The Laney Posse! join up!!

StringBreaker

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by TimesOfGrace

Does anyone know if there is a knob you can put on the back of the AOR Series heads on the impedance selector, so that you don't have to use a screwdriver? That's can be really annoying sometimes.

Same thing for my GH50L ..ANNOYING.

• Members

Originally posted by Xanthomatose

What speakers does the AOR match well with?

I'm thinking of picking one up, would it be too bright with V30's?

What about the G12T-75's?

I'm running mine through G12T-75's right now and it has an overall really balanced sound to it. Not too bright, but not too dark either. The combination of the two has a nice smooth bottom end to it which is great for hard rock and metal tones. I also use a Boss GE-7 in front of the amp as a boost which sounds great. I've heard alot of people use them in the effects loop also to help further shape the tone of the amp. I just prefer mine in the front.

• Members

Originally posted by V-Type

GH 50L. The best one channel amp Ive ever owned. I love how a guitars volume control can change this amps tones so much.

Originally posted by Crusher

+1

Originally posted by freaksho

+2

i am a new Laney owner (just got my GH50L this monday) and haven't had too much chance to do a lot of experimenting yet but that's one of the first thing i noticed.

and i also love it's organic grittiness.

i'm new to single channel heads, so i'm really kinda flyin blind here. but from what i've seen so far, i expect great things from it - if my hearing doesn't go out first. damn it's loud!

(any general tips for a Laney nube?)

update:

so i have finally spent some time giving the thing a good work out and i'm really crazy about it! as i noticed before, it's amazing the way it varies gain with my guitar volume knob and pick attack while still giving a good full sound (not thin and wimpy).

but beyond that i started using the hi input (contrary to the manual, which suggested lo input for hot humbuckers). holy {censored}, this thing fookin screams! i did lower my pickups too, which i bet helped keep any mushiness at bay. anyway, the combination of fullness, dynamics, brightness and articulation is the sound i've been hunting for. indiviual strings are very distinct even at high gain levels. and the leads are very strong with good sustain w/o a boost pedal. is this because it's single channel?

in contrast, i was always a bit dissapointed with my lead sounds using my Orange RV50 (kinda thin, with little sustain), plus it is darker and less touch sensistive and dynamic. i found myself digging in really hard trying to get more liveliness during leads and two note riffs. i've heard some say that channel switchers struggle with good leads sounds so they require a boost pedal. i kinda doubt if this is true of all channel switchers but i sure noticed it with this one. well, all those problems are solved now.

it's just a little embarassing that i spent 4x as much on the Orange. sheez!

don't get me wrong, the Orange is great for what it does: dark thick full sounds, especially higher gain rhythm. it's an overall more refined sound i'd say. i guess i just needed something brighter and more gritty. (you may be seeing an RV50 spam thread in a month or two.)biggrin.gif

beez

• Members

Originally posted by acev

Damn it, I still cant decide which tubes to put it, 6l6 or el34 ! I just know stock sovtek 6l6 pretty much suck. Will I loose a lot of low end if I put el34L or kt 77 in it ?

No you won't lose the low in especially when you use the KT77. Great power tubes! Deep bold low end. No mud. Mids aren't as overly crunchy as the EL34l and the highs are sweet. Very lively tube. I don't care much for the EL34L I do like the SED El34 not svetlana ..Wing C (formerly Svetlana) Those sound great!

• Members

I enjoy the 6l6's in my gh50l. It does sound very good w/ EL34's, it's just I already have an amp that sounds like that, and I wanted an amp that had a little more tightness and headroom. Will you loose some bass if you use el34's?...a little obviously. But in all fairness a lot of bass (or lack of it) comes from materials such as the speakers and cabinet. Anyone who says a regular angled marshall cab w/ vintage 30's and an orange cab w/ v30's sounds the same...is {censored}ing high.

On another topic....my gh50l only has the basket weave w/ the logo on the front of the amp...there's no solid peice of wood on the front of the amp "(like say a marshall)...does anyone else's Laney have that?

That's my #1 gripe about the amp and it not being built as solid.

it bothers me.

