JCA Owners!! Join the Jet City Lounge!!

guitarbilly74

• Members

I bought a JCA50h a couple of weeks ago and have been pleased with it. The only problem I have had is that I am getting terrible feedback on the overdrive channel at higher volume. Because of this, I have been using pedals with the crunch channel when jamming with the band. My guess is that replacing the preamp tubes will solve this problem. Just have to decide what tubes to use.

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricBlues

View Post

I bought a JCA50h a couple of weeks ago and have been pleased with it. The only problem I have had is that I am getting terrible feedback on the overdrive channel at higher volume. Because of this, I have been using pedals with the crunch channel when jamming with the band. My guess is that replacing the preamp tubes will solve this problem. Just have to decide what tubes to use.

SOVTECK 12ax7.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Anodizer

View Post

Hi gents... I'm enjoying my 22H very much! I'm interested to see what other kinds of tone I can get from this with tube changes...?

I guess the kind of music I play would probably help out..

I enjoy playing stuff that is similar to Black Sabbath, Sleep, High On Fire, Acid King, Kyuss, The Melvins, St. Vitus, Mastodon, etc.

Not really concerned with clean tone.... Not wanting to run pedals. Well, maybe a wah now and then..What's good in your opinions? Do I need to change Pre-amp and Power amp tubes? From what I understand, these amps are pre-biased so I can change out the tubes myself..? I am mechanically inclined(enough to matter)..

Thanks for suggestions!

I Put JJ EL 84's in the power section, and I run Sovteck 12ax7wa in V1 V3 V4 and a Sovteck Ax7WB in V5, in V2 I have a 5751 NOS tube that I put there to help with the clean a bit.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Neilrocks25

View Post

Its a fun amp, but change the valves ASAP, I prefer it gain on 3 and pushed with pedals

Not sure how my 50's crunch channel lines up with the gain on the single-channel 20 (but I think they're supposed to be similar/same), but I have to totally agree with you about this after spending time with my TC BLD doing a mild clean boost on my crunch channel set right at 3. Totally cool, grungy, tight sound with my SG. Absolutely loving that combo!

Quote Originally Posted by guitarbilly74

View Post

The speakers on the Line 6 cabs are not Seventy/Eighties, they're actually a re-labelled Classic Lead 80 with a little flatter response. I like the V30s a bit better for the mid hump, but that's personal taste. Your speakers are just as good, so it wouldn't be an upgrade at all, just a different tone. The CL80 is a great sounding speaker.

Thanks for the response, Billy. You're sure about it being CL80s? This is the cheaper L6 4x12 (Spider) cab that I have, not the bigger one they sell now. I thought for sure I had seen quite a bit of research on the old L6 forum about those speakers being 70/80s. Assuming you're right, it sounds like pretty good news all-around for me. Not bad for $150, then. I also have a 2x12 that I built to go with it that I think sounds pretty good - it's running an open-back Boogie C90 and a Thiele-ported EVM12L.

• Members

Grime, I had the cheaper Line6 4x12 with "custom celestion" speakers and changed it for a Marshall 1960AV which is loaded with V30s. In comparison the Marshall has pretty much more of everything. It is brighter, has more mids and a lot more punchy bass. My Spider Valve HD100 is pretty much unusable with the Marshall because of the bass - a depth mod for that amp would be pretty good ;-)

I had problems competing with the Line6 against an AC30 in the band but with the Marshall I can finally hear what I play.

I own an 100H and am wondering if anyone managed to get usable tones from the overdrive channel with volume past 3. Different power tubes maybe?

