This morning I lost a little buddy.

Cirrus

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm so sorry for your loss, Cirrus.

Mrs. TDD and I are both cat lovers. We have five, but we've lost two (and added two) last year.

The first to go, this past spring, was a 21 year old Maine coon mix. Mrs. TDD has had him since he was a kitten. He had a good run; we were prepared for the end.

This summer, after a long search for a senior cat, we added a 15 year old Birman to the family. She's grumpy and not very friendly, but she's slowly coming around.

The second cat to leave us happened at the beginning of December. She was a tortie that we adopted from the shelter three years ago when she was - we think - 8 years old. She was a project: sickly and skittish when we got her, but turned completely around both in health and personality. She died suddenly and unexpectedly on a Saturday morning. Like you, I woke up early sensing something amiss. I found her under a bookcase shelf in the living room; she let out one long howl and was gone. Her vet suspects that an aggressive cancer was the cause.

The tortie was "my" cat (by her choice, of course). She used to seek me out and sit in my lap every morning before I left for work. She loved to be brushed. When she passed, I was shattered. A couple weeks later Mrs. TDD conspired with my older son to find me a tortie kitten. The kitten doesn't replace the lookalike who left us too soon, but rather honors her memory.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by kombi1976

View Post

More sexy time with 2 cats in the house. Didn't you realise they like sleeping on your bed, especially when you're in it. In fact often you need to get them to give you some space!rolleyes.gif

Mate. If I didn't know then I know now. Sage sleeps on our feet every night and has taken to washing our hair for us every morning as soon as she sees we've woken up. eek.gif Sandy wasn't so good at it because she'd always purr so loud we woke up, but sometimes you'd wake up and find she'd wrapped herself round space on your pillow. I took this the week before christmas - I had the week off, Hannah was at work, and I wanted her to know there's a good reason I hadn't got up yet.

20121219_112658-1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by YOUNGBLOOD

i fixed a doorframe, an AC vent, and a floorboard tonight. with power tools. so im square. mojo for sure, sir. man, call it stupid, but we still lay out christmas stuff for Oreo. Miss that dude.

What manner of man are you? A manly one, that's who.

Definitely not stupid. We put a treat in Sandy's paws once she was in the box we took her to the vet in.cry.gif

Quote Originally Posted by TieDyedDevil

View Post

Like you, I woke up early sensing something amiss. I found her under a bookcase shelf in the living room; she let out one long howl and was gone. Her vet suspects that an aggressive cancer was the cause.

The tortie was "my" cat (by her choice, of course). She used to seek me out and sit in my lap every morning before I left for work. She loved to be brushed. When she passed, I was shattered. A couple weeks later Mrs. TDD conspired with my older son to find me a tortie kitten. The kitten doesn't replace the lookalike who left us too soon, but rather honors her memory.

I think, apart from knowing I won't see her again, the thing that I regret most about what happened is that I wasn't there in the end. It's very comforting to me that she was put somewhere safe but visible and wrapped up - it gives me hope that someone was there, whoever they were.

I feel you on the new cat thing. We know we'll never replace her. I've never met a cat before who squawked more than she meowed, didn't know how to sit down properly, slept sprawled out like a drunk teenager, brought branches into the house and loved getting wet. She had no idea how to stalk pray. Whether it was a bird, insect or red laser dot, her tactic was to run as fast as she could towards it forever or until she caught it, whichever came first. icon_lol.gif

We'll get a new cat eventually, just want to work out how to best maximise the chances that they'll get on with Sage.

Thanks guys.smile.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus

View Post

Definitely not stupid. We put a treat in Sandy's paws once she was in the box we took her to the vet cry.gif

Add me to the list. They are, with the exeption of (most) of our parents and our kids, the only creatures who love us unconditionally, if they only receive a little love in return.

• Members

156410_10151071771361910_616393455_n.jpg

Here's mine - Katie / Ekaterina. Lost her November 8th and it still hurts every day.

