What delay are you using?

Cougar Hunter

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Being a delay geek,I admit that I have several.Definately more than I'll ever need.My most recent "go to" pedals are my AMT Stutterfly and TC Electronic Flashback x4.Others are a Vahlbruch SpaceTime,Guyatone Mighty Micro MDm5,G-Lab SD-1 Smooth Delay and Boss DD-20.The Skreddy Echo is next on my "to buy" list.

Ed

• Members

For recording, I use a goddamn cavern. It stretches for miles on end, and provides lush natural reverb.

For delay, I use 50 foot reflectors spaced at different intervals to get the desired effect.

This cavern is located deep inside the earth's crust for maximum tr00 grim kvltness.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Blakkwater

View Post

For recording, I use a goddamn cavern. It stretches for miles on end, and provides lush natural reverb.

For delay, I use 50 foot reflectors spaced at different intervals to get the desired effect.

This cavern is located deep inside the earth's crust for maximum tr00 grim kvltness.

That's awesome. I've always wanted to do this.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Mike LX-R

View Post

It was killer when I tried it. I need 2 straight forward delays. One with short repeats with relatively quick decay, and another with long repeats also quick decay that is timed to syncronize with the short delay every 2 or 3 repeats (if that makes sense). The lo-fi switch would be sweet for the long delay too.

Yeah, no way around two pedals, that's for sure. Or you can look into a piece of rack gear, but that is a whole other ball of wax.

I think the sound is the main thing, sucks to have to pay $300 for two pedals, but hey, if you like it, you like it. Plus, they are sexay looking too. White chickenhead knobs on a sparkly green? :drool:

• Members

I use an MXR Carbon Copy in front, and a TC Gma2 in in the loop, depending on what I'm trying to gt from it. Usually just the TC though.. for some mild echo on leads. I always think I'm going to want to do some dotted 8ths Edge type stuff... but never do.

So what am I missing here?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by ENdtime

View Post

The other is Electro Harmonix Memory Boy analog delay. I greatly prefer this the carbon copy. The standard delay isn't quite as dark as the carbon. So when used as just a simple delay, it does the job and sits nicely in the mix. I don't love how the controls are designed, but it's just takes a little different way of setting up the amount of delay you actually want in the signal. But this also has modulation effects like the carbon copy but with a few more options like a vibrato or chorus. A square wave or triangle wave and can even be controlled via an expression pedal to manipulate the sound live. Again when used, more or less, as a standard delay to add some life and wetness to your track, it does it on par with other decent analog delays. So it performs the bread and butter delay jusT fine.

But this also has extreme settings for the modulation that takes this pedal to a place I have yet to hear in another delay.. I've obviously heard other pedals be able to create above and beyond as well, but this has it's own vibe, for sure. I've seem some reviewers say any of the higher settings are unusable and I'll say they simply aren't creative or perhaps it's not the vibe they like but it's definitely usable., It can create some crazy sounding soundscapes that aren't just noise, even when i have a lot going on. You can get bleeps/bloops and other old time "space traveling" FX. And when you Dick around with the knobs while it's all going on it can get even more out there.. I'll abmit to being a bit underwhelmed by it initially, as I didn't grasp the creative flow of it, but once I did, I became a big fan..

I have the absolute same opinion on the Memory Boy! When I had it, I was extremely impressed by its warmth. The vibrato setting was giving me shivers on my spine, especially live, among all other instruments. A pedal with a very strong personality.

However, it was very temperamental, too. I had to part ways with it because it started to develop a weird malfunction. If I remember correctly, I bought it in the summer of 2009, shortly after it was released and it worked flawlessly just until late autumn, when the delay time started to fluctuate according to the outside temperature...rolleyes.gif The EHX guys said it was some circuit related issue, some element in the circuit was not working consistently on varying ambiental temperatures. I just couldn't use the pedal live anymore, because I couldn't rely on the delay time knob, so I sold it. I don't know if they addressed the issue, eventually.

• Members

Univox 70's Echo Chamber. Thing is temperamental -record head circuit is f'ing up. Use a mid 80's Digitech pds 1002 as backup. Saving for an El Capistan.

Yeah, like some people have said The Memory Boy is less than stellar. Analog doesn't mean muffly unclear returns.

This Univox demo is hysterical!

Archived