• Members

Hi looking for a little help with my sons jca22h. My twelve year old son has been playing the jca20 for about a year and his grades earned him an upgrade. Yesterday we got a 22h from an on line retailer. the crunch channel sounds great I think maybe a little fuller then the 20 sounded. The problem is the od channel. When he hits the switch it squeals like a pig in heat and the only thing that will control it is the preamp knob. I emailed jet city and there response all though fast was a little lacking in information. It said to check the tubes to make sure they are glowing. It also said that the amp was designed to plug and play so if a tube is bad you can just get the same kind and put it in. Being a total noob (or kook which ever you prefer) I have know idea where to start. I can only see 5 tubes through the grill and they all have some color some a little stronger then others but color. Any help that you may provide would be helpful. I am not totally mechanically challenged so I am willing to give this tube replacement a try just don't know where to start. By the way v1, v2 v3 etc. mean absolutely nothing to me. Thanks

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by kocher

View Post

Grime, I had the cheaper Line6 4x12 with "custom celestion" speakers and changed it for a Marshall 1960AV which is loaded with V30s. In comparison the Marshall has pretty much more of everything. It is brighter, has more mids and a lot more punchy bass. My Spider Valve HD100 is pretty much unusable with the Marshall because of the bass - a depth mod for that amp would be pretty good ;-)

I had problems competing with the Line6 against an AC30 in the band but with the Marshall I can finally hear what I play.

I own an 100H and am wondering if anyone managed to get usable tones from the overdrive channel with volume past 3. Different power tubes maybe?

Man... I've been trying sooo hard to resist the Marshall urge, but hearing things like this is really telling me that I'm missing out on something special... probably gonna have to break down and upgrade sometime soon...

Thanks for the feedback

• Members

Hey gents! I haven't had time to mess with the tubes yet as I'm pleased with the overall sound of the JCA22H.. I hooked up my H@K Cream Machine using the first channel.. Sounds like Sunn O))) kind of tone.. Really diggin' it!! Anyhow, I replaced the old Jensens in my Kustom Tuck and Roll cab with the Webber Veteran 30's. Read that they were comparable to Vintage 30s at less than half the price.. Why not?? HUGE HUGE HUGE HUGE difference!! The lows are LOW and tight.. I have to actually back off the low end setting now as I had it turned up all the way before.. The mids are nice and pronounced but not over bearing.. The highs are crisp when they need to be but subtle when you back off.. Man, I don't think I'll even have to mess with changing out tubes on the JCA22h.. This thing kills it now! Got a nice Dunlop wah modded with a pot to adjust midrange.. Having all sorts of fun! Pissing of the neighbors!! This amp is the best thing that's happened to me since my two kids were born(figuratively speaking)..

I recommend this amp to anyone.. It's way loud enough to play pretty much anything, anyone.. PLays over drums, bass, vocals.. If you use the right speakers, it'll hang with anything.. We play doom/sludge type stuff and this thing kills it.. Everything I've connected either through the effects loop or straight in has gotten along very well with this amp.. I don't think there's anything else in it's class that comes close to the price.. My other guitarist plays an Orange Duel Terror through an Orange 2x12 cab (sealed back).. The two tones played together complement each other beautifully.. Sounds close to being at a Sleep or High On Fire show... Like a wall of sound... I totally got the sound I wanted out of this thing.. Totally enthralled! And that little Tuck and roll Cab was a sleeper.. Sounds 10x better with the new speakers.. I'm good to go! Who lives in Indiana and wants to jam out Sabbathy Sludgey Doom? I bet no one.. Stuck with cats who play stuff like Nicksack(back) and Creed types.. Meh...

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by isuck

View Post

Hi looking for a little help with my sons jca22h. My twelve year old son has been playing the jca20 for about a year and his grades earned him an upgrade. Yesterday we got a 22h from an on line retailer. the crunch channel sounds great I think maybe a little fuller then the 20 sounded. The problem is the od channel. When he hits the switch it squeals like a pig in heat and the only thing that will control it is the preamp knob. I emailed jet city and there response all though fast was a little lacking in information. It said to check the tubes to make sure they are glowing. It also said that the amp was designed to plug and play so if a tube is bad you can just get the same kind and put it in. Being a total noob (or kook which ever you prefer) I have know idea where to start. I can only see 5 tubes through the grill and they all have some color some a little stronger then others but color. Any help that you may provide would be helpful. I am not totally mechanically challenged so I am willing to give this tube replacement a try just don't know where to start. By the way v1, v2 v3 etc. mean absolutely nothing to me. Thanks

Hi there - could you email me - doug@jetcityamplification.com, maybe I can help with more information. Sounds like you have a microphonic tube in there. D.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Just bought a Jet City JCA5212RC..
Am looking at getting the following sounds out of my new JCA5212RC, with depth mod...
VH1 Brown sound: Thinking the crunch channel maxed, maybe a tube screamer in front?
Santana Supernatural sound: Crunch channel with a zendrive?
Metallica AJFA: Clean channel with an MT2?

