Inexpensive/budget Pickups for Metal ...any hidden gems?

Johansolo

• Members

So managed to pick up a used Ibanez RG321 (mahogany body with string through fixed bridge)
Ive owned a few RGS, made in indo to japan/prestiges and ive had varying degrees of luck with stock pickups...most were replaced with dimarzios, some more noticeably better than stock, some too subtle and disappointing for the cash spent.
Also owned/used a ton of SDs,Dimarzios,EMGS in the past with all the other guitars

Anways...i quite like the stock INF3 and INF4...nice surprise...i don

• Members

The GFS Crunchy Rails is a cheap hidden gem. It sounds like a more natural BKP Painkiller with a little less "full throttle". The GFS Crunchy Pat too, if you're looking for an aggressive pickup that retains classic warmth. I also like the Rose Alchymist, but I don't think they sell them anymore. The G&L pickup that comes in the import Rampage would probably be liked more than the JB(in the USA version) by many people if it had a big name on it. That's what I can think of for now.

• Members

I accidentally stumbled upon a Mighty Mite Motherbucker a few months ago (a friend gave it to me) and installed it in my beater strat and it's a great sounding pickup. They go for like $20 or something and they're definitely worth it. Just make sure you adjust the polepieces if you get one, it makes a huge difference.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Chrisjd View Post
I'd steer away from most dimarzios. you owe it to yourself to check out a duncan distortion, especially for a 7 string in that lower tuning.
To each his own broski, on the right guitar, DiMarzios can sound awesome. thumb.gif

The Tone Zone or X2N can be had for cheap on eBay or your local craigslist if you're lucky.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisjd

View Post

I'd steer away from most dimarzios. you owe it to yourself to check out a duncan distortion, especially for a 7 string in that lower tuning.

I disagree with this A LOT!!! 65 bucks for most dimarzios, and they sound awesome. Replaced my EMGs, and I like them better than the BKP, MCP, BG, and duncans Ive had.

• Members

Cheers for hte suggestions

RE duncans...
Had the distortion, and jb, and all the customs (currently a Custom5 in my mahogany PRS Standard24 with a Jazz) 59s in my LP, invader,
Dimarzios...
Tonezone and paf pro in a mahogany prestige...quite liked this combo ...and i had a set of blaze in a RG7420...which to be totally honest...werent a dramatic noticeable upgrade...the bridge was pretty much the same as the V series, with the neck being a bit more clearer.

Been down the EMG 80/85 route...

Just wanna see if i can get some good bang for buck with a lesser brand name...those dragonfire screamers have got wallets attention but im still deciding...

• Members

General rule of thumb for me (for Dimarzio or SD etc)..

is Dimarzio's excell at US hi gain (6L6 etc).. without being full active (versatility).. where as SD excell at Marshall crunch (EL34 etc) and classic rock.. playing with the volume knob.. nice bright organic cleans.. etc.

Obviously there is some crossover.. both companies have good pickups that do the opposite.

I know it's against the grain.. and against the whole point of your topic but I'm putting Dimarzio Dominion's in the RG321 that I also just picked up.. and I except it to kick monster amounts of ass.

What I try to stay away from is pickups that are in the extremes. For example.. Tone Zone.. WAY too much low end and not enough hi end.. in the right guitar, it'd work great.. but prefer things more balanced personally..

There are so many pickups to choose form these days, I don't see how could be unhappy.. in other words.. if one were forced to use all Suhr pickups, or all Dimarzio.. or all SD.. I'm sure they could manage for any style. It's mostly in the hands and the amp anyway..

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by DARKMETL/ View Post
Entwistle pickups on ebay might be an cheap option.
just checked these out...the interweb consensus alludes they're from the same factory as the dragonfires/gfs...ie artec
im actually tempted to order one of each lol!

• Members

the RG321 is made of Basswood. the Dimarzio Distortion and Super Distortion and the Seymour Duncan JB are bit too harsh for basswood. I am using a SD Screamin Demon - a bit less snarly but works quite well in basswood.

the one i have is the RG321MH...only just clicked the MH stands for mahogany (i thought it was the finish...sorrly my bad for being lazy)

its this one

http://ibanez.wikia.com/wiki/RG321MH

and my one is Royal Blue...

RG321MH_RB.gif

anwyas ive decided on the dragonfire screamers...

now...black...or White/Black Zebra???

Archived