in a 1 guitar band, do you boost your solo volume?

hcprimerib

• Members

Depends on the context. When I'm in a three piece I find when I go to solo, I want the drummer taking off with me so it doesn't get that lulled out feeling from the missing rhythm guitar.

True, but they can up the energy and fill out more space without getting a lot louder.

Too many drummers seem to think that drums only have one volume level--loud as all get out.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

True, but they can up the energy and fill out more space without getting a lot louder.

Too many drummers seem to think that drums only have one volume level--loud as all get out.

Ok I see where you're coming from and completely agree. My last drummer was like that. He was so stiff and on top of the beat and incapable of bringing it down. Flip side of the coin is a drummer who can't or won't hit hard when it calls for it. Which is equally as irritating. Dynamics. Can I haz some? :lol:

• Members

Yes because IMO you should be as loud as the vocals were, the rest of the band should cover more sonic space to fill in the rest as well. My bassist uses either a fuzz, an octave or a VT bass to thicken his tone some, hell he even has used my Beta Lead set to a midrangier overdriven tone and an A/B switch before.

• Members

When me and Dolf were doing shows we just did our best to manage our own volumes and I don't think either one of us really did much boosting most of the time, at least not volume wise. Maybe some extra gain. I don't really think boosts are necessary most of the time if the rest of the band knows what the {censored} they're doing.

• Members

My favorite is my last band. The other guitar player was kinda new to gigging so when I went to solo he also would try to solo. Unless I kicked my volume to ret-ard strength and played balls out which was apparently the only signal he understood. He thought we were a jam band and every break in singing meant he was to widdly it up.

In three piece bands I'd usually play loud enough that I didn't need to boost volume for solo.

• Members

wtf?? I'd bitchslap that mother{censored}er so good.

We both got paid but yeah it was irritating. The dude just had to fill every Gotdamn second of the song. No dynamics at all and sometimes he would get frustrated and cut the singers off. He didn't understand we were not the centers of attention. It got to the point he was racing to see who would solo first. It made for a {censored}ty situation and was one of many reasons that band sucked.

Archived