Microsoft has turned into apple ? windows 8

EdgeOfDarkness

• Members

i have win 8 & aside from lagging driver availability for some things I like it. Use it in traditional mode on a non-touch PC & avoid the metro part.

except for xbox (edit: & zune), microsoft has generally avoided the 'hey, we're hip' marketing - but this latest push with win 8 & surface is very apple-like. needs more dancing silhouettes

ballmer_darkness.jpg

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

i have win 8 & aside from lagging driver availability for some things I like it. Use it in traditional mode on a non-touch PC & avoid the metro part.

except for xbox (edit: & zune), microsoft has generally avoided the 'hey, we're hip' marketing - but this latest push with win 8 & surface is very apple-like. needs more dancing silhouettes

ballmer_darkness.jpg

• Members

At first I was skeptical about this too. I'm a systems engineer at a government contractor, just for my background.

I said to hell with it a month or two ago and installed windows 8 and office 2013 on my work machine. At first it was a little wierd, but once you learn how to get around again I find navigation to be superior. I'm impressed with 2 things. Microsoft is finally in a position that it needs to innovate again and having a full featured OS on a tablet is much better than something like iOS where you get a handicapped version with tightly controlled 3rd party software.

Apple is now stuck in a position that Microsoft was where it is hard to innovate because they are worried about alienating their client base.

• Members

At first I was skeptical about this too. I'm a systems engineer at a government contractor, just for my background.

I said to hell with it a month or two ago and installed windows 8 and office 2013 on my work machine. At first it was a little wierd, but once you learn how to get around again I find navigation to be superior. I'm impressed with 2 things. Microsoft is finally in a position that it needs to innovate again and having a full featured OS on a tablet is much better than something like iOS where you get a handicapped version with tightly controlled 3rd party software.

Apple is now stuck in a position that Microsoft was where it is hard to innovate because they are worried about alienating their client base.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by bdubbs View Post

Microsoft is finally in a position that it needs to innovate again and having a full featured OS on a tablet is much better than something like iOS where you get a handicapped version with tightly controlled 3rd party software.
And what do you think where things will be going with Windows? cop.gif

Windows 8 is like 2 OSes stuck together, which do not even communicate together very well. Seems like nobody at MS knows the difference between an app and a program cop.gif

Metro is just terrible, even on a tablet. It is archaic and just pretends to be Apple OS

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by bdubbs View Post

Microsoft is finally in a position that it needs to innovate again and having a full featured OS on a tablet is much better than something like iOS where you get a handicapped version with tightly controlled 3rd party software.
And what do you think where things will be going with Windows? cop.gif

Windows 8 is like 2 OSes stuck together, which do not even communicate together very well. Seems like nobody at MS knows the difference between an app and a program cop.gif

Metro is just terrible, even on a tablet. It is archaic and just pretends to be Apple OS

• Members

Been using Windows 8 since it got released for volume licensing. Didn't like it at first but it's grown on me. Once you uninstall the Metro apps it's actually very usable. I won't really like the full screen start menu but it's not horrible. Win8 actually seems to be quite a bit faster than 7.

That said, I can't wait to see the backlash that comes when I start giving users Windows 8 machines.

• Members

Been using Windows 8 since it got released for volume licensing. Didn't like it at first but it's grown on me. Once you uninstall the Metro apps it's actually very usable. I won't really like the full screen start menu but it's not horrible. Win8 actually seems to be quite a bit faster than 7.

That said, I can't wait to see the backlash that comes when I start giving users Windows 8 machines.

• Members

Whether you enjoy Windows 8 or not it was something Microsoft had to do unfortunately, IMO, it's too little too late. Apple has nailed the sharing and communicating across all the devices quite well. Also, Microsoft phones are a laughing stock. Whether you enjoy Apple or not you have to give them credit where credit is due.

If you want a system that reminds you of Windows and has great features, go Linux (of course most recording devices won't work, doh facepalm.gif) but it's a nice operating system choice.

At the end of the day maybe Google should buy Microsoft and then integrate with Android. That'd be a better bet than Microsoft trying to incorporate all of their trash in to one bin.

• Members

Whether you enjoy Windows 8 or not it was something Microsoft had to do unfortunately, IMO, it's too little too late. Apple has nailed the sharing and communicating across all the devices quite well. Also, Microsoft phones are a laughing stock. Whether you enjoy Apple or not you have to give them credit where credit is due.

If you want a system that reminds you of Windows and has great features, go Linux (of course most recording devices won't work, doh facepalm.gif) but it's a nice operating system choice.

At the end of the day maybe Google should buy Microsoft and then integrate with Android. That'd be a better bet than Microsoft trying to incorporate all of their trash in to one bin.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by lank81 View Post

My RME Hammerfall worked fine on Linux nearly 10 years ago, one of the reasons I think those guys are *totally awesome*.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by lank81 View Post

My RME Hammerfall worked fine on Linux nearly 10 years ago, one of the reasons I think those guys are *totally awesome*.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by "sasquatch"

View Post

apple is {censored}. they stopped being innovative in the 90s. now they just re-hash everything and charge licensing fees. they release of "good enough" products with giant patches eminent is laughable. i am not an MS fanboi; just stating the obvious.

had to change some things around, now your post is completely correct.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by "sasquatch"

View Post

apple is {censored}. they stopped being innovative in the 90s. now they just re-hash everything and charge licensing fees. they release of "good enough" products with giant patches eminent is laughable. i am not an MS fanboi; just stating the obvious.

had to change some things around, now your post is completely correct.

• Members

I have had android phone, iphone, and now windows 7 phone. Windows 7 phone is basic on the app side. But Outlook on it and texting are the best working features I have used on a phone. Android I liked having the widgets to get info. iOS doesn't really have any information without popping in and out of apps all day. It seems kind of antiquated, IMO. Though it does work nicely.

Archived