Jet Setters!! Help me compile a list of all pedals that will work w/ JCA/Soldano loop

guitarbilly74

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...
  • Members

I found out that the EHX holy grail works fine in the loop of my JCA100h when playing the clean channel.
with the OD channel engaged, is hard to find a good setting, looks like the reverb is much less powerful and you need to raise the reverb level past 12:00
with the only result to loose signal dramatically.
but the pedal works beatifully in front of the amp and after an external distortion pedal

there must be a reason for that... anyone ?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by JB6464

View Post

MXR Carbon Copy analog delay works in my Soldano loop as well. It has a +5dbv input and up to +8dbv output signal path. That would put it right in line with +4db loop design Soldano uses.

Weird. I didn't get clipping with my CC, but it definitely through a blanket over the tone when the pedal was on, almost like twisting the treble knob halfway down. I just had the pedal engaged so often (low in the mix) that I never quite realized how dark it was.

• 4 months later...
  • Members

I have a Soldano Hotrod100+ and the Nano Holy Grail doesn't work in the loop. When I tried it with the reverb on but the level down there was a noticeable volume drop. On the clean channel it wasn't that nticeable but when i kicked in the dirt channel the reverb effect was lost unless you turned the level to max and then you got even more volume drop. The Timefactor and Goatkeeper V2 that I have though work great with no problems.

And for pedals that didn't work I tried a Small Stone (big box), OC2, and a George Dennis Mono Volume pedal. The volume pedal worked but it wouldn't completely kill the signal when the heel was down.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Gwimlock View Post
Weird. I didn't get clipping with my CC, but it definitely through a blanket over the tone when the pedal was on, almost like twisting the treble knob halfway down. I just had the pedal engaged so often (low in the mix) that I never quite realized how dark it was.
Put an 18v adaptor on it , it will open up the pedal a bit.
Made a big difference to me in my loop on the HR100+ and i called Dunlop/MXR and they said it was safe to do as well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Have just been playing around with the loop of a JCA5212RC. One problem I see that may be the cause of why so many effects pedals don't work that well, is that the effects return socket (FXR) is direct connected to the control grid of the valve. If the signal coming from the pedal is too large in the positive signal swing, it will cause the grid to conduct. Now, depending on the output section of the pedal in question, if it is capacitor-coupled; and with little or no series resistance in between; then it could simply be a case of good 'ol "blocking distortion"; were the coupling capacitor is charging up, but not discharging quick enough on the negative part of the cycle.
One solution would be to put in series a "grid-stopper" resistor on the FXR socket. Something in the order of 22k to 68k should do the trick.

I have just used a guitar plugged into TS9 pedal; then into the FXR socket with a 47k grid-stopper, thus: by-passing most of the pre-amp.
It sounded rather good; the TS9 is strong enough to drive the Pi into clipping; and subsequently driving the power-amp into distortion.
Giving the amp more of a classic 70's AC/DC Marshall type sound.

Cheers
--Boffo

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Boffo View Post
Have just been playing around with the loop of a JCA5212RC. One problem I see that may be the cause of why so many effects pedals don't work that well, is that the effects return socket (FXR) is direct connected to the control grid of the valve. If the signal coming from the pedal is too large in the positive signal swing, it will cause the grid to conduct.
You have this backwards. Pedals with a small signal (instrument level) won't work properly. Pedals with a large signal do.

A TS9 should not go through the loop of any amp though. Clean pedals only.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by guitarbilly74 View Post
I'm not sure. Take the Hardwire line for example, the Delay and Verb work, but the chorus does not.

If someone could please test a Nova Modulator through the loop, that would be great thumb.gif
Has anyone actually tried the Nova Modulator as yet?
I'm looking to get one, but not yet convinced it'll work. as It doesn't actually have a line input.
They claim it has a input level calibration.....I need more convincing before I hand over me hard earned $$.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Postal69 View Post
Has anyone actually tried the Nova Modulator as yet?
I'm looking to get one, but not yet convinced it'll work. as It doesn't actually have a line input.
They claim it has a input level calibration.....I need more convincing before I hand over me hard earned $$.
nothing yet man frown.gif best thing we can do is to keep bumping this thread to see if someone chimes in.

• Members
I'm not sure. Take the Hardwire line for example, the Delay and Verb work, but the chorus does not.

If someone could please test a Nova Modulator through the loop, that would be great thumb.gif
nothing yet man frown.gif best thing we can do is to keep bumping this thread to see if someone chimes in.
Damn. It's sounds a great pedal, but way to expensive down here (AUS) to buy on a chance that it might work.

• Members
You have this backwards. Pedals with a small signal (instrument level) won't work properly. Pedals with a large signal do.
Oh! I see. Then perhaps it may be the FX send that is the problem ?

A TS9 should not go through the loop of any amp though. Clean pedals only.
Yes, that is correct.
However, I was not using the loop; the TS9 was connected to the FX return socket only; guitar connected to TS9 as normal. The pre-amp was not being used.

I have come to the conclusion that the FX loop and the reverb circuit on the JCA5212RC are not very good. I now have by-passed both circuits completely; so that the basic pre-amp is connected to the phase inverter. This is now a whole new amplifier; it has really come alive, with the natural harmonics from the guitar able to go right through to the power-amp. Whereas before, the FX loop was killing them because of rectification.

• 3 months later...

Archived