OT: Your own mortality and when it's acceptable to be comfortable with it

PlayboyChris

• Members

One should learn to use their death as an adviser. Without remorse, or sadness, or worrying, a person should focus their attention on their link with death with complete humbleness. A being on his way to dying has nothing to lose because he's already accepted his fate. Only under these circumstances can a person's actions have their rightful power, where every moment with breath in your lungs becomes your last battle on earth. When one makes death their adviser they lose all sense of second chances, and only paths of the heart are worth traversing. An immortal being who ignores his death will forever carry out his acts as a fool, and will have been lied to by his own ignorance.

Both men will die alone, but the man who makes death his adviser will lift off like a solitary bird. The other will scratch and claw in fear as he's ripped away into the infinite nothing.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

One should learn to use their death as an adviser. Without remorse, or sadness, or worrying, a person should focus their attention on their link with death with complete humbleness. A being on his way to dying has nothing to lose because he's already accepted his fate. Only under these circumstances can a person's actions have their rightful power, where every moment with breath in your lungs becomes your last battle on earth. When one makes death their adviser they lose all sense of second chances, and only paths of the heart are worth traversing. An immortal being who ignores his death will forever carry out his acts as a fool, and will have been lied to by his own ignorance.

Both men will die alone, but the man who makes death his adviser will lift off like a solitary bird. The other will scratch and claw in fear as he's ripped away into the infinite nothing.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Mike LX-R

View Post

This reads like a LSD flashbackicon_lol.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Mike LX-R

View Post

This reads like a LSD flashbackicon_lol.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by zehn

View Post

Speaking from personal experience, once you have a near-death experience, your opinion will likely change. Some people are comforted by it, but {censored} man. It's scary to (almost) die.

Been there TOO many times and I disagree.

At age 2 I was almost taken by an intestinal disease. Age 5, opened the door and fell out of a car. Age 12 the ocean almost took me when a storm came in and the undertow was too much to get back to shore... a day after that I dodged a NY taxi by inches as my dad pulled me out out of the way. OD'd a couple times in my teen years. (long story) pretty much a drop away from bleeding out at age 29. Got totally ran over by a Jeep Cherokee at age 31, all 4 tires of a 3800 lb. vehicle right over the top of me.

This is why I accept that my days are numbered and I'm not scared. I just need to get my babies raised before I go.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by zehn

View Post

Speaking from personal experience, once you have a near-death experience, your opinion will likely change. Some people are comforted by it, but {censored} man. It's scary to (almost) die.

At age 2 I was almost taken by an intestinal disease. Age 5, opened the door and fell out of a car. Age 12 the ocean almost took me when a storm came in and the undertow was too much to get back to shore... a day after that I dodged a NY taxi by inches as my dad pulled me out out of the way. OD'd a couple times in my teen years. (long story) pretty much a drop away from bleeding out at age 29. Got totally ran over by a Jeep Cherokee at age 31, all 4 tires of a 3800 lb. vehicle right over the top of me.

This is why I accept that my days are numbered and I'm not scared. I just need to get my babies raised before I go.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by FrostByte

View Post

That's why I said different people have different reactions. I suffered a massive stroke when I was 20. The experience itself was very scary, though today my view on it is much like yours.

I've come to terms with the fact that life is fleeting and can end any time, any place. It's definitely made me much more thankful for the days I have left on earth with my family and friends.

• Members

View Post

That's why I said different people have different reactions. I suffered a massive stroke when I was 20. The experience itself was very scary, though today my view on it is much like yours.

I've come to terms with the fact that life is fleeting and can end any time, any place. It's definitely made me much more thankful for the days I have left on earth with my family and friends.

• Members

View Post

Dude, you should play the lottery cause good luck has got to be all you have left. You done used up all the bad luck.

I can't go yet, I've got people that need me.

• Members

I find the fact that life is only temporary strangely ambivalent; On the one hand, the fact that life is finite is a scary and sometimes sad thought, the fact that one day there will be nothing but eternal oblivion. However, the fact that time is short is what drives us, what makes us truly alive.

For that reason I don't find the promise of 'eternal life' made by Abrahamic religions not in the least attractive

• Members

I'm not cool with it at all lol....

I'm sure there is alot of things I won't miss....but I've done alot and I want to keep doing more

I guess I am more pissed that I still want to be 26 but I'm 35 icon_lol.gif

I'm pretty lucky anyway....I'm in great health , have seen most of the bands I've wanted to see/met most of my idols, travelled to 53 countries , banged alot of hot women from all over the world (never enough tho...) , good finances,great career, own all the gear I want (can't take that with me tho)

big thing is deciding whether to go down the wife/kids route in the future ...right now I'm kinda putting focus on getting as much depravity out of my system for the next two years before I slow down ....

but yeah ...it saddens me there are somethings I will never get a chance to do just with time etc etc...but when I look around I realise how fortunate I really am

• Members

I don't think I'll ever be "ready"...I plan to live forever.

But I'm ok with the knowledge it will happen sooner or later. I've got a kid and I'd love to see him grow up but that's not guaranteed.

You just have to live as well as you can (and take steps to provide when you're gone) while you're here. I'm trying.

I truly feel that when we get to the other side, we'll understand that it REALLY wasn't anything to fear.

• Members

I do not fear death, but I do fear suffering. When it's my turn, I just hope it's quick. The preferred scenario is "instantly crushed by falling ACME-brand 10 ton anvil."

40 years old, epileptic for the past 12. I know what it's like to wake up in the ER with no memory of how I got there. Last time that happened, the first thing I did when my mind came back was to check if my arms & legs were still attached.

• Members

I'll be 28 this week...which means I'm not ready. But that's ok, I want to have a family with my gf and enjoy that life.

I had an allergic reaction a year ago and ended up in the ER. I started getting real cold and almost blacked out before they shot me with the epinephrine. I'm not sure it was a near death moment, but I had that moment where I wondered if I'd ever wake up if I went under. I've done some stupid stuff and broken multiple bones...but that was the scariest moment of my life.

I walked out of the ER with a new respect for life that night. Found out I was allergic to peanuts which has really changed my outlook on everything. I'm comfortable with it now, but it was a rough few months adjusting.

So yea, I'm ok with it eventually happening. But I have a lot left to live for and am young. All the men on my fathers side tend to die in there 50's...so I'm really hoping to break that streak

• Members

i'm 42, and don't feel like i'm done yet by any stretch. that said-- if i were to hear i were ill, i'd buck that {censored} to the end to keep on going, 'cause i got {censored} to do, and the likes of some illness isn't taking me out if I can help it. if i lose to it in the end- c'est la vie, or mort, as the case may be- but i'd battle it tooth and nail if i have energy left to do so.

Archived