Microsoft has turned into apple ? windows 8

EdgeOfDarkness

• Members

I have had android phone, iphone, and now windows 7 phone. Windows 7 phone is basic on the app side. But Outlook on it and texting are the best working features I have used on a phone. Android I liked having the widgets to get info. iOS doesn't really have any information without popping in and out of apps all day. It seems kind of antiquated, IMO. Though it does work nicely.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's not terrible and it's not great. What MS really needs is to get rid of Ballmer and find someone with some vision. Ballmer may be many things, but a visionary is not one of them. All good products are made by people who are led by someone with unwavering vision. Ballmer seems to be getting advice/instruction from other people, and is trying to make them all work together. The result is a bit of a jumbled mess.

• Members

It's not terrible and it's not great. What MS really needs is to get rid of Ballmer and find someone with some vision. Ballmer may be many things, but a visionary is not one of them. All good products are made by people who are led by someone with unwavering vision. Ballmer seems to be getting advice/instruction from other people, and is trying to make them all work together. The result is a bit of a jumbled mess.

• Members

I recently got a new Win 8 desktop and a Logitech touch pad(like the Apple one). It's taking some getting used to but I'm starting to really like it. It is a little clunky switching between interfaces but once the app store is more fleshed out there will be less of that. Having the same OS on your tablet as your pc is a pretty great idea

• Members

I recently got a new Win 8 desktop and a Logitech touch pad(like the Apple one). It's taking some getting used to but I'm starting to really like it. It is a little clunky switching between interfaces but once the app store is more fleshed out there will be less of that. Having the same OS on your tablet as your pc is a pretty great idea

• Members

I'll probably get name-called for this cry.gificon_lol.gif

But just got a Vizio tablet for the wifey to fool around with. She's not hardcore user, so I thought this reman would work well for her. Aside from the horrible launcher/app manager....it's pretty nice. I like Vizio's jump on all-in-one device. IR blaster is cool, has GPS- though I haven't tested it yet. Not sure if a phone is necessary, but I see them doing that maybe. Will hook up to TV soon.

For a small player in this market...they are doing some things right.

• Members

I'll probably get name-called for this cry.gificon_lol.gif

But just got a Vizio tablet for the wifey to fool around with. She's not hardcore user, so I thought this reman would work well for her. Aside from the horrible launcher/app manager....it's pretty nice. I like Vizio's jump on all-in-one device. IR blaster is cool, has GPS- though I haven't tested it yet. Not sure if a phone is necessary, but I see them doing that maybe. Will hook up to TV soon.

For a small player in this market...they are doing some things right.

• Members

I completely hated Windows 8 when I first used it, and have resisted moving to it as my main OS so far, but that's about to change. I had installed on a VM on my machine just so I could do some compatibility testing on my machine, and after using it for a while I'm completely sold. It was crazy confusing at first and I didn't like the way it looked at all, but I can see now the reason for it. It's CRAZY fast. I generally have about 6 apps running all the time, mostly development and database tools, and even in a VM I noticed that they were running significantly faster than the same apps running on my host Win 7 machine. I think a lot of that has to do with the new minimalist UI. No more wasted CPU cycles on making everything shiny/transparent. It's just sleek and streamlined. I'm still not crazy about the color schemes and new ALL CAPS menu system, but I guess it's ok. The most important thing I've learned is that if you plan to run Win 8 on a PC/laptop, you need to know your keyboard shortcuts. All the old shortcuts are still there (Alt + F4 to close an app/shut down, Win = Start Menu, Win+D = Desktop, Win + Arrow = Move window to different monitor), but a lot of the UI buttons for those have been either removed or moved around. So long as your comfortable w/ using the keyboard to navigate the UI, I don't think you'll have any problems with. The problem comes in if you rely heavily on the mouse to get around. Win 8 was definitely designed w/ the tablet PC in mind, so many of the navigation features employ the touch screen, gestures, and special buttons that those types of devices have. For those using it on a PC, though, I think the thought was that the keyboard is still the primary UI device.

