are you guys having the HARDEST time selling gear right now?

guitarbilly74

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I bought a Marshall 1960A for $200 yesterday. I was told it had Greenbacks in it, which would have been an epic score, but instead it turns out to be loaded with the standard 75's. Still a great deal IMHO.

I am finding it much easier to trade than to sell outright. Unless you have something that someone really wants in a bad way, taking a bath is expected.

• Members

I find that it really depends on what you are selling... Somethings I have sell super fast, others sell very slowly... Take for example, I have a Planet Waves Strobe tuner that was designed for a desk. It is super accurate, and I have listed it for $25, but what I have found is that no one has even heard of it. If it was a Korg or a Peterson or something like that, I know that I would be able to sell it. Hell, my Turbo Tuner sold within hours of me posting it...

Cole

I agree it seems even more so these days though, more focused/narrow market than ever.

• Members

I'm having so-so luck selling things right now. I was having great luck on TGP until just recently but now its just too crowded with ads.

I'm having good luck with basic meat and potatoes kinds of items...like Strats. A reasonably priced Mexi standard Strat will still sell pretty fast in Atlanta. I'm having trouble selling stomp boxes. Unless its boutique or vintage, I'm having no luck at all.

The time of year has something to do with it, IMO. September and October aren't really good months for selling music gear...other than marching band instruments. Sept and Oct are months for spending money on back to school and college tuition. People are also starting to save money for the upcoming Xmas season. Buying will pick up again in a few weeks.

• Members

I think it's like every other market.

The ones that needed to sell have sold. The ones that haven't sold aren't in a hurry so they'll sit on it.

Likewise for buyers. The ones that wanted to buy have bought and everyone else is just waiting for the anal rape 90% discoun.

• Members
Yep, got my Hamer SATF for sale for a whopping $140 and I can't get anyone to bite. Nothing is selling: Computers, random {censored} for trucks & cars.

I just recently. a Korean SATF for $260 on Ebay. I've had good luck recently. A couple items brought more than my BIN, a couple sold for my BIN and I sold two Mackie subs via CL for more than I paid new for them. I have had a VT15 Vox on Ebay that hasn't sold after two listings (even though it gets lots of hits and numerous saves) but there are so many more bottom-feeder amps and guitars out there than are actually wanted/needed so its pretty understandable.

• Members

I've had pretty good luck with CL this year- sold an Eden bass amp, Ampeg bass pre, some studio mics, stage monitors, and an old Fender Princeton amp. In the process of selling a squire p-bass and a surfboard. I price them a little less than top used prices and will accept a lower offer but not much lower.

• Members

Serious hard time. But it's not surprising. The very need for us to sell gear is what's depth-charging the market.

I think we just need to be more conservative right now. Just a cycle that it's not the right time to rely on buy-try-sell technique. Much of my stuff that isn't selling is older stuff. We're in a trough for that kind of thing right now, but as people re-discover the value of cheap {censored} :D some our good gear will start selling well again.

This thread is a political, btw. ;)

• Members

the market has been down here for about 6-7 years. theres always a mountain of stuff for sale and the prices are ridiculously low. the economy has been {censored}ed royally for close to ten years here. everyone is mortgaged to death and this city is now mostly asian and south asian, not many musicians left here to buy gear.

• Members

I've been trying to unload a couple speaker cabs, a Boss GE-7 and a cheapo Ibanez for a little while now. I think most of it is pretty reasonably priced, but I'm not getting any takers. I did score a nice condition Fender fat strat for $225 back in August though.

• Members
I've been trying to unload a couple speaker cabs, a Boss GE-7 and a cheapo Ibanez for a little while now. I think most of it is pretty reasonably priced, but I'm not getting any takers. I did score a nice condition Fender fat strat for $225 back in August though.

where are you selling them?

• Members

I am. I've never seen anything even close to this. Even cheap {censored} like pickups etc are taking MONTHS to sell. Been running ads here, CL with zero bites. Is the economy really
this
{censored}ed up?

You've had luck with speakers and cabs, no? :lol:

I'd say I disagree. I sold a pickup, 2 speakers, and 3 pedals relatively quick within the last 6 months. You don't seem like a stickler with price, so that sucks that you're having a rough time selling in LA.

• Members

I've sold a couple of small things fairly easily, for what I consider fair (as in not ludicrously low) prices. Some stuff just isn't moving though. My SG has been for sale for a while. I thought the mirror pick guard was putting people off, so I put a black one on it, and it still hasn't sold. Yeah, I get all the chumps making ridiculous offers to trade for cheapo asian crap like Schecters and LTDs. I've gotten so many goddamn offers to trade for Peavey Valvekings. Why the {censored} do so many people have Valvekings, and what makes them think it's worth anywhere near as much as an SG? Obviously a large number of the lowball offers are due to the crappy gear market, and to be honest I don't care. I don't NEED to sell the guitar. I'll just wait patiently, and hang on to it until it sells for a fair price.

Archived