New pickup thread! LOL help me out

guitarbilly74

• Members

The only Dimarzio I have any experience with was the PAF Pro. It *might* do what you're wanting ... or it might be a bit much on the bright side. But I had one in my Hamer Mirage with the koa top, and I eventually had to get a Duncan Custom Custom to tame the treble in that beastie, so ymmv. :idk:

I did try an Alnico II Pro at one point, but it didn't seem like it had nearly the output I was used to from the PAF Pro, or the Hot Rails before that.

I have a Duncan Distortion in my Hamer Studio at present, and I was thinking of swapping it out for something with a little *less* presence ... till I got Dave's Plexi here & tried it out. Damn. No need to swap that out anytime soon. :) But that one might be a consideration for what you're looking for.

Or.... you could keep what you got & continue to dig your sexy, manly toanz... :idk:

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Billy... Duncan Custom or Custom 8. Seriously, Custom 8 is phenomenal. You can order it as a shop-floor custom from SD.

Custom 8 is one of my favourite high output pickups because:

-Tight tracking lows

-THICK, GROWLY low-mids

-Crunchy high mids

-smooth but present highs

-high output so it can be mean and meaty when you want, but Alnico warmth so it cleans up much nicer than a ceramic magnet. It breathes more, sounds more organic than the regular Custom and the EQing is very even. I'd peg its B/M/T at something like 8.5/7/6.5

I feel it's more meaty sounding than the ceramic Custom, and very similar to the Super Distortion, but doesn't exhibit any of the Super D's weaknesses (namely reduced presence, gritty mids, lack of good cleans)

• Members

I hated the Custom 5 with a passion. I'd strongly suggest he get a Custom and if necessary, he can swap it for an A5 mag, but I really hated how it sounded.

Why? And don't say cause it's scooped.. I've heard so many people say that cause of the eq chart on the the S.D site. I honestly think many have never even tried it, because When playing with that pickup it's the last thing I hear.. It's not like an amp that has scooped mids. It's a fairly subtle change in tone between the magnets, but there is a difference.. Plus, if you like the other magnets and suggest the regular custom, I really don't understand how you would hate the a5. To me, there is actually a lot of cutting mids with the a5 magnet. And even though Duncan calls the ceramic custom "a paf on steroids", I actually think the a5 is much closer to that description..

Also someone mentioned the a8 in the custom, which is what I run in my Les Paul.. And it really is the marriage of the ceramic and a5 tone.. Also a great option if he wants to do some swapping..

• Members

Why? And don't say cause it's scooped.. I've heard so many people say that cause of the eq chart on the the S.D site. I honestly think many have never even tried it, because When playing with that pickup it's the last thing I hear.. It's not like an amp that has scooped mids. It's a fairly subtle change in tone between the magnets, but there is a difference.. Plus, if you like the other magnets and suggest the regular custom, I really don't understand how you would hate the a5. To me, there is actually a lot of cutting mids with the a5 magnet. And even though Duncan calls the ceramic custom "a paf on steroids", I actually think the a5 is much closer to that description..

Also someone mentioned the a8 in the custom, which is what I run in my Les Paul.. And it really is the marriage of the ceramic and a5 tone.. Also a great option if he wants to do some swapping..

Sounded like ass with my set up at the time for fast stuff. Preferred the Duncan Distortion. I hated the Custom 5, but I wouldn't mind it with an A8 or Ceramic.

• Members
So I think I am down to three choices now for a bridge pickup for my SG, need to decide on one of them. I need to make some kind of chart so @#!*% is organized and easy to compare.... so here we go:

What I am looking for:

Slightly less output, but not weak.

A bit more presence.

A good amount of bass but a little tighter.

What I currently have:

DiMarzio Super Distortion.

Description(from DM site): Output: 425 / Treble: 5.5 / Mids: 7.5 / Bass: 8.

This is my starting point and I'd say I am happy with that sound for the most part but would like to improve a little on the areas I described above.

