New pickup thread! LOL help me out

guitarbilly74

• Members

So I think I am down to three choices now for a bridge pickup for my SG, need to decide on one of them. I need to make some kind of chart so {censored} is organized and easy to compare.... so here we go:

What I am looking for:

Slightly less output, but not weak.

A bit more presence.

A good amount of bass but a little tighter.

What I currently have:

DiMarzio Super Distortion.

Description(from DM site): Output: 425 / Treble: 5.5 / Mids: 7.5 / Bass: 8.

This is my starting point and I'd say I am happy with that sound for the most part but would like to improve a little on the areas I described above.

Pickups I am considering:

1- DiMarzio Breed:

Description: Output: 356 / Treble: 6.5 / Mids: 9 / Bass: 8.

2 - DiMarzio Evolution:

Description: Output: 404 / Treble: 6.5 / Mids: 7 / Bass: 6.

3- DiMarzio Evo2:

Description: Output: 375 / Treble: 6 / Mids: 7.5 / Bass: 6.

Any other suggestions would be great, it doesn't have to be DiMarzio either, but I know different companies use different volume/tone scales so try to describe them as close to the scale above as possible.

And of course, Option 4 is I should STFU and just keep what I have. :lol: If that's your suggestion, I hear you bro, but GAS is a mother{censored}er.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Set of Duncan A2 Pros, or a set of '59s. I can't ever fully jive with Dimarzios.

But really dude... keep whatcha got in there. Much more time for banging, eating sandwiches, skateboarding with your boy, being awesome. No money spent. No dealing with douchebags on Craigslist, and you already dig your tone :D

• Members

EMG 81

You know, this is funny dude. Because that's EXACTLY I end up getting every {censored}ing time. A few years ago I went through this same exact {censored} when I was looking for pickups for my Hamer. I tried a {censored}load of passive pickups because I didn't want to go active. Turned out I was never 100% happy. Eventually I caved in and got a 81/85 set and it's been there for 3 1/2 years and it's not going anywhere.

But I already have an EMG guitar so I am looking for something different this time, a little less output etc.... so I've been trying a bunch of passive pickups again (4 in the last 2 months). And again, I am not 100% happy with anything. I want to be persistent this time and see if there is a passive pickup I can like as much as the EMG 81.

But yeah, I know if I go with the 81, problem solved. Been there before. But I want to see if I can find something else I like this time.

• Members

If he wants more presence, then the Air Zone really isn't a good choice IMO. It has a pretty chopped treble response from what I could tell. Sounded great for leads though.

Yeah I can't deal with that. I hate the chopped treble thing. I had a Norton that was like that and that pickup lasted 10 minutes in my guitar.

• Members

But really dude... keep whatcha got in there. Much more time for banging, eating sandwiches, skateboarding with your boy, being awesome. No money spent. No dealing with douchebags on Craigslist, and you already dig your tone
:D

I know this is the best advice. You're absolutely right.

{censored}ing GAS :mad:

• Members

Less output but not weak? Duncan Custom

Tighter bass? Duncan custom

More presence? Duncan custom..

So yeah, Duncan custom or the custom 5.. I'd actually lean a bit more towards the custom 5

The Custom 5 is awesome indeed. I had it in my Hamer and it was the best passive pickup I've so tried so far.

• Members

Might I recommend calling Bryan Gunsher at BG Custom pickups... He is an AWESOME custom hand winder... Bryan can and will make you anything you want PERIOD. The cool thing is, he charges the same or less than Dimarzio and Duncan. Another plus is, he is a SUPER person to boot!

Gary

• Members

You know, this is funny dude. Because that's EXACTLY I end up getting every {censored}ing time. A few years ago I went through this same exact {censored} when I was looking for pickups for my Hamer. I tried a {censored}load of passive pickups because I didn't want to go active. Turned out I was never 100% happy. Eventually I caved in and got a 81/85 set and it's been there for 3 1/2 years and it's not going anywhere.

But I already have an EMG guitar so I am looking for something different this time, a little less output etc.... so I've been trying a bunch of passive pickups again (4 in the last 2 months). And again, I am not 100% happy with anything. I want to be persistent this time and see if there is a passive pickup I can like as much as the EMG 81.

But yeah, I know if I go with the 81, problem solved. Been there before. But I want to see if I can find something else I like this time.

LOL. Yep, it's the same thing with me. It's just when you described what you wanted, it's pretty much the 81 to the T :lol:. FYI, if you want it to have lower output, just lower it from the strings a bit. It's actually has pretty weak magnets. That's why they say to put it as close to the strings as possible.

• Members

Less output but not weak? Duncan Custom

Tighter bass? Duncan custom

More presence? Duncan custom..

So yeah, Duncan custom or the custom 5.. I'd actually lean a bit more towards the custom 5

I hated the Custom 5 with a passion. I'd strongly suggest he get a Custom and if necessary, he can swap it for an A5 mag, but I really hated how it sounded.

Archived