The Laney Posse! join up!!

StringBreaker

• Members

"They don't carry a prestige name or any fancy marketing strategy like Krank and others. They just quietly let their amps do the talking! And that's what really shows you the confidence they have in their products."

True-theyve mostly sold themselves on word of mouth,and by reputation from those in the know.BUT- by the same token,I think it has hurt them as well. Even though they basically copied and improved upon early marshalls (plexi/jmp/jcm 800s) early on,(I think they left Marshall in the dust decades ago.),they could have taken over the biz if they had spent a bit more on promoting and getting thier products into more shops. I remember the years I spent trying to find my Laney. I searched the music shops big and small in every town I happened to be in (was travelling a LOT) -and still do. Ive seen a Laney head in exactly ONE store in the U.S. ever. I own it now. (bought used in 1987).

I kid you not-I used to go into Sam Ash and Manny's and the handfull of other "big" stores years back and ask if they had any Laneys' and would be met with a blank stare and a "La-what?" from the staff. My reply would be "umm.. Tony Iommi ring a bell?" ...more blank stares....."umm BLACK SABBATH-?".........more blank stares...."Tube,British Amplifier, really really loud? lots of balls?....hello, are you hearing me?..."

"well,sir we just got this old Fender Twin Reverb in.... Jimmy Page used them for his work on the Deep Purple albums........"

{censored}ING CLUELESS!

They need to get more of them into more stores,and get more people exposed to them...Or maybe not-then the prices might go through the roof ruining our bargain secrets.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

"They don't carry a prestige name or any fancy marketing strategy like Krank and others. They just quietly let their amps do the talking! And that's what really shows you the confidence they have in their products."

True-theyve mostly sold themselves on word of mouth,and by reputation from those in the know.BUT- by the same token,I think it has hurt them as well. Even though they basically copied and improved upon early marshalls (plexi/jmp/jcm 800s) early on,(I think they left Marshall in the dust decades ago.),they could have taken over the biz if they had spent a bit more on promoting and getting thier products into more shops. I remember the years I spent trying to find my Laney. I searched the music shops big and small in every town I happened to be in (was travelling a LOT) -and still do. Ive seen a Laney head in exactly ONE store in the U.S. ever. I own it now. (bought used in 1987).

I kid you not-I used to go into Sam Ash and Manny's and the handfull of other "big" stores years back and ask if they had any Laneys' and would be met with a blank stare and a "La-what?" from the staff. My reply would be "umm.. Tony Iommi ring a bell?" ...more blank stares....."umm BLACK SABBATH-?".........more blank stares...."Tube,British Amplifier, really really loud? lots of balls?....hello, are you hearing me?..."

"well,sir we just got this old Fender Twin Reverb in.... Jimmy Page used them for his work on the Deep Purple albums........"

{censored}ING CLUELESS!

They need to get more of them into more stores,and get more people exposed to them...Or maybe not-then the prices might go through the roof ruining our bargain secrets.

• Members

And for the record-for our younger inductees into the Laney Legions--we didnt have an internet,much less an Ebay in which to search for our gear back then. You had to literally hike into the stores (barefoot,uphill both ways through 8ft of snow)and physically check to see if there were any around.

• Members

And for the record-for our younger inductees into the Laney Legions--we didnt have an internet,much less an Ebay in which to search for our gear back then. You had to literally hike into the stores (barefoot,uphill both ways through 8ft of snow)and physically check to see if there were any around.

• Members

Originally posted by jmartin

{censored}ING CLUELESS!

i think they are pretty rare also. People out there know about them, but they just dont get as much attention as the others. But on the contrary, there is a vh100R, and one of those protube 100 watt heads sitting at my local sam ash biggrin.gif

• Members

{censored}ING CLUELESS!

i think they are pretty rare also. People out there know about them, but they just dont get as much attention as the others. But on the contrary, there is a vh100R, and one of those protube 100 watt heads sitting at my local sam ash biggrin.gif

• Members

Spoken like a true veteran.....lol

But yes I agree with what you mention. They have hurt themselves and they were with Musicians friend for a month or so and they got takened out of the Marketing strategy for some unknown reason...must be marketing problems they had with MF. But, as of now word of mouth is the best thing going for them unless they decide to push the envelope in spending a few extra bucks to get more of their products out!

• Members

Spoken like a true veteran.....lol

But yes I agree with what you mention. They have hurt themselves and they were with Musicians friend for a month or so and they got takened out of the Marketing strategy for some unknown reason...must be marketing problems they had with MF. But, as of now word of mouth is the best thing going for them unless they decide to push the envelope in spending a few extra bucks to get more of their products out!

