The NFL needs to get their officals back.

Shine

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You guys are missing the point entirely. It's not about how much they work vs how much you work or how much they make vs how much you make.

It's about how much better the sport is with the real refs vs how bad it is without them. It's a skill and judgement based position, obviously the drop off from the real refs to the replacements is steep and dangerous to the players. The NFL has the money, they are being greedy and saying its fine to let the fans suffer and endanger the players to save a tiny amount of money.

• Members
Sports have just been totally {censored}ed over the past few years. 2 hockey lockouts now basketball last year, NFL refs this year wtf is going on here.

It's all about getting a piece of the pie

Well guess what? I get a meezly 3% raise each year if I'm lucky...and I work for a multi-million dollar company. Surely they could do better than that dont ya think?? :confused:

....Oh yeah, and I bust my ass to make $40,000 a year :o

• Members

I dont think they are that good yet, but they are better than pre-season games from what i watched, Here is 1 thing thats overlooked imo...

The longer the strike goes on and the more the replacement refs do the job, the better they will get at the actual job and more confidence. They are doing a admirable job under the circumstances, (the players + coaches will push the envelope as much as possible, like the subsitute teacher :lol:)

I do think they will improve as the season progresses, there are some refs that can work the NFL right now, if the striking refs *overplay* the hand they are dealt, some of them wont have a job when it ends. -- I think this happened in MLB about 10 years or so ago

Just a thought

:idk:

• Members

It's weird. The refs are like a strange underclass in the NFL. My view is that the NFL is already slinging around many, many millions of dollars on players. Spend the relatively few bucks to make your refs full time pros. If it's worth it to play these games, it's worth it to make SURE that they are officiated correctly. Anything less shows complete contempt for the players, the coaches, the fans, and the sport itself. It's totally {censored}ing ridiculous.

• Members

It's weird. The refs are like a strange underclass in the NFL. My view is that the NFL is already slinging around many, many millions of dollars on players. Spend the relatively few bucks to make your refs full time pros. If it's worth it to play these games, it's worth it to make SURE that they are officiated correctly. Anything less shows complete contempt for the players, the coaches, the fans, and the sport itself. It's totally {censored}ing ridiculous.

well said, i agree.

• Members

I don't know about you guys, but I wouldn't be complaining if I made six figures and only had to work a couple of days a week for 5-6 months out of the year. Just sayin'.

But you don't have the skill to be in this position. Very few people do. This is why they can command and demand it.

Also, refs put in between 25-35 hours a week, not just a couple days. There is intermittent training throughout the year as well.

• Members

What's funny are the majority of fans upset with replacement refs or the actual refs are the ones whose team lost that week. For some that have been favored in bad calls, its ok as long at your team won.
:lol:

Tell field goal kickers to kick lower.

I recall a Browns Denver game in the 80's that was decided on a very high fg kick over the r crossbar. Every pic showed it was outside the bar, but Denver won and knocked the Browns out of the super bowl.

Missing a call because you saw it wrong is far different from not knowing the {censored}ing rules. The regular officials make the former type of mistake fairly regularly, but almost never the latter. The replacement refs are making a LOT of the latter. Look at SF/MIN yesterday. Harbaugh was awarded a challenge after he called his last timeout, when he should not have been. Not only did they give him that challenge, they gave him his already used timeout back, which allowed him to challenge another call. That is a HUGE series of errors, not of judgement, but of knowledge.

• Members

Missing a call because you saw it wrong is far different from not knowing the {censored}ing rules.
The regular officials make the former type of mistake fairly regularly, but almost never the latter. The replacement refs are making a LOT of the latter. Look at SF/MIN yesterday. Harbaugh was awarded a challenge after he called his last timeout, when he should not have been. Not only did they give him that challenge, they gave him his already used timeout back, which allowed him to challenge another call. That is a HUGE series of errors, not of judgement, but of knowledge.

Amen.

• Members

Ref's are a part time job and according to ESPN said the avg annual pay for NFL refs was close to 150 grand.. They are pissed because MLB Ump's earn almost 200k/season. Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh 16 games mostly 1 day per week each season... vs 162 games 5-7 days per week? I think the MLB refs have a bigger beef about NFL Official's getting paid too much for part time work.

