Battle of the rigs discussion/suggestions thread

guitarbilly74

• Members

so how about a thread we can discuss this year's BOTR and suggestions for the next one etc....

Some random thoughts and suggestions:

- surprised that only 3 guys entered the metal category, this being HCAF eek.gif

- also surprised no 5150 rigs were entered at all, I thought that was the most common amp at HCAF confused.gif

- I would like to see a separate "high gain boutique" category next year. I think a battle between the VHTs, Bogners, Diezels and Splawn rigs in a single category would be much more interesting to see. That also would leave the head/cab category more balanced between regular production amps.

That's all I have for now icon_lol.gif

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm not sure about the high gain boutique thing. I get what you're saying, but I think it'd get weird and arbitrary. I don't know why a VHT Deliverance wouldn't be in the same category of the competition as a Laney GH100. Or a VHT Sig:X against a Laney VH100.

• Members

I love the public voting icon_lol.gif

I think certain categories need to be condensed since a few have too little competition.

Billy: I considered submitting my Splawn in the boutique category but didn't because a: it costs less than a similar Marshall new and b: my guitars are both production line and under 1k new and my pedalboard is almost entirely MXR and digitech. Since it was a whole rig contest I didn't think enough % of my rig was boutique to qualify.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Phrophus View Post
I'm not sure about the high gain boutique thing. I get what you're saying, but I think it'd get weird and arbitrary. I don't know why a VHT Deliverance wouldn't be in the same category of the competition as a Laney GH100. Or a VHT Sig:X against a Laney VH100.
You're just picking on Laney!!!!

Not fair!!!!

• Members

less lazy {censored}ers and more people who can take a freaking picture and email it

we really didnt have that many people enter. the more sub categories we create even fewer people will be in each one. we had to bend the rules and except late entries as is or i would have been the only one in the rack category.

i dunno, maybe still riding the high of victory but i think Duncan nailed it. love the format, love that he got free prizes and did it random draw. the voting was great and sure made this day at work fly by.

i had fun and will be defending my title with vengence next year.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgandy View Post
I'm busting the rickenbacker head out for hipster clash love.gif

I think dolf and I should have competed somehow. Our rigs have always been similar and we like to argue minute details about bast evar even though fundamentally they're so close.
You do that and I'll concede. Unless I find enough time to sell everything and buy busted ass Silvertones and Valcos biggrin.gif

We only hurt the ones we love, Dave.

• Members

We need to hit up more peeps for prizes.

This forum has over 6 million posts. If we did some legwork I think there's a LOT of companies that would be willing to donate swag. And good stuff too. TDPRI gets custom shop guitars from Fender!!! I'm not aiming that high but I'd bet Fender would chip in a dozen strings or a gross of picks or t-shirts without even blinking.

We have some SERIOUS numbers in our membership. That's a LOT of advertising/good will.

The only snag is that we might be running up against board rules. We need to talk to Phil or Anderton or one of the big honchos to make sure we aren't messing up by trying something like that.

And I'd like to see it remain random draw. Old guys like me that have been chasing amps and guitars for decades have an unfair advantage over you young bucks who are just out of school and raising families.

• Members

Yeah, I didnt enter...woulda covered the 5150 aspect lol. I think more time for entering would be good...like, lets say take entries for the last 2 weeks of nov and the first 2 weeks of dec, then give a week for voting and post results closer to the end of the year....I mean, Id like to have entered, but with only 1 weekends notice, and having a 3 month old and a wife that doesnt work...all my at home time these days is family time. I get guitar time maybe once every couple of weeks....so yeah.

I also think that it shouldnt only be picture based. Some {censored}ers on here get SICK ass tone with a marshall MG. It should be more encompassing. Yeah, having a badass rig is awesome, but I think itd be better to see/hear proof that one knows how to get ultimate tones out of that rig.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Cougar Hunter View Post
THIS!

My relationship with my Brother RSB will never be the same. It's like some straight up Undertaker/Kane {censored} now. frown.gif
i even just listened to the entire AIC catalog earlier this week and was musing on how great Jerry is and is probably my favorite player evar, too... cry.gifcry.gif

• Members

I had a hard time picking between you and Duncan. I was gonna vote Canadian but you're both Canucks. It was your guitars that swung my vote.

He is dead to me.

Kicking me while I'm down and have lost to a Mesa. All the while winning his category despite me showing some love for Billy's single channel Laney rig :(:cry:

DEAD TO ME, '63 Strat!!! D-E-D dead

• Members

I couldn't believe you voted for me. I thought you hated me.
:lol:

Not at all. I don't take hcaf that seriously and shoot my mouth off on here all the time, lol.

I voted based on what I'd rather use myself though, personality didn't enter it for me.

• Members

I had a hard time picking between you and Duncan. I was gonna vote Canadian but you're both Canucks. It was your guitars that swung my vote.

:lol:

See the Duncan thing is funny to me because:

xtc 101b vs. xtc Classic: kinda subjective but mostly a draw

Cabs: same cab, but he has a 1960 in there too so I suppose 2 cabs is better than one, but they don't match so my ocd wouldn't give him an advantage there.

Guitars: I win this one unless you are a tele only guy IMO

FX: I win this one too

So I figure against duncan, I win unless I've pissed you off or something :lol:

Now Shane, I could definitely see some players preferring his rig vs mine, it's more of an apples vs oranges thing.

Archived