She "adopted" me just after I broke up with my wife and moved into an apartment alone. While driving up to the apartment, in a sketchy part of town with some pretty irresponsible neighbours, I almost ran her over - she was sitting in the middle of the street. She ran into a parking lot, I got out of my car to go look for her. Found her and said "do you want to come inside? Get a good meal?" She came right up to me, and started following me as I walked up to my apartment. Came right inside, and settled down instantly. Stayed in for three days, and then really wanted to go out. Well, since she was a street cat and I wasn't sure she'd settled on me, I reluctantly let her out. A few hours later I opened the door to call her and she came running right back in - with her boyfriend! A big, all black male (christened Kipper). I guess she went to find him and told him life is good with me.

She was with me for five years . . . the sweetest, most loving cat you could ever imagine. Came into my life just when I needed her most. She came down with very aggressive lymphoma in September - nothing that the vets could do. Even with aggressive chemo, it would only give her at most five months. That's no way for her to spend her last days, so I brought her home and gave her the best life I could. She would barely eat; at the end, just baby food, and only then if I fed it to her off my fingers. Came home one afternoon and she was going into a coma - couldn't move, had no strength anywhere. Called the vet right away, managed to drive her there without losing it, and said goodbye. Lost it badly right after.

R.I.P. Ekaterina the Great. cry.gifcry.gifcry.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Dimetapp drinke

View Post

Here's mine - Katie / Ekaterina. Lost her November 8th and it still hurts every day.

She "adopted" me just after I broke up with my wife and moved into an apartment alone. While driving up to the apartment, in a sketchy part of town with some pretty irresponsible neighbours, I almost ran her over - she was sitting in the middle of the street. She ran into a parking lot, I got out of my car to go look for her. Found her and said "do you want to come inside? Get a good meal?" She came right up to me, and started following me as I walked up to my apartment. Came right inside, and settled down instantly. Stayed in for three days, and then really wanted to go out. Well, since she was a street cat and I wasn't sure she'd settled on me, I reluctantly let her out. A few hours later I opened the door to call her and she came running right back in - with her boyfriend! A big, all black male (christened Kipper). I guess she went to find him and told him life is good with me.

She was with me for five years . . . the sweetest, most loving cat you could ever imagine. Came into my life just when I needed her most. She came down with very aggressive lymphoma in September - nothing that the vets could do. Even with aggressive chemo, it would only give her at most five months. That's no way for her to spend her last days, so I brought her home and gave her the best life I could. She would barely eat; at the end, just baby food, and only then if I fed it to her off my fingers. Came home one afternoon and she was going into a coma - couldn't move, had no strength anywhere. Called the vet right away, managed to drive her there without losing it, and said goodbye. Lost it badly right after.

R.I.P. Ekaterina the Great. cry.gifcry.gifcry.gif

Kitty mojo to you as well, man.

Sometimes they know more than we do.. smile.gif

Beautiful faces on all the cats in the thread.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Dimetapp drinke

View Post

That was a lovely story. It's such a great feeling when a cat picks you. I remember the first time we left the cats in the garden on their own, I came out half an hour later to see what they were up to. Sage saw me from the far end and galloped down the grass as fast as she could straight up to me. Sandy's party trick when we had people over was to sit on each guest's lap in turn, fuss for a bit then move on. When she got to me she'd settle.

Your cat looks like she was very very cute.love.gif

• Members

Very sorry for your loss. It's a hard thing and a tear squeezed its way out when i read your story.

Since we are sharing stories...

Sadie was a buddy of mine for 10 years. I got her as a kitten when I was really in the worst time of my life. I was fat, miserable, lonely and bored. She kept me happy and fulfilled for years during that. I eventually found my now wife and we lived a happy life together with a new addition. Moose is the black kitten in the picture. He taunted Sadie daily. it was fun to watch. Moose is now a giant 16 lb kitty. In July of 2007, Sadie came down with cancer and was in major pain. I had to put her down and we buried her in the back yard at my mom's house where a few other of our kitties are buried. She has a grave stone and everything. To this day, i still have a hard time going to the spot where she is buried. I still miss her a lot. Some kitties just really stick with ya i guess.

DCP_0372.JPG

DCP_0369.JPG

Moose and his new buddy Simon these days

sofa2.jpg

Archived