• Members

Originally posted by guitarist17

I completely agree with you dude. I owned an uberschall, and a powerball, and I'm on my second 5150. the laney just rocks more to me(along with the 5150). Kinda crazy,maybe, but its just more organic and natural sounding than the powerball, which I just sold. very raw and aggresive, with an awesome clean channel. and thank you very much for the reccomendation on tubes. I LOVE the SED tubes that are in my 5150, they kicks mucho ass. I guess I'll give those a try. biggrin.gif

Chris

Yes they do have a more natural organic tone than the others. Well alot of the modern amps have a very compressed sound which robs some of the natural tone of the amp. Check those tubes out and I think you won't be disappointed. I tried the JJ and chinese and it didn't do it for me. Also if you have V30 or CL80..those speakers sound great with the VH100R or the Valve series.

• Members

Originally posted by guitarist17

I completely agree with you dude. I owned an uberschall, and a powerball, and I'm on my second 5150. the laney just rocks more to me(along with the 5150). Kinda crazy,maybe, but its just more organic and natural sounding than the powerball, which I just sold. very raw and aggresive, with an awesome clean channel. and thank you very much for the reccomendation on tubes. I LOVE the SED tubes that are in my 5150, they kicks mucho ass. I guess I'll give those a try. biggrin.gif

Chris

Yes they do have a more natural organic tone than the others. Well alot of the modern amps have a very compressed sound which robs some of the natural tone of the amp. Check those tubes out and I think you won't be disappointed. I tried the JJ and chinese and it didn't do it for me. Also if you have V30 or CL80..those speakers sound great with the VH100R or the Valve series.

• Members

As I once said. If Laney had a diamond plate front panel things would be ALOT different.biggrin.gif

I still love when some hears my rig and then after the show comes and asks me what amp I am using because they never heard a live distortion like that (I had the logo taken out and have a snake skin front panel just for kicks)thumb.gif

I call it the VH100R "KING KOBRA"

• Members

As I once said. If Laney had a diamond plate front panel things would be ALOT different.biggrin.gif

I still love when some hears my rig and then after the show comes and asks me what amp I am using because they never heard a live distortion like that (I had the logo taken out and have a snake skin front panel just for kicks)thumb.gif

I call it the VH100R "KING KOBRA"

• Members

this is from Roger Hickman for Laney!

just got this email from him...you guys may want to hit him up or laney to let them know about having a forum.

"Hi there,

Thanks for your email.

We have thought about creating a forum in the past, but decided against

it for a number of reasons.

I shall pass your comments along to the powers that be....

Thanks,

**So that I can deal with your email as quickly as possible please

include all text from previous email when replying**

Roger Hickman

Headstock sales / Laney Technical Support "

roger@laney.co.uk

"you should have an amp discussion forum here for us Laney owners and

Enthusiast to talk more about your great amps!

It will not only help your sales but also help spread the word.

Recently

I feel that alot of amp owners from Harmony-central are getting tired

of

buying and owning overhyped amps like the Engl Powerball for instance

and are coming to realize what a great amp co Laney really is! Not

much

can be discussed about them because little is known and available to

the

public. Except word of mouth like people like me passing it on! Please

consider it! It will greatly boister the fine Reputation that Laney has

earned and deserving ranking up with the big name brands like your

nemesis Marshall!

Sincerely,

Brian"

• Members

this is from Roger Hickman for Laney!

just got this email from him...you guys may want to hit him up or laney to let them know about having a forum.

"Hi there,

Thanks for your email.

We have thought about creating a forum in the past, but decided against

it for a number of reasons.

I shall pass your comments along to the powers that be....

Thanks,

**So that I can deal with your email as quickly as possible please

include all text from previous email when replying**

Roger Hickman

Headstock sales / Laney Technical Support "

roger@laney.co.uk

"you should have an amp discussion forum here for us Laney owners and

Enthusiast to talk more about your great amps!

It will not only help your sales but also help spread the word.

Recently

I feel that alot of amp owners from Harmony-central are getting tired

of

buying and owning overhyped amps like the Engl Powerball for instance

and are coming to realize what a great amp co Laney really is! Not

much

can be discussed about them because little is known and available to

the

public. Except word of mouth like people like me passing it on! Please

consider it! It will greatly boister the fine Reputation that Laney has

earned and deserving ranking up with the big name brands like your

nemesis Marshall!

Sincerely,

Brian"

• Members

Originally posted by V-Type

GH 50L. The best one channel amp Ive ever owned. I love how a guitars volume control can change this amps tones so much.

Originally posted by Crusher

+1

+2

i am a new Laney owner (just got my GH50L this monday) and haven't had too much chance to do a lot of experimenting yet but that's one of the first thing i noticed.

and i also love it's organic grittiness.

i'm new to single channel heads, so i'm really kinda flyin blind here. but from what i've seen so far, i expect great things from it - if my hearing doesn't go out first. damn it's loud!

(any general tips for a Laney nube?)

Archived