Mesa F-series Lounge. Come on in and share your secrets.

Dann'sTheMan

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by Joeytpg

View Post

hey mikeyen, thanks for the reply..... I don't have a Cab. My F-50 is a Combo.

Can i still run the XTL through the F-50 as a cab? (using only the Combo speaker?

Yep - a combo is nothing more than a cab with the amp attached to it, as opposed to separately like a head.

Mike

• Members

View Post

Ok guys, I need some tips on getting the F-50 to work with a POD XT LIVE I'll be buying in the next few day.

I wanna do several stuff, and I need a few tips on HOW TO achieve it.

1- How to use the POD XT LIVE amps with the f-50 running only as a "cab".

What I want is to be able to run the amps without the F-50 preamp. Can this be done? or do I need to run it through the Clean Channel?

2- How to use the POD effects with my F-50?

3- How to make my 2 channel F-50 into a 3 channel ???

thanks a lot buddies.

1) You need a dummy cable into the FX Send jack to disconnect the preamp. A cable you're not using will work perfectly fine. Simply insert it into the FX Send jack and nothing else (The cable will dangle). You could also just buy a 1/4" plug. As Mike already said, to use the F-50 as a power amp, just plug the output of the PODxt Live set for line level into the FX Return of the F-50. The FX loop should be set to maximum mix. Turn off all the cab/mic/air sims because you'll be using a real guitar speaker.

2) To use the PODxt Live is an FX processor, plug the FX send into the XTL's input, and the XTL's output set for line level plugs into the F-50's FX Return. FX mix is really your call, but I prefer to run it at max mix. You may also like to engage the pad on the XTL's input in case the F-50's send level it too hot. You need to turn off the amp, cab and mic sims to utilize the FX in the XTL properly.

To use the PODxt Live as a pedal board to drive the front of your amp, do this: guitar>XTL IN>XTL OUT>F-50. This way you get all the stomp boxes that the XTL offers and they will drive the F-50 nicely. I would explore the Uni-Vibe, flanger, phaser and some other interesting mod effects out front in addition to the normal drive effects.

3) The XTL was not my first choice for this particular task, but it can be done. Basically, you need to set an FX patch for Contour on the XTL for -3 dB overall level compared to regular channel 2. So, if channel 2 is set in patch 1 for an output level of -4 dB. Patch 2 in contour should be set for an output level of -4-3 = -7 dB. The reason of the 3 dB difference is that contour adds roughly 3 dB of level to the output of the amp, so you're just making that up. You can also set the pedal's minimum volume for 50% (-3 dB) and roll it back whenever you switch to contour.

Good Luck!

• Members

OH {censored}..... I just got my new tubes from TubeAmDoctor.....i ordered the ones Tommi recommended me......

All I have to say is OH {censored}..... the sound is SOO sweet..... tommi dude, my F-50 came alive! SPECIALLY the clean channel..... I noticed the improvement in the OD channel, but man, the most difference is in the clean channel. redface.gif I'll post a clip soon.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by hal9000

View Post

1) You need a dummy cable into the FX Send jack to disconnect the preamp.

You do? I've been running straight into the FX Return from the GT-8, and it's worked fine. I'll have to see what a dummy cable in the FX Send does when I get home tonight...

Mike

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyen

View Post

You do? I've been running straight into the FX Return from the GT-8, and it's worked fine. I'll have to see what a dummy cable in the FX Send does when I get home tonight...

Mike

You don't have to put the cable in, but you'll get a lot better frequency response especially in the high end. When I first used my XTL without the dummy cable I was disappointed because it sounded like a blanket was over the speakers. When I put in the dummy cable, all the high end came back.

• Members

View Post

Hey Neil thanks a lot bud!

by the way.. do you have the metal pack ? would you mind posting a clip of the Herbert model ?? smile.gif

You're welcome. I don't have the XTL anymore. I use a Vox Tonelab instead which I prefer. I do have a Toneport UX-2 which could be equipped with the model you're talking about, but I use that for recording either through the mic or line ports.

• Members

does anyone have experience with the ts9 and the digitech bad monkey? is the bad monkey digitech's answer to the ts9? How do they compare. I can get a bad monkey for way way cheaper than a ts9 or 808, but what do you think? I love the tone of the f50, and I want to maximize its sound. I've seen a lot of people rave about the bad monkey here, but I'm not so sure of digitech's sound coloration. I have the digitech echo pedal and have a hard time getting as good of sound as my marshall echohead.

