OT: Your own mortality and when it's acceptable to be comfortable with it

PlayboyChris

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Ok so I'm the guy...It's my job. Someone has to bring up the question of where do you go when you die. I was hoping someone would have already established the fact that it is very an instrumental part of accepting mortality/immortality. Seems it would be easier to accept if you knew you would live on in paradise.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by "sasquatch"

View Post

. Would prefer to be vaporized by a giant meteor.

Lol.. Read this thread and I have other thoughts on the matter, but I don't care enough to type them out at the moment.. But when I thought of how I wanted to die, I pictured that meteor flying in and I just sat on my front lawn waiting to be vaporized enjoying the show as it raced in. I do think that would be the most comforting to me

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by goslats

View Post

Ok so I'm the guy...It's my job. Someone has to bring up the question of where do you go when you die. I was hoping someone would have already established the fact that it is very an instrumental part of accepting mortality/immortality. Seems it would be easier to accept if you knew you would live on in paradise.

When you die you're dead as far as I'm concerned. I think that faith, spirituality and belief in something is VERY important but my beliefs are with other things. I wanted to have music put as the religion on my children's birth certificate. I'm not afraid to die. I'm ready. Bear in mind there's a huge difference between being ready to die and wanting to.

• Members

I'm 26. If I found out I had a few months or whatever left I'd probably be disappointed. I don't feel like I have done much in my life because pretty much everything I have done/focused on has been a longer term goal. That said, I know I have been a good person who has been honest with myself and others, and have been doing what I felt was right for myself longer term, but I guess I can't feel anything but disappointed that I didnt have the extra time to accomplish what I was striving for.

• Members

I was hit by a car when I was 16, and was lucky to walk away from it, although it did leave me with damage that negaitvely effcts my life today. I ODed a couple times as a teen ager as well. Then in 2007 I came within hours of death from pneumonia, spent 9 days in the hospital, 5 of those in ICU. It took a year for my lungs to recover enough that I could walk a block without falling down wheezzing, gasping for air. I was 37yo, here I am now at 42, and I'm not ready to go yet. Yes, I will die, it is part of being mortal, but if vampires and werewolves do exist, I want to be bitten, so I can go on forever. Cause then I bet the "sickness" would heal my {censored}ed up back and I could be strong again. No joke, if anyone of y'all is a vampire, or werewolf, come bite me please. I'd prefer werewolf, but would settle for vampirecop.gif

Then again, werewolves eat there own poo so maybe vampire first choice....then werewolf...

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Slunderfungus

View Post

I was hit by a car when I was 16, and was lucky to walk away from it, although it did leave me with damage that negaitvely effcts my life today. I ODed a couple times as a teen ager as well. Then in 2007 I came within hours of death from pneumonia, spent 9 days in the hospital, 5 of those in ICU. It took a year for my lungs to recover enough that I could walk a block without falling down wheezzing, gasping for air. I was 37yo, here I am now at 42, and I'm not ready to go yet. Yes, I will die, it is part of being mortal, but if vampires and werewolves do exist, I want to be bitten, so I can go on forever. Cause then I bet the "sickness" would heal my {censored}ed up back and I could be strong again. No joke, if anyone of y'all is a vampire, or werewolf, come bite me please. I'd prefer werewolf, but would settle for vampirecop.gif

Then again, werewolves eat there own poo so maybe vampire first choice....then werewolf...

Plus, there's probably more hot babes that would let a vampire {censored} them than those who would {censored} a werewolf.

I think I could get used to drinking blood. smile.gif

• Members

I just figured that with vampires being undead and all, that {censored}ing women might be like sticking them with an icycleidn_smilie.gif A werewolf is still alive...but yeah, I could get used to drinking blood if it meant I could live forever and bang hot babescop.gif Maybe with enough fricton the ice rod will warm up icon_lol.gif

• Members

*At Monk's, George and his charge enjoy a bowl of soup over some conversation.*

Ben: No, I feel great for 85.

