JCA Owners!! Join the Jet City Lounge!!

guitarbilly74

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by jimosity

View Post

Now americanmusical has 2/25 as the available date...

I'm on the edge of my seat, waiting to order a JCA50H as soon as they're in stock. That is, as long as there are no further delays...Also, I'll be getting the JCA24S to go with it and plan to re-tube pretty much right away. I've got a full (mish-mosh) set from Doug's Tubes coming tomorrow:

Tung-Sol RI 12AX7

Ruby HG+ 12AX7

Mullard RI 12AX7

Penta 12AX7

Sovtek 12AX7LPS

EH 6L6

Yeah, I couldn't decide, so I've I've got some rollin' to do. Needless to say, it might take me awhile to settle on a preferred combination for V1-V4.

Except for dabbling here and there in the past, I've only been playing seriously for just over a year and still feel like a hack. Nevertheless, I've been loving it. I only play at home, for now, but have lots of opportunities to turn it up. I've been playing through Vox VT30 modeling amp and, frankly, none of the higher gain channels are very convincing, so I'm looking forward to my first-ever tube amp.

Ok, total noob question. At the moment, I only have a single speaker cable. What are the advantages/disadvantages to running mono vs. stereo from the JCA50H to JCA24S?

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by CoonDog42

View Post

I'm on the edge of my seat, waiting to order a JCA50H as soon as they're in stock. That is, as long as there are no further delays...Also, I'll be getting the JCA24S to go with it and plan to re-tube pretty much right away. I've got a full (mish-mosh) set from Doug's Tubes coming tomorrow:

Tung-Sol RI 12AX7

Ruby HG+ 12AX7

Mullard RI 12AX7

Penta 12AX7

Sovtek 12AX7LPS

EH 6L6

Yeah, I couldn't decide, so I've I've got some rollin' to do. Needless to say, it might take me awhile to settle on a preferred combination for V1-V4.

Except for dabbling here and there in the past, I've only been playing seriously for just over a year and still feel like a hack. Nevertheless, I've been loving it. I only play at home, for now, but have lots of opportunities to turn it up. I've been playing through Vox VT30 modeling amp and, frankly, none of the higher gain channels are very convincing, so I'm looking forward to my first-ever tube amp.

Ok, total noob question. At the moment, I only have a single speaker cable. What are the advantages/disadvantages to running mono vs. stereo from the JCA50H to JCA24S?

It's a mono amp so just run it mono, running in "stereo" won't really be stereo and it won't make any difference other than you'd have to buy 2 cables.

The available date of this amp keeps being pushed back. This has been going on since at least November.

Sucks, but at the moment, it's nearly impossible to find any of these amps online. Only the 100w and 20w models and the cabs are available. Apparently, this won't change anytime soon. It's worth the wait though, I love my JCA50

• Members

For anyone interested.... I decided to order the Bitmo Mod for my jca2112rc. I have a thread asking about this mod and didn't really get alot of feedback.... I figured what the he**, it's only about $40.00 or so with shipping so I'll give it a try and see what it does. I'll try and post some pics and maybe video (if i can figure out how) if anyone is interested.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Kev369

View Post

eek.gif Put a KT88 in it and convince me to buy one!

I played around with it last night with a ruby KT88 and some of the ruby HG preamp tubes. Fun little amp that can actually get surprisingly loud. I'll have hopefully a full review up tomorrow. may not be able to get a video done until next week since I'm going out of town this weekend.

the amp is really simple inside though. I think it will be a really cool little amp for modding.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by FastRedPonyCar

View Post

I played around with it last night with a ruby KT88 and some of the ruby HG preamp tubes. Fun little amp that can actually get surprisingly loud. I'll have hopefully a full review up tomorrow. may not be able to get a video done until next week since I'm going out of town this weekend.

the amp is really simple inside though. I think it will be a really cool little amp for modding.

Can't wait! The little time I spent with one made me really happy.

• Members

I'm still loving my JCA100Hlove.gif

Brought the Tele up to practice last night and I forgot how big it sounds through the 100H. I've been trying to start up a cow punk/alt. country band and I was worried the Jet City was too modern sounding to handle it. But after tweaking the normal channel and boosting it with my OCD, I got all the tones I need for that style of music in spades with my Tele. A good amount of bite, snarl, and twang with out sounding harsh or too compressed. Responded to pick attack and playing dynamics so freakin' well. This amp is just so damn versatilebiggrin.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by atrox

View Post

Yeah. The JCA's really make the single coils shine I find. On my 2203, my Strats and Tele can get a bit ice-picky at normal EQ levels.

Yeah, I had that same issue with my old 2204. I can get the 100H pretty damn close to my old JCM 800's tone, though, but with a more controllable EQ. I had them side by side and could nail the 2204's tones on the 100H's normal channel. The 2204 was out the door pretty soon after thaticon_lol.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by FuelGTRX

View Post

Yeah, I had that same issue with my old 2204. I can get the 100H pretty damn close to my old JCM 800's tone, though, but with a more controllable EQ. I had them side by side and could nail the 2204's tones on the 100H's normal channel. The 2204 was out the door pretty soon after thaticon_lol.gif

I still have both and I use them for different projects, but yeah.. i was able to get very close to the 2203 with my 100H. The Marshall has more bite, where the JCA is smoother, but the general tone was close.

I have the metal faceplate as well, but I have a black tolex plate i no longer use. I realize you can get those online though.

• Members

View Post

I still have both and I use them for different projects, but yeah.. i was able to get very close to the 2203 with my 100H. The Marshall has more bite, where the JCA is smoother, but the general tone was close.

I have the metal faceplate as well, but I have a black tolex plate i no longer use. I realize you can get those online though.

how much for the black tolex plate? biggrin.gif

• Members

View Post

Yeah, my 2204 was a Ceriatone with Mojotone iron. It was a bit warmer sounding than most JCM 800's I have played, so that may have been a factor.

Archived