Who's had/played a Duncan Invader?

Chrisjd

• Members

I have duncan distortions in my guitars, and I generally LOVE that pickup, but i find it a touch too searing in the high end with my alder body/ebony board ESP M1. I took the distortion out and am looking for something different that will have that really aggressive midrange and strong bottom end, but that will not be so sizzly up top.

Per seymour duncan's tone chart, the invader has the same mid rating and same dc resistance as the distortion, but with significantly more lowend and less treble.

Why is this pickup never mentioned? What are your experiences?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

A lot of people don't like them. I have on in my Goth SG that I really dig. But that SG is tuned to C#/Drop B and is mostly used to play Down/CoC type stuff which I think it excels at. If you are into super-tight metal then it isn't for you. But it is dark and mid-rangey with a ton of output.

• Members

I wouldnt use it for anything lower than drop d, it just gets too muddy after that. I found it takes away alot of the gain as well, I mean sure it's a lot smoother as a result but I found it really took the umph out of it as well. It's great for fast thrashy chugs in drop d tho, comes through nice and clear so its great for that static stuff.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by thefyn

View Post

They are awesome if you want to metalize a skinny guitar or a strat etc. I love how thick they are for thrash ryth.

Pretty much this. Sounded great in my alder Delonge strat years back. Of course that was ONLY ever high gain. Shit for clean, huge magnet pull on the strings, etc

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by wwhhaatt

View Post

It was the worst pickup I ever tried. I put it in my Carvin then ESP SC6 and it was just an awful muddy mess in both

this. Tried it in a couple guitars. Loose, muddy, crap.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by wwhhaatt

View Post

I absolutely love the Anderson H3+ in my SC6. It's alder/maple/alder with an ebony board so probably pretty close to your M1

I've heard good things about that pickup. I will try to find a tone chart for it.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisjd

View Post

I am afraid to try an alnico magnet. I think ceramic is where it's at for me.

I don't like the high end/fizzyness in ceramics but I love the output. So far the Alt 8 is the best pickup I've played that has what I consider to be the best attributes or ceramics and alnicos. It's really a great pickup.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by MattACaster View Post
I don't like the high end/fizzyness in ceramics but I love the output. So far the Alt 8 is the best pickup I've played that has what I consider to be the best attributes or ceramics and alnicos. It's really a great pickup.
Hmmm.. You have me curious...

Quote Originally Posted by 100 watt View Post
I'll stick with the trusty (generic / cliche) EMG 81 set up. I go back to it every time. moar gain, volume up. Less gain..volume down.

Dude, the 81 is a great pickup.

• Members

I am afraid to try an alnico magnet. I think ceramic is where it's at for me.

Dude I bet you'd probably love the BG Hellabucker - it sounds almost exactly like what you are looking for. It reminds me of a blend between the EMG 85 and the Duncan Distortion, and FWIW I had both of those pickups (AND the 81) in the same guitar and while I liked them all the Hellabucker blew them away. Still my favorite high output pickup to date. Only drawback is BG is a one man shop and his wait times are pretty long (about a month last I checked) but they are very cheap for being handmade.

I used to be the same way (thought that ceramic mag pickups were the ONLY choice for brutal shit) but now I've seen the light ;)

I have not used the Invader, but i've always thought it seems like something I might dig.

Archived