Mesa F-series Lounge. Come on in and share your secrets.

Dann'sTheMan

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by Joeytpg

View Post

Hey Neil, how could I get me one of those cool rig pictures design like you got and tommi/andy ?

I'd have to design it for you. You can see some of my other work here: www.64graphics.com/portfolio.html Unfortunately, I don't have any time right now with all of my graphic design work, but when I get a little bit less busy, I'll send you a PM.

Nice work on the two clips! I guess the XTL/F-50 rig is working for you then. smile.gif

• Members

thanks a lot guys....

Neil: no prob. man, you let me know smile.gif

Tommi, thanks a lot.....the thing is i miced the amp...and it's going through my Metri Halo......the other clips are made with the crappy computer build in mic.

loveD....thanks a lot man! I LOVE white guitars.......the only thing I'm not FEELING yet, is the green Pickguard.....I'll leave it on for a couple of months more, than I'm getting a white pickguard, biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Si.

View Post

Joey,

Loving that Metallica sound on the Video clip.. can you post your setup and settings?

damn man.... I mess A LOT with the setting to get that sounds...even it STILL sounds weird through the mic (sounds very good in the room tho)

I'll post the EQ settings latter on smile.gif

• Members

I've never been a fan of white guitars. I've got a super dark blue/ purple 89 Fender American. I've played a few white guitars....they just arent very suiting. Maybe a nice natural guitar.

PS. Also into finding out about the settings for the Metallica sounds......(big fan).

lovED

• Members

View Post

Made another video yesterday....forgot to post it here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0X2EChBKlCk

I never been a fan of your tone, I must say, but this to me is the BEST clean tone I ever heard from a F-Series and probably the best clean I ever herad from a Les Paul. I don't know if this is because of the P'90's, or the combo Guitra+Amp, but that one, to me, is the best clean. Period!

Never liked your strat with the emg's tone, and I must confess that I never expected to tell you this, but I got to admit it.

Did you used the same setings that you used with the J.M. Strat?

And by the way, what seting did you use?

Congratulations, man!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by pedrozepelim

View Post

I never been a fan of your tone, I must say, but this to me is the BEST clean tone I ever heard from a F-Series and probably the best clean I ever herad from a Les Paul. I don't know if this is because of the P'90's, or the combo Guitra+Amp, but that one, to me, is the best clean. Period!

Never liked your strat with the emg's tone, and I must confess that I never expected to tell you this, but I got to admit it.

Did you used the same setings that you used with the J.M. Strat?

And by the way, what seting did you use?

Congratulations, man!

Sup bud, no problem man... I appreciate the honesty really.

The thing is, the search for tone is such a bitch because EVERY little thing can affect tone, pickups, pickups high, amp, room, recording equipment, own's sonar capabilities, etc.

In my past videos there were a lot of things that were not "great" regarding tone:

1) getting to know the amp (I've had this amp for a bit more than a year now, and you get to know the amp a bit more

2) Pickups (my blue strat has an eMG setup, which honestly to me sound pretty good, given the fact they're EMGs, which we know are better known for rock/metal style) I tried raising the single coils a little bit and that opened up the sound a bit more I guess. But EMGs are not for everyone really

3)Recording (this is a big one here....ALL my past videos were recorded with the crappy built in mic my computer has. only the John Mayer strat/hard rock f-50 new clip/POD XTL/Edwards videos are miced. And I believe there's a notable dif. in sound.

I'll make a few more vids, so stay tune.

anyways I really appreciate the honesty and all.... smile.gif

• Members

View Post

Sup bud, no problem man... I appreciate the honesty really.

The thing is, the search for tone is such a bitch because EVERY little thing can affect tone, pickups, pickups high, amp, room, recording equipment, own's sonar capabilities, etc.

In my past videos there were a lot of things that were not "great" regarding tone:

1) getting to know the amp (I've had this amp for a bit more than a year now, and you get to know the amp a bit more

2) Pickups (my blue strat has an eMG setup, which honestly to me sound pretty good, given the fact they're EMGs, which we know are better known for rock/metal style) I tried raising the single coils a little bit and that opened up the sound a bit more I guess. But EMGs are not for everyone really

3)Recording (this is a big one here....ALL my past videos were recorded with the crappy built in mic my computer has. only the John Mayer strat/hard rock f-50 new clip/POD XTL/Edwards videos are miced. And I believe there's a notable dif. in sound.