• Members
Originally posted by freaksho

update:

so i have finally spent some time giving the thing a good work out and i'm really crazy about it! as i noticed before, it's amazing the way it varies gain with my guitar volume knob and pick attack while still giving a good full sound (not thin and wimpy).

but beyond that i started using the hi input (contrary to the manual, which suggested lo input for hot humbuckers). holy {censored}, this thing fookin screams! i did lower my pickups too, which i bet helped keep any mushiness at bay. anyway, the combination of fullness, dynamics, brightness and articulation is the sound i've been hunting for. indiviual strings are very distinct even at high gain levels. and the leads are very strong with good sustain w/o a boost pedal. is this because it's single channel?

in contrast, i was always a bit dissapointed with my lead sounds using my Orange RV50 (kinda thin, with little sustain), plus it is darker and less touch sensistive and dynamic. i found myself digging in really hard trying to get more liveliness during leads and two note riffs. i've heard some say that channel switchers struggle with good leads sounds so they require a boost pedal. i kinda doubt if this is true of
all
channel switchers but i sure noticed it with this one. well, all those problems are solved now.

it's just a little embarassing that i spent 4x as much on the Orange. sheez!

don't get me wrong, the Orange is
great
for what it does: dark thick full sounds, especially higher gain rhythm. it's an overall more
refined
sound i'd say. i guess i just needed something brighter and more gritty. (you may be seeing an RV50 spam thread in a month or two.)
:D

beez

The Orange you have to crank the gain to get the sustain but it may be too much the way they have it set up. I agree it is darker and less touch sensitive. The Laney's are very touch sensitive pretty more responsive. Although I don't really play leads. But I agree with what you said about the comparison. The Orange is thick, full sounding and overall more refined. The laney is more raw and edgy with a no apology sound...lol I definitely have my damp switch to low for the orange the high makes it sound too unlively IMO.

• Members

Originally posted by thesinner66

I enjoy the 6l6's in my gh50l. It does sound very good w/ EL34's, it's just I already have an amp that sounds like that, and I wanted an amp that had a little more tightness and headroom. Will you loose some bass if you use el34's?...a little obviously. But in all fairness a lot of bass (or lack of it) comes from materials such as the speakers and cabinet. Anyone who says a regular angled marshall cab w/ vintage 30's and an orange cab w/ v30's sounds the same...is {censored}ing high.

On another topic....my gh50l only has the basket weave w/ the logo on the front of the amp...there's no solid peice of wood on the front of the amp "(like say a marshall)...does anyone else's Laney have that?

it bothers me.

I agree that they don't use high quality parts like input jacks for the front and back. Also their tube shields are kinda thin. Overall it doesn't seem to be built that well but, I haven't had any problems with my VH100R at all.

• Members

Originally posted by bass_n_drums

I agree that they don't use high quality parts like input jacks for the front and back. Also their tube shields are kinda thin. Overall it doesn't seem to be built that well but, I haven't had any problems with my VH100R at all.

I have no idea what your're talking. My vh100r has only top notch hardware, and the input/output jacks are really heavy duty....

• Members
Originally posted by thesinner66

it bothers me.

there's wood in the front allright. Yours must have been messed up by someone.

The front panel has a wood panel just like a marshall where the logo is screwed .:thu:

• Members
Originally posted by VH100R

there's wood in the front allright. Yours must have been messed up by someone.

The front panel has a wood panel just like a marshall where the logo is screwed .
:thu:

I think mine is an early one too...Looks Like I'll just have to put one in myself, shouldn't be too hard!

• Members
Originally posted by VH100R

I have no idea what your're talking. My vh100r has only top notch hardware, and the input/output jacks are really heavy duty....
[/quote

If the input jack is made out of plastic..chances are??? It isn't as heavy duty as metal like other amp makers used. Also If you get an opportunity to check out...not sure of the model but i have a 97 LH50R. The tube shield are very sturdy metal and thick. It doesn't bend like the VH100r does. Quality has been compromised. But from my experienced. It's still very reliable.

Archived