because people are focusing on the one GIGANTIC {censored}ING CALL that was blown? that literally cost a team a game... ONE {censored}ING CALL.

Because of the previous bad calls that would have either stopped the drive earlier, or negated the Packers touchdown drive previously. It's all bad.

• Members

i am loving these refs. pure chaos on the field = lulz had. enjoying it.

Perfect bait for trolls too, since many were already emotionally involved even before a single word was typed.

On a more serious note, even if the call is proven to be correct beyond any reproach, the most important implication of this call will be a much stronger push by many to get the regular referees back.

• Members
Oh, and the NFL is holding a news conference today to address the call.

Think they'll overturn it?

The league always sides with the refs. They are always right, even when they are wrong.

And when the league is in the middle of a labor dispute with the real officials, saying "yup, the replacement officials screwed up big time" would be suicide.

If that screwup costs the Packers a playoff berth, I will really be pissed.

Archived