Guest Anonymous

Hello my fellow F series brothers! I just purchased an F-50 series head on ebay! I should be getting it Monday. This could almost be considered a repost, because I posted about this in the amp section today, but I would love advice from fellow F Series users! I'm so glad I was directed to this thread.

I have some questions. The head comes with 6L6 Groove tubes (though original Mesa preamp tubes.) How do these differ from Mesa tubes? What sort of tones will I be getting out of these tubes? Would you guys recommend me getting Mesa tubes for either use or backup and to hear the original sounds? Any other tubes that are recommended for varying tones?

I do not have a cab yet. What cab do you guys recommend for this head? I was thinking Mesa Boogie brand, but others recommend Avatar. I was wanting a 2 x 12 cabinet. Any further or more specific recommendations (Mesa brand and others welcome.)

Here's another question that appeared in the other thread. I will not have a cab for a few months!! I know this sucks! My fiance would freak out if I spent more money right now than I already have! I was thinking about temporarily using headphones. In the auction it states Record / Headphone out. Is there a speaker mute/silencing feature to protect the amplifier when using headphones and no speakers? I want to use headphones until I get a cab, however I do not want to risk damaging my F-50!

Another question. I also have a Peavy 12' monitor speaker. I do not know the Ohm/watt rating yet, I will look when I get home later. Could I use this temporarily if the ratings check out okay? I know I won't get true tonage out of this speaker, but mainly so I can play. I also have a Peavy PA system, but that is at my fathers house and I don't feel like getting it. However if I brought it over, could I run it through a 12'' Speaker/horn PA speaker?

Also when I do get a cab, does a THD hotplate work well with this amp? I want to get sweet tones at bedroom levels for practicing.

Please, whatever is safest for my amp, let me know. If anything sounds risky, let me know. The last thing I want is burnt fuses, circuits, etc.

A little background before I end my post. I play a 1976 Custom Les Paul with fretless wonder. I have been playing 7 years. I am not in a band, but a few friends of mine are thinking of the idea. I play pretty much original chord progression and free improvisation solos. I do know other band's songs, like Pink Floyd, some Zeppelin, some metallica, some country, a whole spectrum. I'm mainly improv myself though and create original stuff. I also have a Boss GT-8 effects processor.

Thanks for the questions, I'm sure that I will have more later!!

• Members

View Post

OH {censored}..... I just got my new tubes from TubeAmDoctor.....i ordered the ones Tommi recommended me......

All I have to say is OH {censored}..... the sound is SOO sweet..... tommi dude, my F-50 came alive! SPECIALLY the clean channel..... I noticed the improvement in the OD channel, but man, the most difference is in the clean channel. redface.gif I'll post a clip soon.

Good to hear that they are kicking!

I actually ordered new set for myself... I'll change them in for the recording sessions in January.

• Members

yeah dude...it's amazing.... If you could have seen my face when i turned on the amp after replacing the tubes, i was :o

awesome choice in tubes.

I can't wait so hear my new guitars with this amps/tubes (just got an Edwards Goldtop with P90s of course, and a John Mayer Sig Strat!)

hihihi nice xmass gift I got! biggrin.gif (actually my mom bought me one and i bought the other.... hihi my mom rules, specially since I'm 26 y/o and my mom STILL gives me KICK ASS Bday/xmass presents! :p

• Members

Honestly I haven't looked into the Keeley mod. I was pretty impressed with Analogman and the reviews I saw here regarding his mods. I think it was like $45 for the basic TS9--->808 mod and you can add on other options at your heart's content. I was also impressed with the turnaround...1 to 2 days in most cases.

How do you like your MXR 10-band Mudbuddy?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Nexus555

View Post

Hello my fellow F series brothers! I just purchased an F-50 series head on ebay!

Congratulations! I'd say that you made a wise decision.

View Post

I do not have a cab yet. What cab do you guys recommend for this head? I was thinking Mesa Boogie brand, but others recommend Avatar. I was wanting a 2 x 12 cabinet. Any further or more specific recommendations (Mesa brand and others welcome.)

I have the F-100 combo, and it has V-30s in it. I think that these sound good, but I'd prefer something less efficient and present. The F-series (and Mesa gear in general) is stupidly powerful, so you simply don't need speakers with 100db efficiencies. I really like it through my Carvin 4x12 cabinet (with Carvin British-Series speakers...I believe that they're Greenback copies)

View Post

Here's another question that appeared in the other thread. I will not have a cab for a few months!! I know this sucks! My fiance would freak out if I spent more money right now than I already have! I was thinking about temporarily using headphones. In the auction it states Record / Headphone out. Is there a speaker mute/silencing feature to protect the amplifier when using headphones and no speakers? I want to use headphones until I get a cab, however I do not want to risk damaging my F-50!

