How do I get better at playing leads?

MattACaster

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Three factors;

1. Practice, depending on the person this may take a while. Practice improvising. Practice favorite solos. You don't know it until you can play it while talking to someone else - while keeping the timing tight.

2. Your style, this plays a big role in your impro. You'll always sound like you no matter how you try to hack it. So get used to you and your skill will be all you.

3. Take risks. Learn new techniques. Try a solo you know will take you a while to figure out. Write a new solo that uses these new techniques.

• Members

I agree with the looper pedal. I started taking lessons again and that's the fist thing my teacher recommended. Basically said this:

Create a random chord progression in whatever scale you want to practice. Loop it. Then start running up and down that scale in time. Practice your sequencing: 3

• Members

Aside from all the good advice already given, learn to bend.

Don't do it while watching tv - you have to reallylisten while you do it, and compare the bent note to an unbent note alternately. For example, play D-E on adjacent strings( pinky or ring finger - index finger) then play D-E on the same string ( Pinky or ring, then bend to pitch). I recomend alternating strictly at first.

Prepare yourself to be bored with it - Set a timer for half an hour or whatever and concentrate. Set your metronome to a nice slow speed and bend (or check your pitch)in time to the beat.

Later, when you have it down, Practice bending to pitch half steps, whole steps, minor thirds. Even major thirds, fourths on the fatter strings...if you dare....

Practice bending with all of your fingers....even the index finger.

Work on your vibrato with a metronome, too.

Work on bending up to a note s l o w ly... Go ahead...Blaze away on your shrediest bits, then at the end of the phrase, stretch that final bend -really milk it for all it's worth - until the last possible nano second when you hit the pitch. Make the listener ache for it.....that's where the sex comes in.

Archived