Microsoft has turned into apple ? windows 8

EdgeOfDarkness

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by OverDriven

View Post

That certainly works, but why even move from Win 7 in that case?

Win8 is faster and it has improvements to Explorer, file copy, task manager, ect... Plus it's cheap to upgrade. It's actually a good OS and a worthy improvement over Windows 7, if you ignore all the metro crap. If MS had just included an option in the installer to use metro or not, they could have avoided a lot of the negativity towards 8. As of now, it's selling worse than Vista was at the same point, and we all know how that worked out for them.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by OverDriven

View Post

That certainly works, but why even move from Win 7 in that case?

Win8 is faster and it has improvements to Explorer, file copy, task manager, ect... Plus it's cheap to upgrade. It's actually a good OS and a worthy improvement over Windows 7, if you ignore all the metro crap. If MS had just included an option in the installer to use metro or not, they could have avoided a lot of the negativity towards 8. As of now, it's selling worse than Vista was at the same point, and we all know how that worked out for them.

• Members

I'm about to install 7 on my desktop when my SSD gets here. 8 holds no interest for me because I don't want my computer to look like a phone/tablet/other things I don't have and I'm lazy and don't want to switch back and forth or be bothered to make it go away.

First OS I've bought since....actually first OS I've ever bought. Always just used what came on my computer or linux. icon_lol.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by NeloAngelo

View Post

it's fast. as. {censored}.

7 was a dream, but 8 is sick as {censored}, after the learning curve.

Yep. That's why I say just grab start8 and you're good to go. Then you don't even have to deal with the "learning curve".

• Members

win8 i could live with. the thing i dont like is how theyre doing an app store. of course people are worried that MS will try to stop all installtion of software not bought on the app store. it would be suicide IMO, so i dont think theyll be that extreme with it. at least i hope not. if they do go that route, people will be hacking their PCs to get that functionality back! or just jumping ship to Linux.

and thats what i would do as well...i have 7 now, and i like it. but if MS forces me to buy everything through their proprietary store, ill flip em the bird. LOL

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by NeloAngelo

View Post

it's fast. as. {censored}.

7 was a dream, but 8 is sick as {censored}, after the learning curve.

I've used it extensively, and tested it because I was considering using it on the touchscreen systems I build and sell. The OS feels a bit snappier, but it doesn't run anything faster except for the 2-3 FPS gain you might see in games (which is such a small margin that it doesn't matter).

• Members

Bumping this thread - I said it earlier but I've got to say it again; install "Classic shell" on a Win 8 machine and you've got the best of both worlds. The classic start menu, toolbars etc... plus the option to go to the app start screen, use the charm bar etc... all on a fast, stable platform. I love it.

classicshell-cropped.jpg

Archived