JCA Owners!! Join the Jet City Lounge!!

guitarbilly74

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

how loud is this thing? drummer plays pretty loud and i can't hardly keep up with him on a SS crate amp with 4x12 ( lol, i know. It wasn't mine but i sold my dsl401 last year and haven't bought a tube amp after that).

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Yarbicus

View Post

This one really interests me, too. A clean + crunch channel JCA sounds absolutely ideal to me. I do wish that combo was available at 20 watts, though. Oh, and even though I wrote the manual for this amp, I still have never actually seen one!

I've been waiting for a real good YouTube clip to come along but just so so ones so far.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by guitarbilly74

View Post

it adds a little more headroom but it hurts the main tone IMHO.

Hmm...not good. I love the basic tone and don't want to mess with that. Anybody got other suggestions? I am currently using JJ 12ax7 tubes.

• Members

View Post

Hmm...not good. I love the basic tone and don't want to mess with that. Anybody got other suggestions? I am currently using JJ 12ax7 tubes.

Not really. It's a low powered single-channel amp, headroom is going to be low no matter what. I think there is a mod to add a clean/crunch switch on the amp, ask Edge11 he's been working on a lot of mods for the JCA.

I would just use a volume pedal with a minimum volume control to clean up the tone or do the Paul Gilbert trick with the compressor.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by saijo

View Post

how loud is this thing? drummer plays pretty loud and i can't hardly keep up with him on a SS crate amp with 4x12 ( lol, i know. It wasn't mine but i sold my dsl401 last year and haven't bought a tube amp after that).

The 20w? It's not loud enough for a band with a heavy drummer, but then again my definition of heavy drummer may be different than yours. I would look into the 50w or 100w heads though.

For a band with a light drummer, it should be enough as long as you are not expecting to fill the room with it.

• Members

View Post

Not really. It's a low powered single-channel amp, headroom is going to be low no matter what. I think there is a mod to add a clean/crunch switch on the amp, ask Edge11 he's been working on a lot of mods for the JCA.

I would just use a volume pedal with a minimum volume control to clean up the tone or do the Paul Gilbert trick with the compressor.

And, of course, that is what I already do. JCA amps are crazy responsive to input level, which I love.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by saijo

View Post

If you're referring to the JCA22H, I just took it to rehearsal tonight to let my guitarist use.. Ran it through the Kustom Tuck and Roll cab.. We play a Doom/Punk/Sludge kind of thing.. It was totally loud enough, didn't even have to crank it all the way.. Kept up with the rest of the band no problem.. He was running his Big Muff into it, sounded like it meant business....

• Members

View Post

I have read most of this thread but there is just too much to find any specific piece of info. Does changing V1 to a 12au7 add much clean headroom?

I added a 12at7 to mine and it helped a toouch not a huge change but it's there.

I want to know what the new JCA20hv is going to be like. As that is supposed to be a little cleaner.

• Members

View Post

The 20w? It's not loud enough for a band with a heavy drummer, but then again my definition of heavy drummer may be different than yours. I would look into the 50w or 100w heads though.

For a band with a light drummer, it should be enough as long as you are not expecting to fill the room with it.

Thank you.

• Members

Proud owner of a jca 100 head here. A question though. I've replaced the preamp tubes with jj's and the power tubes with sovtek 5881 without biasing (no bias tool yet). Are they good power tubes since soldano uses them too or is there room for improvement ? So far i've researched this :

jj 6l6 : good tube, a little on the dark side for the jca. Affordable

sed winged c : one forum member swears by them, expensive, comment of having a very strong midrange.

kt 66 : fastredponycar uses them to great effect, but all his demo's sound great. Very expensive.

It sounds good with the sovteks, big improvement over the stock chinese grating highs, but they are microphonic. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I don't have the funds to try them all out.

btw, i think i'm the first one in Belgium to own a jca, and it is such an improvement over my engl. I thank harmony central amp forums for the gift of GAS.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Anodizer

View Post

Ugh.. Did I do something wrong??

You're totally good dude! I made a thread a few weeks ago that had something to do with the tuck n' roll. Embarrassing as {censored} for me, so I jokingly get mad every time someone mentions one.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by koen77

View Post

Proud owner of a jca 100 head here. A question though. I've replaced the preamp tubes with jj's and the power tubes with sovtek 5881 without biasing (no bias tool yet). Are they good power tubes since soldano uses them too or is there room for improvement ? So far i've researched this :

jj 6l6 : good tube, a little on the dark side for the jca. Affordable

sed winged c : one forum member swears by them, expensive, comment of having a very strong midrange.

kt 66 : fastredponycar uses them to great effect, but all his demo's sound great. Very expensive.

It sounds good with the sovteks, big improvement over the stock chinese grating highs, but they are microphonic. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I don't have the funds to try them all out.

btw, i think i'm the first one in Belgium to own a jca, and it is such an improvement over my engl. I thank harmony central amp forums for the gift of GAS.

I still think the Sovtek 5881 is the best match for this amp. Another person that agrees with me on that is Mike Soldano, so there you go.

Your power tubes are not microphonic, that just doesn't happen, it's one of the preamp tubes for sure. Replace one by one with one of the old Chinese tubes until you find the culprit, then put a good tube in there.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Neilrocks25

View Post

Its a fun amp, but change the valves ASAP, I prefer it gain on 3 and pushed with pedals

Yeah a tube change makes a world of difference. The stock power tubes are Shuguang EL84s and a lot of people seem to like them, but the stock preamp tubes suck.

• Members

So mine has JJ EL84s in it. Guy said he bought it new but never changed the tubes??? Weird. Do they ship with JJs? Haven't had a chance to really play it yet apart from through this crappy Marshall MG412 the guy had when I picked it up. Will give it a go through in the rehearsal studio tomorrow. The pre-amp tubes are unbranded apart from saying 'CHINA' on them.

• Members

Hi gents... I'm enjoying my 22H very much! I'm interested to see what other kinds of tone I can get from this with tube changes...?

I guess the kind of music I play would probably help out..

I enjoy playing stuff that is similar to Black Sabbath, Sleep, High On Fire, Acid King, Kyuss, The Melvins, St. Vitus, Mastodon, etc.

Not really concerned with clean tone.... Not wanting to run pedals. Well, maybe a wah now and then..What's good in your opinions? Do I need to change Pre-amp and Power amp tubes? From what I understand, these amps are pre-biased so I can change out the tubes myself..? I am mechanically inclined(enough to matter)..

Thanks for suggestions!

Archived