Practice amp

NinjaRaf

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I used to use a Peavey Envoy for years when I only had my 5150 combo and that stayed at the rehearsal spot.. That or the bandit does get the vibe of the bigger Peavey amps.. And since I only use basically Peavey, the envoy fit right in.

• Members

Lets assume I wanna spend 50 bucks or less.

Lol.. I didn't see this.. Either quit being so cheap or scour the used market endlessly for that killer deal or just use the 5150 combo like you have been.. There isn't anything 50 and under that has a sound that will even come close to competing with what you have..

• Members

Lets assume I wanna spend 50 bucks or less.

Hmm... maybe you can get lucky and find a crackhead who just stole an amp to get their next hit.. You could end up scoring another 5150. Bring it home and realize your 5150 is missing. :cop:

But yeah, I got my son a line6 15 watter and it sounds great :idk:

• Members

You could luck out and find an older transtube Peavey for $50, especially if you avoid the Bandit. It tends to be the best known so even the Pawn shops price them up accordingly. There's a local place that had a redline Bandit and a redline Studio Pro sitting side by side and the Bandit was price at $150 while the Studio Pro was priced at $65 and they both looked immaculate. I got my Studio Pro for $89 and it's a beast when it needs to be but can be used awfully quietly too.

Before you threw out the fifty buck thing, here's what went through my head.
1. Fender Mustang - better than you'd think, even at high gain. I owned one.
2. Studio Pro - see above.
3. Blackstar HT1 or HT5. I prefer the tone of the HT1 through the little 4x8, which a HUGE sounding cabinet that doesn't look much bigger than a standard 1x12. Not big on volume, but big on tone. Haven't owned, have played through quite a bit though.
4. Trawl Pawn Shops, play everything in your price range. Sometimes you can find shockingly good deal when you're not looking for a specific brand or specific type of amp.
5. AMT P1->AMT Tubecake (I use the one watt and it's LOUD for one watt solid state, they make a three watt too)->whatever cab you got. It's one of my practice rigs and does the best low-watt 5150 tone I've ever been witness to.

• Members

You could luck out and find an older transtube Peavey for $50, especially if you avoid the Bandit. It tends to be the best known so even the Pawn shops price them up accordingly. There's a local place that had a redline Bandit and a redline Studio Pro sitting side by side and the Bandit was price at $150 while the Studio Pro was priced at $65 and they both looked immaculate. I got my Studio Pro for $89 and it's a beast when it needs to be but can be used awfully quietly too.

Before you threw out the fifty buck thing, here's what went through my head.

1. Fender Mustang - better than you'd think, even at high gain. I owned one.

2. Studio Pro - see above.

3. Blackstar HT1 or HT5. I prefer the tone of the HT1 through the little 4x8, which a HUGE sounding cabinet that doesn't look much bigger than a standard 1x12. Not big on volume, but big on tone. Haven't owned, have played through quite a bit though.

4. Trawl Pawn Shops, play everything in your price range. Sometimes you can find shockingly good deal when you're not looking for a specific brand or specific type of amp.

5. AMT P1->AMT Tubecake (I use the one watt and it's LOUD for one watt solid state, they make a three watt too)->whatever cab you got. It's one of my practice rigs and does the best low-watt 5150 tone I've ever been witness to.

Honestly, I really like the AMT p1 idea, but I dont have a cab, so it starts getting into portable rig price range.

• Members

I will ship you my Envoy 110 for $50. If you were in CA I'd just tell you to stop by and pick it up for free, but shipping it to FL will cost me a bit.

Lemme figure out what it sounds like, and Ill let you know. Leahs says I need to wait until after christmas to get a practice amp anyway, and I think she might be right haha.

• Members
Honestly, I really like the AMT p1 idea, but I dont have a cab, so it starts getting into portable rig price range.

The really sad thing with the AMT solution is you need a GOOD power supply to run the tubecake. Any weirdness at all in the power and it goes bat{censored}. So unless you have a good power supply already, there's another added expense. I spent a lot of dough on that setup and then stalled on getting a smaller cab to lug with them. Sounds big as balls through a 4x12 though. :lol:

Archived