George: Y'know the average life span for an American male is like, 72. You're really... kinda pushin' the envelope there.

Ben: I'm not afraid of dyin'. I never think about it.

George: You don't? Boy, I think about it a lot. I think about it at my age. Imagine how much I'll be thinkin' about it at your age. All I'll do is keep thinkin' about it until it drives me insane...

Ben: I'm grateful for every moment I have.

George: Grateful? How can you be grateful when you're *so* close to the end? When you know that any second-- Poof! Bamm-O! It can all be over. I mean you're not stupid, you can read the handwriting on the wall. It's a matter of simple arithmetic, for God's sake...

Ben: I guess I just don't care.

George: What are you talking about? How can you sit there and look me in the eye and tell that me you're not worried?! Don't you have any *sense*?!! Don't you have a brain!? Are you so completely senile that you don't know what you're talking about anymore!!?.......Wait a second, where are you going?

Ben: Life's too short to waste on you.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse G

View Post

Been scared of dying since I was 5.

Not so much being dead, mostly just actually dying. I just really don't want to die icon_lol.gif

This is kinda me. I can remember thinking about it and the concept of being "gone" when I was very young, and weirdly after having my most recent (31st) bday, still not being married, no kiddos, etc., I've been thinking about it more and mostly when I try and fall asleep at night, but it doesn't all consume me. Just in my 20's I felt I'd live forever (like most folks) and had all the time in the world to accomplish everything I wanted to, but I dunno. The finite nature of life has been wearing on me a little so I'm really going to try and get my ass in gear for 2013. I share the same faith views as some others on here, but still I haven't actually "lived" yet to where I'm ready to go or am in any hurry to do so.

• Members

If thats how you feel about your life, I think thats a perfectly healthy view of death. People think too much about it. In the grand scheme of the universe, if your life that in important? Is anyones? Does the life of the planet even mean anything? If you can honestly say that you can die a happy man...meaning that youve accomplished everything that you really wanted to, then Id say you have led a very successful life. I still have a lot that I want to do, accomplish, experience in my life, so I cant say that. However, Im 18 years younger than you are. Im sure in 18 years, I will have accomplished a great many things that I would like to accomplish. Im also sure that every single person on this planet will die at some point, so I see no reason to really think about or fear the idea of death all that much. Its not in your circle of control, so why worry too much. Do what you can to live safely enough so that death doesnt take you too early, but also, dont fear it and accept it when it comes because it WILL come for every single one of us, and theres nothing any one can do about it.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by RSBro

View Post

This is kinda me. I can remember thinking about it and the concept of being "gone" when I was very young, and weirdly after having my most recent (31st) bday, still not being married, no kiddos, etc., I've been thinking about it more and mostly when I try and fall asleep at night, but it doesn't all consume me. Just in my 20's I felt I'd live forever (like most folks) and had all the time in the world to accomplish everything I wanted to, but I dunno. The finite nature of life has been wearing on me a little so I'm really going to try and get my ass in gear for 2013. I share the same faith views as some others on here, but still I haven't actually "lived" yet to where I'm ready to go or am in any hurry to do so.

Get used to those recurring thoughts. You seem well adjusted, so they won't consume you. When I hit my thirties, I had those same revelations. A few weeks away from forty, they haven't lessened. I've just become more accepting of it and strangely, more appreciative of my mortality. I take comfort in the thougjt of the eternal dirt nap. But conversely, I'm hungrier than ever to live life.

I feel like I am seeing things for the first time, again. If that makes any sense.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by paul88lx

View Post

Get used to those recurring thoughts. You seem well adjusted, so they won't consume you. When I hit my thirties, I had those same revelations. A few weeks away from forty, they haven't lessened. I've just become more accepting of it and strangely, more appreciative of my mortality. I take comfort in the thougjt of the eternal dirt nap. But conversely, I'm hungrier than ever to live life.