There is in fact a mute switch, that allows silent playing/recording, without risk to the amplifier.

View Post

Another question. I also have a Peavy 12' monitor speaker. I do not know the Ohm/watt rating yet, I will look when I get home later. Could I use this temporarily if the ratings check out okay? I know I won't get true tonage out of this speaker, but mainly so I can play. I also have a Peavy PA system, but that is at my fathers house and I don't feel like getting it. However if I brought it over, could I run it through a 12'' Speaker/horn PA speaker?

You'll be fine, as long as you know the impedance of the speaker. A horn doesn't figure into impedance calcs, so running into a PA speaker of the proper impedance will feel, to the amp, like running into a regular guitar cab. Mesas are notoriously robust amps, so even mismatching impedance isn't a big deal, but try to get it close (ex.: running a 16-ohm speaker into the 8-ohm output won't hurt anything)

View Post

Also when I do get a cab, does a THD hotplate work well with this amp? I want to get sweet tones at bedroom levels for practicing.

I don't think that a Hotplate is what you need. The F-series already sounds pretty good quiet, and a Hotplate isn't really designed for bedroom levels. They're most useful (and sound the best) when used to take the edge (8-12 db) off of the full-scale assault of a fully-cranked tube amp (think managing gig volume levels).

View Post

Thanks for the questions, I'm sure that I will have more later!!

You've come to the right place.

• Members

Hey guys I just found out my BOSS Distortion Pedal (DS1) has the input jack kind of {censored}ed.... so, I could get it fixed but honestly, I've been thinking about adding a new OD pedal to my arsenal.

I like the Fulltone Fulldrive II pedal, but there's the TS9 and the 808, or a TS9 with the 808 mod...... I've searched and the Fulltone is around 200 bucks.... :S There's the Boss Blues Drive, but I don't know if it's good.

What am I looking for in this pedal??..... well I want that blues dirty overdriven tone....

So which one would you recommend that'll play well with the F-50?

• Members

Hey all!

The name is ED.

I own a Mesa/Boogie F-100 head.

I guess this makes me a part of the crew?

I play hardcore music/metal. This amp cranks it.

I'm currently using a Marshall 4x12 cab 100watts 8ohm Not sure of the speakers.

It sounds great. It's just not doing it for me. What affordable yet proffesional cabs do you guys recommend?

Also this thing has got the most awkward footswitch set up.

What do you guys recommend. I'm thinking about taking the little holder out of the back. and putting the footswitch on my pedalboard.

lovED

• Members

I love my mxr 10 band... I have the mids scooped to try to get that old paf sound out of my 490/498s.

I've also been thinking of keeleys moded boss blues driver... it sounds so cool. I was going to get the blues driver, then I got this amp, and I've been happy with most of the sound I can get with just the amp. I go back and forth, no pedals, more pedals, no pedals, ah maybe I'll get myself the modded blues driver and the ts9 to 808 mod for myself for christmas.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by robwl

View Post

It's not "that" heavy. I use one of those luggage carrier cart to transport it long distances and just lift it on and off from there. I also like to avoid drilling holes.

Yeah. I'm starting to think that's the best answer.

I think the casters the store sold me were for a 4x12 or something big like that.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by lovED

View Post

Hey all!

The name is ED.

I own a Mesa/Boogie F-100 head.

I guess this makes me a part of the crew?

I play hardcore music/metal. This amp cranks it.

I'm currently using a Marshall 4x12 cab 100watts 8ohm Not sure of the speakers.

It sounds great. It's just not doing it for me. What affordable yet proffesional cabs do you guys recommend?

Also this thing has got the most awkward footswitch set up.

What do you guys recommend. I'm thinking about taking the little holder out of the back. and putting the footswitch on my pedalboard.

lovED

Welcome aboard!

For metal tones I'd say that anything with vintage30's goes (as long as the box isn't made of "paper"). Good and confirmed manufacturers are Mesa, Hughes&Kettner, Orange and Avatar (really nice pricepoint). Also, Marshall have pretty good vintage30-cabs.

I'm using my midi pedal and G-major to change the channels on the amp... I don't have a good image of the original footswitch but your idea sounds pretty convincing smile.gif

Archived