If the refs expect full time pay and player type benefits, maybe they need to get a different job.

Interesting when these folks sign on for something knowing exactly what the pay scale etc is.. idk.. why be a ref then?

Executive board members of big corporations do very little work yet make large salaries so it isn't unheard of.

• Members

It really cracks me up to hear so many people wanting the old officials back. All people ever do is bitch and complain about officials and hate all of them yet they want the real officials back. It cracks me up. I completely agree, I want the real officials back but it just seems funny for people to seem really appreciative of officials all of a sudden.

• Members

It really cracks me up to hear so many people wanting the old officials back. All people ever do is bitch and complain about officials and hate all of them yet they want the real officials back. It cracks me up. I completely agree, I want the real officials back but it just seems funny for people to seem really appreciative of officials all of a sudden.

my girlfriend bitches about me farting all the time. now imagine if I stopped farting, and started {censored}ting my pants...

• Members
:lol:

That's actually not a bad description.

haha it's spot on, think about it! Any of us young enough to remember can relate that. You either were the dickhead hot shot kid that convinced the substitute that "20 minute lights out nap" really actually was what they did in that class, or you were one of the kids who just wanted to do work while one of the dickhead kids kept giving the teacher the run around.

Same situation with the way all the coaches and players are challenging every single whistle that gets blown.

I think that's one of the bigger problems. They are making some SERIOUSLY dumb calls. But also, they're not getting any respect from anyone around, which makes them question absolutely every flag thrown, or decision made. They can't get better because they're not really being allowed to get better.

• Members

I think the refs deserve a good salary. It's one of those jobs that people have no clue how hard it is. I think people would really realize how tough it is if they tried it even for a youth football game. I think people completely take it for granted how hard it is. Sure they only ref one game a a week. They hold many ref conferences to train and try and be the best. As stated before, the NFL makes a {censored} ton of money. These guys deserve what they want.

• Members

The players could make it happen if they stood, as a union, with the refs. They could easily tell Goodel that they will not suit up or take the field next Sunday if the regular officials are not back.

{censored} would get settled quick.

Even as a casual Pats fan, last nights game was a joke. It'll just be a rugby match by week 8. And I don't mean to insult Rugby.

• Members

Entitlement....it's the American way!

I wish I could have a full pension and make that much jack working 'PART TIME'

I could care less about a few bad calls. They will get better over time, but people making that kind of money to ref a game once a week is rediculous

I couldn't disagree more. Those guys are out there getting hit by 250 lb+ guys who are essentially wearing body armor. Refs should get freakin' danger pay.

• Members

Noooooooooooo chance of the players 'not playing' and missing a weeks paycheck because 'some part time ref decides to strike', ---- these players career are small and the window to make $$ is small as well, they are NOT missing a paycheck because of this

What about when the other refs come back, will they be game sharp? will they be ready ASAP? its not like we didnt bitch about them before,:lol: i still say these current refs can improve in due time, the problem is due to the fact the league doesnt have time to really train these guys - i DO think they will be better at week 12 than week 3

You guys have some real short memories with the old refs, really short!

:o

• Members

I think the refs deserve a good salary. It's one of those jobs that people have no clue how hard it is. I think people would really realize how tough it is if they tried it even for a youth football game. I think people completely take it for granted how hard it is. Sure they only ref one game a a week. They hold many ref conferences to train and try and be the best. As stated before, the NFL makes a {censored} ton of money. These guys deserve what they want.

I agree but I personally don't think the replacement refs are doing as bad as the hype. Yes they are far from being the best but the announcers, coaches and players want to overdramatize every call even if it's a great call or a suspect call. I personally get sick of hearing them whine about it. You don't hear the announcers, coaches and players giving the regular NFL refs this much analyzing even when they make multiple horrible calls during games and it happens every week regardless of the refs. It's a tough game to call perfectly and people will gripe about calls regardless of who the refs are.

I agree the NFL needs it's real refs back ASAP and need to pay them justly but until that happens IMO these guys are doing the best they can and with the circumstances aren't doing as horrible as the hype.

Archived