JCA Owners!! Join the Jet City Lounge!!

guitarbilly74

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by kocher

View Post

I got some problems with the tone of my JCA100H in the overdrive channel (added simple clean channel and depth mod).

Usually I keep the gain and the volume on around 3. But if I raise the volume just a little say to 3.5 the sound gets unpleasantly bassy, fuzzy and muddy.

I already changed all the tubes to JJ ECC83S and TAD 6L6WGC-STR and biased the power tubes properly.

That's not normal, I had my volume and gain around 6 and it sounded great, it does get bassier as you turn up, but not fuzzy or muddy. I'd check the mods and make sure nothing was affected when they were done.

• Members

Jet city amps are actually pretty awesome,,,even tho they get them made in china I was suprised how nicely built they are.

I modded mine to the browneye with the saturation switch "hardwired" in since I like it on All the time. Awesome amp for small gigs or practice.

• Members

So far loving my JCA20H. Replaced the stock tubes with a JJ in V1 and Mullards for V2 and PI. I even bought the newer Jet City 1X12 cab with the DI on the back. I really like having the option of open back or closed back on the 1X12 as well. Made in China or not, these are great amps!

• Members

is owning a JCA12S 1x12 cab sufficient to join this exclusive club? Great little cab by the way, especially at the ridiculously low price. Doesn't sound or feel cheap - looks? maybe. Still, can't beat it with a stick deal-wise.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by vbshredder

View Post

is owning a JCA12S 1x12 cab sufficient to join this exclusive club? Great little cab by the way, especially at the ridiculously low price. Doesn't sound or feel cheap - looks? maybe. Still, can't beat it with a stick deal-wise.

yep, it sure is thumb.gif welcome to the club lol

• Members

jet city jca20 clean tones

Hey guys these are getting more afordable since the 22h came out and im thinking about picking one up to run a distortion pedal on and getting two channels basically. but i havent found any good clean tones with one, has anyone gotten any good cleans and have any demos?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by digiadaamore

View Post

jet city jca20 clean tones

Hey guys these are getting more afordable since the 22h came out and im thinking about picking one up to run a distortion pedal on and getting two channels basically. but i havent found any good clean tones with one, has anyone gotten any good cleans and have any demos?

The clean tones are really cool, but the headroom for cleans on the 20h is really low. It's better to spend a bit more and get a 22h.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by guitarbilly74

View Post

The clean tones are really cool, but the headroom for cleans on the 20h is really low. It's better to spend a bit more and get a 22h.

This.

Dues mod can get pretty clean though but not for long.

• Members

hey guys, little story here. So i ordered the nova system for effects at a local music store (you know, support you local businesses) but the damn thing hasn't arrived after 3 weeks and i have a gig on saturday. So no delay,chorus, harmony lead, but most of all, no solo boost. As a final idea i set my clean channel crunchy (gain at 6-7) and boosted with a ts9 or a bad monkey so i can use the lead channel for solo's. I tried it yesterday, and it sounded great !!! Same basic tone and saturation, easier pinch harmonics because of the boost, for cleans i have to roll back on the volume and it does sound a little more dull, but i am saved for the gig.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by koen77

View Post

hey guys, little story here. So i ordered the nova system for effects at a local music store (you know, support you local businesses) but the damn thing hasn't arrived after 3 weeks and i have a gig on saturday. So no delay,chorus, harmony lead, but most of all, no solo boost. As a final idea i set my clean channel crunchy (gain at 6-7) and boosted with a ts9 or a bad monkey so i can use the lead channel for solo's. I tried it yesterday, and it sounded great !!! Same basic tone and saturation, easier pinch harmonics because of the boost, for cleans i have to roll back on the volume and it does sound a little more dull, but i am saved for the gig.

The JCA secret: you have found it! Seriously, this is exactly how the amp works best. thumb.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by guitarbilly74

View Post

That's not normal, I had my volume and gain around 6 and it sounded great, it does get bassier as you turn up, but not fuzzy or muddy. I'd check the mods and make sure nothing was affected when they were done.

The problem was already there before the mods and I hoped that it would get better with the depth mod. Any idea if that could be a broken component?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by digiadaamore

View Post

Has anyone run a 22h with a boost in front for real heavy metal tone? i cant find any examples of it being able to do this

I have used the following overdrive/distortion pedal/unit on my Jca22H..

1. Hughes and Kettner Cream Machine.. Boosted JCM800, I suggest one

of these of you can pick on up.. They're about 25 year old..

You can use it as a little 1 watt tube amp or as a distortion unit..

Kicks ass.. I got mine for 100 bucks.. You'll probably have to spend more..Boht

2. Catalinbread Super Charged Over Drive.. Sounds like an Orange type of gain

when on the crunch channel.. At's lots of low end, very awesome pedal and works

good with my 22H..

3. Big Muff: I have a Russian and a Metal Muff. Both sound awesome..

This may not be what you're looking for.. But if you're into a retro style of high-gain sound, I suggest these..

• Members

I am in with a jca100h... that stopped working yesterday !

no guitar sound from the overdrive channel, just an horrible buzz.

clean channel is still OK and the power section seems to work fine.

I have tried already to swap preamp tubes around but whitout results.

Anyone here have got the same problem ?

Any suggestion before I ship it back ?

ps: before the amp got broken, I had the impression that it wasn't sounding really good - at least compared to the videos on internet...

The clean sound was really beautiful but the overdrive was always too bassy and/or muddy (but I haven't got the chance yet to push the OD master beyond 2)...

• Members

So today I removed the board form the amp in order to apply the SLO mod.

I did find some very poorly done solder joints where I redid the obvious ones.

Going to check the results tomorrow and hopefully my problems with the overdrive are solved...

Anyone else already removed the board and did see the same?

The picture a blurry, but I hope you get the idea:

IMG_20120505_173515.jpg

IMG_20120505_173623.jpg

• Members

View Post

So today I removed the board form the amp in order to apply the SLO mod.

I did find some very poorly done solder joints where I redid the obvious ones.

Going to check the results tomorrow and hopefully my problems with the overdrive are solved...

Anyone else already removed the board and did see the same?

The picture a blurry, but I hope you get the idea:

IMG_20120505_173515.jpg

IMG_20120505_173623.jpg

mine weren't like that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

View Post

I got some problems with the tone of my JCA100H in the overdrive channel (added simple clean channel and depth mod).

Usually I keep the gain and the volume on around 3. But if I raise the volume just a little say to 3.5 the sound gets unpleasantly bassy, fuzzy and muddy.

I already changed all the tubes to JJ ECC83S and TAD 6L6WGC-STR and biased the power tubes properly.

Hi,

I have the same problem with my JCA100H.

I play a 7 and I am struggling to find tubes that give clarity and edge to the OD channel of this amp (but OMG the OMPFFF and the CHUNK on the low B string are just crazy)

JJ are middy sounding tubes son I don't recommend them in this amp...

Now I am going with a Sovtek 5751 in V1 (VERY nice cleans), EHX in V2, stock chinese in V3,V4 and EHX in V5.

Probably not best, the Sovtek is still too bassy and lack definitition when pushed very hard... I would love to try a NOS 5751 but they are hard to find and expensive...

• 3 weeks later...

Archived