• Members

I completely hated Windows 8 when I first used it, and have resisted moving to it as my main OS so far, but that's about to change. I had installed on a VM on my machine just so I could do some compatibility testing on my machine, and after using it for a while I'm completely sold. It was crazy confusing at first and I didn't like the way it looked at all, but I can see now the reason for it. It's CRAZY fast. I generally have about 6 apps running all the time, mostly development and database tools, and even in a VM I noticed that they were running significantly faster than the same apps running on my host Win 7 machine. I think a lot of that has to do with the new minimalist UI. No more wasted CPU cycles on making everything shiny/transparent. It's just sleek and streamlined. I'm still not crazy about the color schemes and new ALL CAPS menu system, but I guess it's ok. The most important thing I've learned is that if you plan to run Win 8 on a PC/laptop, you need to know your keyboard shortcuts. All the old shortcuts are still there (Alt + F4 to close an app/shut down, Win = Start Menu, Win+D = Desktop, Win + Arrow = Move window to different monitor), but a lot of the UI buttons for those have been either removed or moved around. So long as your comfortable w/ using the keyboard to navigate the UI, I don't think you'll have any problems with. The problem comes in if you rely heavily on the mouse to get around. Win 8 was definitely designed w/ the tablet PC in mind, so many of the navigation features employ the touch screen, gestures, and special buttons that those types of devices have. For those using it on a PC, though, I think the thought was that the keyboard is still the primary UI device.

• Members

Its wierd but once you get the metro screen setup with everything you go to I find it quicker and more useful than the old start menu trees. A few tips (you have to change with the times)

1. Start using that windows key that has done 0 for its entire existence. It will pop you in and out of the last thing you do.
2. In metro, need to find something just start typing. It will automatically jump over to the awesome search engine. Honestly its faster for me to type the first word and click on an icon then navigate down the old windows 7 menu.

• Members

Its wierd but once you get the metro screen setup with everything you go to I find it quicker and more useful than the old start menu trees. A few tips (you have to change with the times)

1. Start using that windows key that has done 0 for its entire existence. It will pop you in and out of the last thing you do.
2. In metro, need to find something just start typing. It will automatically jump over to the awesome search engine. Honestly its faster for me to type the first word and click on an icon then navigate down the old windows 7 menu.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by madrigal77

View Post

Grab start8. It gives you the start menu back and lets you totally bypass the new metro crap. It makes win8 actually usable as a desktop. I really don't know WTF MS was thinking with this.

That certainly works, but why even move from Win 7 in that case?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by madrigal77

View Post

Grab start8. It gives you the start menu back and lets you totally bypass the new metro crap. It makes win8 actually usable as a desktop. I really don't know WTF MS was thinking with this.

That certainly works, but why even move from Win 7 in that case?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Bucksstudent

View Post

Yes, but how long will PCs have Windows 7 for people who need new computers but don't want Windows 8? When the old, good stuff a person loves becomes obsolete, that person is left in the dark.

Yep, left in the dark. The World doesn't wait around for those resistant to change.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Bucksstudent

View Post

Yes, but how long will PCs have Windows 7 for people who need new computers but don't want Windows 8? When the old, good stuff a person loves becomes obsolete, that person is left in the dark.

Yep, left in the dark. The World doesn't wait around for those resistant to change.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Savage

View Post

I agree, but the fact is that as a desktop operating system, Win 8 does not make Win 7 obsolete. They are basically the same, but Windows 7 doesn't have all the tablet/Metro stuff that non-tablet users don't need anyways. I'm building a computer right now, and I'm installing Windows 7 on it because I don't want to have to install another piece of software (Start8) to make it work like a desktop computer. Besides, Start8 is basically a hack to the OS, and I don't like that.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Savage

View Post

I agree, but the fact is that as a desktop operating system, Win 8 does not make Win 7 obsolete. They are basically the same, but Windows 7 doesn't have all the tablet/Metro stuff that non-tablet users don't need anyways. I'm building a computer right now, and I'm installing Windows 7 on it because I don't want to have to install another piece of software (Start8) to make it work like a desktop computer. Besides, Start8 is basically a hack to the OS, and I don't like that.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by OverDriven

View Post

Agreed completely and furthermore a PC being obsolete is a situational/personal thing. If the one you have still does the job then it's not obsolete. Getting support is another thing but PCs are so cheap nowadays that if it's dead after 4 years (or less) you just buy a new one.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by OverDriven

View Post

Agreed completely and furthermore a PC being obsolete is a situational/personal thing. If the one you have still does the job then it's not obsolete. Getting support is another thing but PCs are so cheap nowadays that if it's dead after 4 years (or less) you just buy a new one.

Archived