I'll make a few more vids, so stay tune.

anyways I really appreciate the honesty and all.... smile.gif

You didn't told us what settings you were using. Is it a secret? smile.gif

• Members

Hey guys -

I'm new here, but a long time player and I find it interesting that none of the senior members have jumped in here to mention the massive way that these pods color the tone of a tube amp.

In fact in my experience while I've found they are a great tool for recording and practicing at home at reasonable volumes, when you take a pod out live the digital artifacts make tube amps thin and harder to here at reasonable volumes w/o a ton of high end and a mess of digital artifacts that end up lost in a room the way a tube doesn't - in couple of words they kill the original tone of tubes....

I had originally tried gigging my F-30 this way and was coming to the conclusion that I was going to have to sell the amp as one of those that sounded good at home but couldn't hang live. But after learning about the hal9000 effects loop attenuator and ditching the pod I realized I had had no idea what this great little amp really sounded like.

Coming from a guy who's been down that road, I can appreciate getting a great tone through a pod with say, for instance, that Gold Les Paul with the sweet p-90's tone you mentioned, but in reality what you are hearing is not the tone of the amp or even the guitar to a large degree, but what the one's and zero's are doing to the guitar and amp.

Perhaps this all goes with out saying on a tube amp forum, but I thought it funny after recently weaning a friend (who couldn't figure out why his amp sounded so good at home but not at gigs) off his pod to find this thread discussing the tone - of a pod.......

Cheers gang!

Happy New Years

• Members

I was playing today with my Edwards Goldtop, and messed with some new settings on my F-50 and MAN!....THAT'S how a GOOD ROCK sound is supposed to sound!

No post EQ, no boost, NOTHING........just some reverb. only ONE rythm guitar and the lead. No overdub, no double layer.

Recording chain:

Edwards Goldtop > Mesa F-50 > SM57 > Metric Halo > Macbook > Logic Express 8

Drums: EZdrummer (normal, no DFH)

It's the first song, the one with the Goldtop picture

http://soundclick.com/joeytpg

• Members

Pedrozepelim:

I'll post the setting when I get back from xmass vacation (on the 3rd). Are you talking about the Metallica clip made with the POD? or the F-50 tones? (the goldtop video?)

lenniepickit:

The only video i'm using the POD XTL is the one with the blue strat (and I'm wearing a Red/black tshirt) The Goldtop Vid is the F-50 all the way baby! biggrin.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by lenniepickit

View Post

Hey guys -

I'm new here, but a long time player and I find it interesting that none of the senior members have jumped in here to mention the massive way that these pods color the tone of a tube amp.

In fact in my experience while I've found they are a great tool for recording and practicing at home at reasonable volumes, when you take a pod out live the digital artifacts make tube amps thin and harder to here at reasonable volumes w/o a ton of high end and a mess of digital artifacts that end up lost in a room the way a tube doesn't - in couple of words they kill the original tone of tubes....

I had originally tried gigging my F-30 this way and was coming to the conclusion that I was going to have to sell the amp as one of those that sounded good at home but couldn't hang live. But after learning about the hal9000 effects loop attenuator and ditching the pod I realized I had had no idea what this great little amp really sounded like.

Coming from a guy who's been down that road, I can appreciate getting a great tone through a pod with say, for instance, that Gold Les Paul with the sweet p-90's tone you mentioned, but in reality what you are hearing is not the tone of the amp or even the guitar to a large degree, but what the one's and zero's are doing to the guitar and amp.

Perhaps this all goes with out saying on a tube amp forum, but I thought it funny after recently weaning a friend (who couldn't figure out why his amp sounded so good at home but not at gigs) off his pod to find this thread discussing the tone - of a pod.......

Cheers gang!

Happy New Years

I have recently come to the same conclusion, with my Tonelab SE. I recently took it to a jam session and put it through my F-30 loop (with the dummy plug in the amp FX send). Using only the F-30 as a power amp at a substantially higher volume than what I practice with, I was suprised at how bad my tones sounded. Granted I haven't taken the time to re-tweak my tones for these volumes, but nothing beats the sound of a couple of good pedals straight into my F-30. I have found that if I use it in the loop for mod., delay, and reverb effects, it sounds incredible. I wonder if a Pod could sound as good.