I feel like I am seeing things for the first time, again. If that makes any sense.

That makes sense and I've been lucky to have a great family and grandparents who are all save 1, already gone and they were at peace with going. My parents will both hit 58 this year and like you said, seem to have more of a zest for life than ever (I'm sure being retired already doesn't hurt, but still lol) so that's what I'm striving for. I'm trying to be better about seeing mistakes of friends and relatives and not duplicating them in my own life, and enjoying the days, weeks, months and hopefully years I still have left. Like you said, there's no way to slow it down or stop it, so enjoy what you have left is all you can do. smile.gif

• Members

View Post

That makes sense and I've been lucky to have a great family and grandparents who are all save 1, already gone and they were at peace with going. My parents will both hit 58 this year and like you said, seem to have more of a zest for life than ever (I'm sure being retired already doesn't hurt, but still lol) so that's what I'm striving for. I'm trying to be better about seeing mistakes of friends and relatives and not duplicating them in my own life, and enjoying the days, weeks, months and hopefully years I still have left. Like you said, there's no way to slow it down or stop it, so enjoy what you have left is all you can do. smile.gif

Coming from a solid family is a huge advantage. It teaches you about being properly grounded(literally, lol). I'm at a point where I am seriously thinking of leaving my incredibly stable and super benefitted job just because I'm completely unsatisfied and understimulated. When I tell people that, they tell me I'm crazy. To which I reply that they are using loser logic and going for second place.

No one ever asks me the question I keep asking myself.......Am I happy doing this?

Nope.

It's my life, it's my existential dilemma. You know?

• Members

View Post

Coming from a solid family is a huge advantage. It teaches you about being properly grounded(literally, lol). I'm at a point where I am seriously thinking of leaving my incredibly stable and super benefitted job just because I'm completely unsatisfied and understimulated. When I tell people that, they tell me I'm crazy. To which I reply that they are using loser logic and going for second place.

No one ever asks me the question I keep asking myself.......Am I happy doing this?

Nope.

It's my life, it's my existential dilemma. You know?

Totally agree. That's why (while I'm still single) I spend a little irresponsibly and get what I want and like, and am already looking for a jerb closer to home that will make me happy (as happy as you can be working, anyway lol). Why wake up every day miserable knowing every waking second you're living w/ a regret or second thoughts about life choices? Meh.

• Members

Death lends the ultimate sobering touch to an otherwise nonsensical world. Without it we won't ever value our life, our one shot to be part of even the tiniest fragment of existence. I want to make peace with my own fears of death so that when the moment comes I can be like one of those men and women we've read or heard about, who step forward to meet their death with serenity when their time comes. I can't think of anything more worthy of our humanness than to willingly release this world and let that infinite expanse swallow you whole.

• Members

View Post

Totally agree. That's why (while I'm still single) I spend a little irresponsibly and get what I want and like, and am already looking for a jerb closer to home that will make me happy (as happy as you can be working, anyway lol). Why wake up every day miserable knowing every waking second you're living w/ a regret or second thoughts about life choices? Meh.

I hear ya. I just bought what will be my last electric guitar for a long time. Short of a 12string acoustic or electfic, there is nothing on my radar now. I'm going to focus less on consumption and more on things that bring joy and fufillment. Don't get me wrong, I love buying {censored}. But it's become a placebo for real issues I have to deal with. The most important being health and fitness. Along with a carrer I enjoy.

Ok, I lied. I do want to buy a new road bike this year.

• Members

View Post

I heat ya. I just bought what will be my last electric guitar for a long time. Short of a 12string acoustic or electfic, there is nothing on my radar now. I'm going to focus less on consumption and more on things that bring joy and fufillment. Don't get me wrong, I love buying {censored}. But it's become a placebo for real issues I have to deal with. The most important being health and fitness. Along with a carrer I enjoy. Ok, I lied. I do want to buy a new road bike this year.

Dude. Don't be heatin'. redface.gif

Archived