Um, listened to this "Dubstep" noise for the first time...

Mike LX-R

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Also, I think it's a good piont about needing rave drugs to appreciate it LOL...haven't touched E, K, electric kool-aid or DMT in over 10 yeras, but yeah I'd probably need that to appreciate it fully, even though I was never into the rave scene, despite my connect wanting me to go with him to all kinds of them here in CT back in the late 90's early 2000's to help him sell stuff....

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by K-Bizzle

View Post

Honestly to me dubstep is pretty much the metal of EDM.

Exactly. There's just something much more aggressive about it than normal dance music that I really connect with. I'm actually kind of interested to see where it goes. Korn did a kind-of hybrid album w/ a bunch of dubstep artists that seems like a first step in an interesting direction (for me, at least).

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by skaaks

View Post

Exactly. There's just something much more aggressive about it than normal dance music that I really connect with. I'm actually kind of interested to see where it goes. Korn did a kind-of hybrid album w/ a bunch of dubstep artists that seems like a first step in an interesting direction (for me, at least).

Brian's new group sounds much better. This sounds like a band with very little left to offer on life support.

• Members

It's funny how, like with metal and it's respective tropes, people just take "Techno" and add a single effect to it and BAM! - new genre.

Techno + reverse flange BAM! Dubsteb.

Techno + erratic synth BAM! Trance.

Techno + African percussion BAM! House (okay, that's stretching)

wink.gif

^That's a wink, guys. Remember, after you say what you're going to say keep in mind - I did put a wink.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by guidedbyechoes

View Post

I'm surprised by the number of people who know who P.O.S is.

In Minneapolis, pretty much every Doomtree show sells out First Ave - they're doing 3 nights of Blowout this year. Sadly, the fans have gotten so {censored}ty that I'm not going this year after having gone the past 4 years. Including the Snowout in 2010.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Weathered

View Post

In Minneapolis, pretty much every Doomtree show sells out First Ave - they're doing 3 nights of Blowout this year. Sadly, the fans have gotten so {censored}ty that I'm not going this year after having gone the past 4 years. Including the Snowout in 2010.

Shame POS's new album isn't any good. Neither was Brother Ali's. MN letting me down this year.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by BrendanO

View Post

Shame POS's new album isn't any good. Neither was Brother Ali's. MN letting me down this year.

I hadn't realized either of them had new albums.

Keeping up with new music can be a damn task.

EDIT

FWIW I thought the new Aesop Rock was good.

He's not MN but that was a good Rhymesayers record for the year. idn_smilie.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by K-Bizzle

View Post

I hadn't realized either of them had new albums.

Keeping up with new music can be a damn task.

Seriously. Up until about two years ago, I was on {censored}in' point. Now I'm so far behind, I think I just heard of this Australian band, AC/DC. Might have to watch out for them.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by BrendanO

View Post

Seriously. Up until about two years ago, I was on {censored}in' point. Now I'm so far behind, I think I just heard of this Australian band, AC/DC. Might have to watch out for them.

icon_lol.gif

I've been pretty good the past couple years for the most part.

I'm just into too much {censored} to keep track of it all sometimes. Outside of my core scene it can be really hard to keep track of artists I'm into.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by GodBlessTexas

View Post

I think that's almost verbatim what my mom used to say about thrash when I was a teenager in the late 80's/early 90's.

cop.gif

Yeah Im pretty sure Dubstep is what metal would be if we hadnt invented the electric guitar. At least some of it.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyBird

View Post

Yeah Im pretty sure Dubstep is what metal would be if we hadnt invented the electric guitar. At least some of it.

I can say for me (and clearly I'm not alone by the agreement I got on the comment I made about it) that it definitely flips the same emotional switch in me as metal does.

I can't rage quite as hard to it since its not as heavy or emotionally effective as metal is in most cases but it definitely hits the same spot in you, just a little differently IMO.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by skaaks

View Post

I just recently got that album and liked it a lot too. The production and sonics were/are just awesome. Amazing sound.

Archived