• Members

Hey Brothers,

I hope you're all having a wonderful festive season. My festive season got a whole lot better at the top end of this week (Dec 24) when I decided to pull the trigger on a particularly sweet E.J. Strat. tongue.gif

As I touched on earlier, there are some pretty keenly priced E.J. Strats here in Japan, and I had pretty much made up my mind that I would have to pick one up. All the cheaper ones were in the Black colour, because they simply aren't as popular as the other colours. At first this put me off too, until I started thinking about changing the pickguard, and then I realised having a black body would actually be my favourite option - I'm a huge fan of how black bodies and white pick-up covers look with tortoiseshell or anodized gold pickguards. smile.gif

I've named her Adwoa (pronounced Adjua - after a Ghanaian lass I once dated), and she covers the ground in my sonic arsenal where I want a bridge and bridge+middle single coil sounds. It's also a much more vintage voiced Strat and being Alder+Maple should compliment beautifully my Ash+Rosewood Charvel. Without further ado, here are some piccies of the new lass in my stable - looking perfectly at home on the tatami mats. biggrin.gif

2141080844_afb537574a.jpg

2140316727_d264b1b8dd.jpg2140295881_14c18bbd3a.jpg2141080464_c6362aac94.jpg

I look forward to rockin' her with my F-50 in the New Year. Hope you all have a wonderfully musical New Year too! thumb.gif

Big smiles,

Andy.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Dann'sTheMan

View Post

Hey Brothers,

I hope you're all having a wonderful festive season. My festive season got a whole lot better at the top end of this week (Dec 24) when I decided to pull the trigger on a particularly sweet E.J. Strat. tongue.gif

As I touched on earlier, there are some pretty keenly priced E.J. Strats here in Japan, and I had pretty much made up my mind that I would have to pick one up. All the cheaper ones were in the Black colour, because they simply aren't as popular as the other colours. At first this put me off too, until I started thinking about changing the pickguard, and then I realised having a black body would actually be my favourite option - I'm a huge fan of how black bodies and white pick-up covers look with tortoiseshell or anodized gold pickguards. smile.gif

I've named her Adwoa (pronounced Adjua - after a Ghanaian lass I once dated), and she covers the ground in my sonic arsenal where I want a bridge and bridge+middle single coil sounds. It's also a much more vintage voiced Strat and being Alder+Maple should compliment beautifully my Ash+Rosewood Charvel. Without further ado, here are some piccies of the new lass in my stable - looking perfectly at home on the tatami mats. biggrin.gif

I look forward to rockin' her with my F-50 in the New Year. Hope you all have a wonderfully musical New Year too! thumb.gif

Big smiles,

Andy.

Beautiful guitar Andy, I find myself coveting your Christmas Eve gift to yourself. EJ is one of my favorites and I have played his sig. guitar at Guitar Center. My goal is to own one someday...

I think the black body is cool. But, like you said, the tortoiseshell will make it *pop*. Congratulations, post some clips if you have any time, I'd love to hear it.

• Members

Finally I got to control the channels on my F-100 head with my GT-8 processor. It took me a while to do this, but I finally have my custom made cable. Thanks to "dan's the mann" for this wonderful idea.

The only problem that I have now is that I could only control channel 1 and 2 and not the contour effect. I really don't care about the reverb since I make up for it with my Gt-8. I was thinking of actually using an eq to make up for the contour effect. Does anybody know the eq settings on the famous Mesa Boogie contour effect? Let me know if you guys have any tips on this.

Once again have a wonderful new year F-series brothers.thumb.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Will Cyrier

View Post

Beautiful guitar Andy, I find myself coveting your Christmas Eve gift to yourself. EJ is one of my favorites and I have played his sig. guitar at Guitar Center. My goal is to own one someday...

I think the black body is cool. But, like you said, the tortoiseshell will make it *pop*. Congratulations, post some clips if you have any time, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks Will,

She's certainly a photogenic guitar, and the tone - mmm. love.gif I'm also pretty much persuaded about going for tortoiseshell, I think it looks SO funky on the custom shop models, and it would be a cool visual nod to my guitar hero's signature guitar (Dann Huff's Tyler).

I'm planning to visit a new (for me) guitar shop this afternoon in a town called Ebina. I'll be keeping an eye out for the pickguard. When I get back to the UK, I'll certainly try to get around to sharing some clips. thumb.gif

Big smiles,

Andy.

• Members

So here's a dumb question (that I may have already asked, but the Search didn't turn up anything):

Can you swap out the reverb tank in an F100 head and replace it with something else (like a different effect)? How is it connected?

Maybe this is a dumb idea...but if it actually works, there are some great possibilities here.

Archived