Jet Setters!! Help me compile a list of all pedals that will work w/ JCA/Soldano loop

guitarbilly74

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by HungPhat View Post
really? what are the characteristics of "sicks tone big time"?
is this when the fx is on/off/all the time?
It sounded distant for lack of a better word, compared to the very "in your face" sound that I get without the Line Level Shifter in the loop. And it was regardless of whether the effect (eq pedal) was on or off.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by HungPhat View Post
is the jet city loop parallel or series? if it was parallel id dare say the "tone suck" could be caused due to phase cancellations when the pedal in the loop is OFF
i would be keen on knowing more info on the specs of the JCA fx loop
ie where is the actual placement of the fx loop in terms of the amps gain stage design?
It's a Series loop. I don't have the schematic in front of me, but I recall the effects loop being in a strange place, like between the third and fourth gain stages, as opposed to most that come after the entire preamp, right before the power section.

Paging GuitarBilly........

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by MetalHed View Post
It's a Series loop. I don't have the schematic in front of me, but I recall the effects loop being in a strange place, like between the third and fourth gain stages, as opposed to most that come after the entire preamp, right before the power section.

It's between the 4 preamp gain stages and the cathode follower driving the tonestack. Don't know why they put it before the tonestack and not after right before the PI. The SLO has the same setup, it's a Soldano thing I guess. idn_smilie.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by MetalHed View Post

Yes, it's in between the gain and the EQ (tonestack). It's a weird place for a loop but Mike says it's the best place to keep the tonal integrity of the amp. Since his amps sound awesome, I will agree with him smile.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by ChuckNorris1982 View Post
Does anyone know if the following work:

Line 6 echo park
Boss RV-5
Ehx stereo memory man with hazari

Quite interested in the 100 watt head but I use those pedals too much, so would like to know if anyone can help!
Echo Park and RV5 = no.

Not sure about the Ehx MM.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckNorris1982

View Post

This does not bode well for Jet City getting my money frown.gif

That's the only reason it's off my second amp list. I absolutely love my Line6 m13 and don't want limitations to what I can put in the loop in the future. Too bad these things sound really good and are CHEAP!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

To all those worried about the amp, why not get the loop modded? I've heard it's a really simple mod.

Also, who knows which reverbs will work? any of the EHX reverbs? Boss Reverb? (I doubt it). MXR?

I'm not looking at expensive reverbs really.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Tawlks View Post
To all those worried about the amp, why not get the loop modded? I've heard it's a really simple mod.

Also, who knows which reverbs will work? any of the EHX reverbs? Boss Reverb? (I doubt it). MXR?

I'm not looking at expensive reverbs really.
The mod fucks up the tone. Soldano designed his loop this way for a reason, it's really the best loop for his amp.

For inexpensive reverbs: EHX Nano Holy Grail Reverb or the Hardwire reverb.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by guitarbilly74 View Post
The mod fucks up the tone. Soldano designed his loop this way for a reason, it's really the best loop for his amp.

For inexpensive reverbs: EHX Nano Holy Grail Reverb or the Hardwire reverb.
The FX loop mod also dramatically lowers the overall volume of the amp as well as darkens up the tone

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by guitarbilly74

View Post

The Carbon Copy won't work. Not sure about the GFS delay.

Well... I am looking to add a delay and maybe I will be brave and try the GFS. It's only a $50 gamble and you saved me $150 passing on the MXR (thanks).

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by slakr84

View Post

Well... I am looking to add a delay and maybe I will be brave and try the GFS. It's only a $50 gamble and you saved me $150 passing on the MXR (thanks).

I am using the TC Nova Repeater, it's cheaper than the MXR ($129) and way more versatile. That would be my recommendation.

Archived