are you guys having the HARDEST time selling gear right now?

guitarbilly74

• Members

Bites are fewer but it's still possible if people are realistic with their sale prices. I bought a Tweaker 15 head off of CL 3 weeks ago for $300 and sold a Vintage Modern halfstack for $1200 two days ago. On the flip side I saw a dude trying to sell a 1960A cab this morning with a $699 asking price. He is going to find the the market a little tough.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Bites are fewer but it's still possible if people are realistic with their sale prices. I bought a Tweaker off of CL 3 weeks ago and sold a Vintage Modern halfstack two days ago. On the flip side I saw a dude trying to sell a 1960A cab with a $699 asking price. He probably thinks the market is tough.

You sold your VM? Why? I think the tones you got from that amp were bloody awesome.

• Members

You know how it is, the quest never ends.

It did do this very well though...

8kbe3mAJGSw

To be honest it was just too big. I probably should have bought a 212 cab for it and kept the head but I was ready to move on anyway. I bought the Tweaker as an experiment to see if I could get my Marshall tone from a smaller package. I had heard that they do both Fender and Marshall tones exceptionally well. It turns out they really do. The Marhall tones are really convincing and the Fender clean to light modern country crunch tones are sick. I haven't had a chance to make a decent clip with it but I stuck a mic in front of it when I first got it and just strummed a few chords. This is what I got for clean tone.

cl0rVQxGchM

• Members

dude. Our market sucks on it's own already... Currently, there's a MIM tele listed for $500, due to a random pickup upgrade. Also, all the stock MIM strats are starting to hit $350.

There's even a Gibson SG Faded for $850 - however, upon further inspection it has been plecked, received a bigspy, bridge upgrade, and it's one of the limited edish crescent moon inlay ones with the ebony boards, kinda the precursor to the "faded" series. I have one. Sick guitars.

Selling {censored} here is seriously ridiculous. Buying... god damn. I haven't seen a good deal on here in months. Everyone just wants to screw anyone over. I can't remember what I found, but one was so bad I had a text typed up to him to tell him "he's why buying and selling music gear here sucks" but I realized... who cares. He can list his {censored} for whatever he wants, and I don't have to buy it.

• Members
You've had luck with speakers and cabs, no?
:lol:

I'd say I disagree. I sold a pickup, 2 speakers, and 3 pedals relatively quick within the last 6 months. You don't seem like a stickler with price, so that sucks that you're having a rough time selling in LA.

Not really, it took me 3 {censored}ing months to sell those speakers and I ended up selling 2 for the price of 1, roughly. But at least it went to a HCAF bro so {censored}ing A :love:

But yeah, I don't think I am being unreasonable with any of my prices (see sig) but still. I've been trying to sell that {censored}ing EMG for 2 months now for less than half of the new price, still nothing. It's ridiculous, I have never seen anything like this. Back in the day, 2 weeks was a long time, now {censored} just sits for months.

• Members

I dont even bother to look @ the local CL ad's. 99.9% of the time, it's n00b beginner jusnk, or just common place stuff that I can find cheaper elsewhere. Squier affinity strats, crate SS 1x10 combos, etc. I gotta look @ Nashville CL to find anything decent.

I quit selling stuff on CL because the responders usually cant even read. An ad will simply state "NO TRADES" , ...but will still get the "Would you be interested in trading the guitar for a set of exhaust manifolds for a 1978 ford grenada, and a nice leather jacket? I could also throw in some Playstation 1 games? PLEASE REPLY ASAP!!" responses.

• Members

Take it to Guitar Center. They'll give you a fair price.

I actually had some luck with GC, but only to sell stuff I bought really cheap to being with. I bought a Hughes and Kettner Switchblade for $400 a while ago, sold it to GC a month later for the same price, they put it up for $799 and sold it really fast, I was surprised they actually were able to move that amp at that price. I mean, it's a good amp but still.

GC sucks for pedals though, they give you almost nothing and they don't buy used pickups.

• Members

I actually had some luck with GC, but only to sell stuff I bought really cheap to being with. I bought a Hughes and Kettner Switchblade for $400 a while ago, sold it to GC a month later for the same price, they put it up for $799 and sold it really fast, I was surprised they actually were able to move that amp at that price. I mean, it's a good amp but still.

GC sucks for pedals though, they give you almost nothing and they don't buy used pickups.

I was being sarcastic. But I have gotten great deals off the GC used website. My most recent score was a Keeley Time Machine Boost for $130. They retail for $289. When I pulled it out of the box, it was perfect. Like brand new perfect. Came in the Keeley box with all the paperwork. I was floored.

• Members

I have a 2 channel Dual Rec that I've been trying to sell for a month, and it won't friggin move. I've dropped it $150 from my original asking price, too.