Pickups I am considering:

1- DiMarzio Breed:

Description: Output: 356 / Treble: 6.5 / Mids: 9 / Bass: 8.

2 - DiMarzio Evolution:

Description: Output: 404 / Treble: 6.5 / Mids: 7 / Bass: 6.

3- DiMarzio Evo2:

Description: Output: 375 / Treble: 6 / Mids: 7.5 / Bass: 6.

Any other suggestions would be great, it doesn't have to be DiMarzio either, but I know different companies use different volume/tone scales so try to describe them as close to the scale above as possible.

And of course, Option 4 is I should STFU and just keep what I have.
:lol:
If that's your suggestion, I hear you bro, but GAS is a @#!*% .

Had an evolution at one time, but came off as a bit harsh..

• Members

Or a L90.

I agree, though I would recommend the 500L or 500R for the bridge and a 500C for the neck. A 6H L90 would get the job done too.

The L500 sounds more modern to me and is considerably tight, whereas the L90 has a fuller, slightly less tight sound. Regardless of either, you will get extremely clear and articulate sounds with plenty of oomph to drive the preamp.

I highly, highly recommend good 'ol Bill and his awesome pickups!

Cole

• Members

You're describing the Duncan 59, EXACTLY

I don't agree at all. I used to have a Duncan 59 in the bridge of my Carvin CT6. It was REALLY bright and actually quite scooped in the mids. Little to nothing in the ways of bass response as well. Not to mention it is pretty weak in terms of output. I thought it was brilliant in the neck of my old Tokai Love Rock (import Les Paul) but did not like it in the bridge of the CT6 one bit. I fought that pickup until I finally replaced it with the Breed, which is my favorite pickup ever.

• Members

So I think I am down to three choices now for a bridge pickup for my SG, need to decide on one of them. I need to make some kind of chart so {censored} is organized and easy to compare.... so here we go:

What I am looking for:

Slightly less output, but not weak.

A bit more presence.

A good amount of bass but a little tighter.

What I currently have:

DiMarzio Super Distortion.

Description(from DM site): Output: 425 / Treble: 5.5 / Mids: 7.5 / Bass: 8.

This is my starting point and I'd say I am happy with that sound for the most part but would like to improve a little on the areas I described above.

Pickups I am considering:

1- DiMarzio Breed:

Description: Output: 356 / Treble: 6.5 / Mids: 9 / Bass: 8.

2 - DiMarzio Evolution:

Description: Output: 404 / Treble: 6.5 / Mids: 7 / Bass: 6.

3- DiMarzio Evo2:

Description: Output: 375 / Treble: 6 / Mids: 7.5 / Bass: 6.

Any other suggestions would be great, it doesn't have to be DiMarzio either, but I know different companies use different volume/tone scales so try to describe them as close to the scale above as possible.

And of course, Option 4 is I should STFU and just keep what I have.
:lol:
If that's your suggestion, I hear you bro, but GAS is a mother{censored}er.

This sounds rather like a PAF Pro or even a PAF Joe.

If any manufacturer is on the cards, I really like the Duncan Full Shred in an all mahogany axe. One of the best pickups ever!

• Members

Jesus Christ, just buy a goddamned Breed!!! :lol:

Heres how Id look at it, you want more presence....all the pups have more treble than your SD. You want a good but tight bass response....the Breed is the clear winner there, based on the numbers they give you. Plus, its also a fairly tight pickup, not EMG tight, but tight enough that the low end is huge but not flubby at all. Also, the Breed has more mids than the rest, which helps with the presence and helps cut through. The output is lower, yes, but I use that {censored} to play metal. Its plenty powerful and very punchy and upfront sounding. Very big and IMMENSELY clear sounding as well.

So, based on numbers alone, the Breed is the clear winner. Based even more so on my testimony and the videos and clips youve heard from me of it, its even MORE so the clear winner here. Stop fighting it and just take the dive and be happy you did.

Archived