Need interface help/suggestions from recording guys.

Chrisjd

• Members

I use a macbook pro, along with a Focusrite Saffire 6 USB. It's a terrific interface, but it uses the computer's bus power, which restarts my computer every time i unplug it for whatever reason. that being said, i am looking for an interface that has it's own power supply.

The second issue, there is no direct line in. I would like to AVOID having to buy a bass amp, and instead just plug an instrument cable directly into the interface and record using bass sims in my DAW.

What interface would you recommend i purchase considering the two issues i am wanting to resolve?

i am trying not to break the bank here, i spent a good amount on my focusrite, which i am not going to sell.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Chrisjd View Post
thanks, that sounds like a cool solution, but what about a good unit that would have an instrument line in(is this called DI?) so that i can plug a bass directly in?
this should do:

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-BEH-DI100-LIST

Or just plug the bass directly in the interface, it should work fine if you are using sims

• Members

If you absolutely have to buy another interface, I highly recommend the Presonus Firestudio Mobile (if it has enough ins/outs for ya). I've used one for a few years with my Macbook Pro with no problems for home recording. Recorded a few live shows with it direct from the mixer and it worked flawless there as well.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by HKSblade1 View Post
Looks to me like it has direct line in from the spec. The jacks are combo XLR/1/4"

for power get one of these:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=REG&A=details
no he needs a hub with USB in/out because the USB will still have to be connected to the computer for the audio.

Something like this:

http://www.buy.com/prod/belkin-7-por...ngId=230674603

• Members

I don't see why there is a reason you wouldn't be able to input bass on your existing interface. idn_smilie.gif

Surely it can take a quarter inch?

Failing that, just get a jack to XLR cable. That should work too.

I've made guitar leads longer by finding two XLR to jack cables and putting a long XLR between them, effectively lengthening the cable.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Nerine View Post
I don't see why there is a reason you wouldn't be able to input bass on your existing interface. idn_smilie.gif

Surely it can take a quarter inch?

Failing that, just get a jack to XLR cable. That should work too.

I've made guitar leads longer by finding two XLR to jack cables and putting a long XLR between them, effectively lengthening the cable.
the only thing I can think of is maybe he's not getting a hot enough signal with the bass straight into the interface, which is why I recommended the DI box.

Other than that idn_smilie.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by guitarbilly74 View Post
the only thing I can think of is maybe he's not getting a hot enough signal with the bass straight into the interface, which is why I recommended the DI box.

Other than that idn_smilie.gif
Well if the unit has got even half decent mic amps, there shouldn't be an issue at all from what I can tell.
I've recorded no end of bass just mucking about at home going straight into the jack or XLR input of my interface. idn_smilie.gif
I don't want to blame user error just yet, but if the unit is working correctly, as you said, there should be no reason the OP should be struggling to get a bass sound going. confused.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Nerine View Post
Well if the unit has got even half decent mic amps, there shouldn't be an issue at all from what I can tell.
I've recorded no end of bass just mucking about at home going straight into the jack or XLR input of my interface. idn_smilie.gif
I don't want to blame user error just yet, but if the unit is working correctly, as you said, there should be no reason the OP should be struggling to get a bass sound going. confused.gif
yeah I've done that too many times without any issues... I don't know his unit though, maybe his 1/4" input only works with line level signals? idn_smilie.gif

But yeah, probably user error icon_lol.gif

• Members

Dude...don't buy anything. Just go do your audio midi setup in OSX and set the internal sound card as the default audio device for OSX. It's rebooting because it's losing the OSX primary audio device, which is set to the focusrite. You don't have to have that set as your primary to use it in the daw, you can just select the focusrite inside the daw prefs, reboot issue solved.

2nd, plug the bass directly into the mic/inst combo input (it will accept xlr or 1/4), and turn the input gain up.

• Members

Er, manufacturers actively recommend against plugging your I/O into a USB hub of any kind, don't they?

Also, just thinking from a technical perspective, wouldn't that increase the latency by a considerable factor?

FWIW, the Roland Octa Capture is getting rave reviews.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by satannica

View Post

FWIW, the Roland Octa Capture is getting rave reviews.

The Yamaha MR816X is the same price and it has adat i/o, 2x insert i/o, channel selectable phantom and pad, and 2 headphone outs. DSP reverb and zero latency monitoring as well.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by nakedzen View Post
No, I just like what I have. icon_lol.gif

I looked through the features and saw that they weren't as good.
Fair enough! Can't say I have a lot of real-world experience with either, but to my ears the Roland pres seemed a little cleaner than what was on the MRS. Just my own limited experience in store.

I think I'm just going for a MOTU PCI-Express jobby. My confidence in Firewire stuff is practically zero and I'm wary of USB stuff too. The PCI stuff I used to use was far more stable, lower latency and required less fecking around with.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by LoopQuantum View Post
READ MY POST DAMMIT. icon_lol.gif
I actually have some serious arguments with my Pod HD500. Whenever I have it plugged in via USB, whatever the default audio device is set to, the L6 driver comes along and says "No no no, {censored} off, I'M the default". Then, during a recording session, should I ever switch off the HD500 or unplug the USB cable, the whole thing falls deathly silent.

It's rather infuriating.

• Members

I use a Mackie u420 interface/mixer that I got for a great deal. It's firewire, not sure if all macbooks have that. Anyway, one of the channels has a button for instrument-level. It's worked great for guitar. I get very little latency with it.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by LoopQuantum View Post
Dude...don't buy anything. Just go do your audio midi setup in OSX and set the internal sound card as the default audio device for OSX. It's rebooting because it's losing the OSX primary audio device, which is set to the focusrite. You don't have to have that set as your primary to use it in the daw, you can just select the focusrite inside the daw prefs, reboot issue solved.

2nd, plug the bass directly into the mic/inst combo input (it will accept xlr or 1/4), and turn the input gain up.
Quote Originally Posted by newholland View Post
WTF? just plug your bass directly into the interface and use a preamp sim. it's that big center hole in the front of each xlr jack that's about 1/4".. just stick the cable in it.

thank you, both of you. Going to try these tonight, and will report back with results.

Archived