It's not just instruments, I had a set of Jeep doors that I was selling on CL for a solid $200-400 under eBay completed auction prices. Those took a long time to move as well, and when I finally sold them, I still ended up letting them go for $50 under my asking price.

I don't think it's the economy though. I was buying and selling a lot of gear during the recession and had no problem. We're well out of the recession and now I can't sell anything, and it seems like there's nothing good out there to buy, either.

• Members

I have not had good luck with GC and used pedals either. I recently bought a used BD2 that worked for about 20 minutes and then died. I opened it up to see if it was something simple like a bad jack connection and saw many resoldered joints on the pcb which told me there had been attempted but failed repairs already so I contacted GC and asked for a replacement. They told me they didn't have another but they would get one from a local store if I agreed to pay the freight. I said fine. I called the day it was supposed to be in only to find out they didn't even order it because they needed me to come pay for it in advance.

At this point I was pissed and told the guy

1) they already sold me a defective one which this one was supposed to replace

2) I probably would have done that days earlier if they had only told me that the day I first called.

So I drove to GC and waited in line for what seemed like forever while some A-hole infront of me yapped loudly on his cell phone while checking out and held up everyone until he was done with his retarded conversation before completing his transaction. It wasn't short either, the dickhead held up the line for at least 10 minutes. When I finally got up to the counter and gave the defective pedal to the sales guy he scanned it and anounced that it was originally taken in as a non working pedal and that it should have been sent to their repair shop but someone working there screwed up and just stuck it in the display case. It was tough but I was late getting back to work at this point so I bit my tongue paid the difference between the two pedals plus freight and left. A day later the pedal came in the mail and wouldn't you guess.....it was modified by the previous owner. No mention of mods of coarse. Needless to say I'm done with getting used pedals from GC.

• Members

The phishing programs on CL are pretty annoying but easy to spot. Some of them are so dumb it makes you wonder who would be stupid enough to answer them. Just keep reposting and you will eventually find a buyer. I have a rediculously long commute so I usually post my stuff near my home and near my job. Most of the time I sell my stuff through the job location posts.

• Members

I haven't sold anything in a very long time as I don't feel like letting stuff go for so cheap. Trading has worked out for me really well though. I procured two quality guitars from one that way. Buying has also been good to me of late. I recently bought a Basson vertical slant 2x12" with Eminence Legends for $150, a BAT Pharaoh Fuzz for $100, and at the beginning of summer a 1969 Sunn Sceptre for $400. Usually I'll email a pretty low offer, and they'll counter with something higher. Then I'll email back saying that I'll let my offer stand, and they can contact me any time if they decide to sell it to me at that price. Nine times out of ten I get people emailing me back in less than a day saying they would like to do the deal.

• Members

Get it ready and I'll send you a money order for way more then you are asking because I'm currently on sabbatical in Papua New Guinea but my limousine drivers cousin ,Eustice.. will pick it up from you asap so have it properly packaged and ready to go upon arrival .

• Members

I was lucky to have sold my Ampeg halfstack about a month ago, then again, I sold it for $600.

There was this kid who called about one of my cabs three years ago, asking for $50 off. I said fine.

Then asked if I can bring it to their gig at the El Rey, and I was like either you drive out here to Orange County to pick it up, or I charge you the full price of the ad if I bring it over there. The kid had the nerve to ask "How come?", and I was like "Do you know how much gas I would need to drive there on a CRV at {censored}ing 5 pm on a Saturday and back?". :facepalm:

• Members
There was this kid who called about one of my cabs three years ago, asking for $50 off. I said fine.

Then asked if I can bring it to their gig at the El Rey, and I was like either you drive out here to Orange County to pick it up, or I charge you the full price of the ad if I bring it over there. The kid had the nerve to ask "How come?", and I was like "Do you know how much gas I would need to drive there on a CRV at {censored}ing 5 pm on a Saturday and back?".
:facepalm:

I know, these days you have to go the extra mile to close a deal. I had to send my buyer new vids to prove the amp was the same as the one in my existing Youtube vids, had to drive an hour from my house to meet the buyer and had to knock $100 off my asking price AFTER we agreed on the buy price with the 2 hours of driving. He found one $100 cheaper at a GC and leveraged a meet comp out of me. I could have pointed out that shipping and tax was going to make that amp more than mine anyway but I didn't want to start the whole process all over again so I played along. That stuff just comes with the territory these days unless you are selling some highly desirable vintage gear. There seems to be no dickering on Valco, Gretsch, Gibson, Silvertone & similar lofi amps from the '50s & '60s. Those deals are more like a road race. The first to the seller's doorstep with the cash wins.

Archived