Any suggestions welcome!

• Members

Any ever use a vintage Kustom Tuck and Roll cab with their JCA20 or 22H? It's got the original Jensens.. Sounds ok, but looking for a better sound.. Think a speaker change out would do? How about Veteran 30 from Weber?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

View Post

Any ever use a vintage Kustom Tuck and Roll cab with their JCA20 or 22H? It's got the original Jensens.. Sounds ok, but looking for a better sound.. Think a speaker change out would do? How about Veteran 30 from Weber?

V30s are a great match for the JCA. I've tried a lot of speakers with it and the V30s were my favorite.

• Members

View Post

In your previous post #410 a few weeks back , you said you had put the Webers in that cab and it sounded greatconfused.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by shane159

View Post

In your previous post #410 a few weeks back , you said you had put the Webers in that cab and it sounded greatconfused.gif

Ended up selling them and getting Celestion G12-T75s.

Sound even better.... nvm

• Members

I'm in with a new Jet City Picovalve, couldn't pass it up for $169 at GC on clearance.

This is a nice sounding amp and is a great platform to experiment with both preamp and power tubes. There is very little clean headroom (almost none) with 2 12ax7's in the preamp, so I swapped V1 out for a JJ 12au7 and put a 1980's 12ax7 in V2, and there are now a lot more sounds to be had from this amp. It now starts to get crunchy with the gain at 12 o'clock, as opposed to 9-10 o'clock with previous tube arrangement. I also have a 12at7 that I will experiment with in the preamp. The stock chinese 6L6 sounds good, I am currently running a 1980s EL34 in the power section which also sounds nice. Looking to try 6550 and KT88 in the power amp.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by PSH

View Post

I'm in with a new Jet City Picovalve, couldn't pass it up for $169 at GC on clearance.

This is a nice sounding amp and is a great platform to experiment with both preamp and power tubes. There is very little clean headroom (almost none) with 2 12ax7's in the preamp, so I swapped V1 out for a JJ 12au7 and put a 1980's 12ax7 in V2, and there are now a lot more sounds to be had from this amp. It now starts to get crunchy with the gain at 12 o'clock, as opposed to 9-10 o'clock with previous tube arrangement. I also have a 12at7 that I will experiment with in the preamp. The stock chinese 6L6 sounds good, I am currently running a 1980s EL34 in the power section which also sounds nice. Looking to try 6550 and KT88 in the power amp.

Very cool, let us know how you like the KT88 and 6550 when you try them thumb.gif

Also, try a 5751 in the preamp, it's a low gain tube and it's very musical sounding. 12AT7's can be harsh in the gain position but they sound great in the PI.

• Members

I need to get some more tubes, a 5751 is on my list, any recommendations of current production or reasonably priced NOS? I am going to try a JJ 12AT7 in V2 to see how that sounds with a 12ax7 or 12au7 in V1

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by PSH

View Post

I need to get some more tubes, a 5751 is on my list, any recommendations of current production or reasonably priced NOS? I am going to try a JJ 12AT7 in V2 to see how that sounds with a 12ax7 or 12au7 in V1

The Sovtek 5751 is nice for current production tubes. If you want NOS, the JAN-Phillips is awesome and normally sells for only $10 more than the Sovtek.

• Members

I got some problems with the tone of my JCA100H in the overdrive channel (added simple clean channel and depth mod).

Usually I keep the gain and the volume on around 3. But if I raise the volume just a little say to 3.5 the sound gets unpleasantly bassy, fuzzy and muddy.

I already changed all the tubes to JJ ECC83S and TAD 6L6WGC-STR and biased the power tubes properly.

Archived