Mesa F-series Lounge. Come on in and share your secrets.

Dann'sTheMan

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by Joeytpg

View Post

hey tommi why don't you upload a video of your band playing live? or at least some rehearsals? I'd like tosee you guys play.

We've been thinking doing that many times. Last time we were on studio the camera blew... and once the cameras working at the time we were filming with two cameras a bigger live gig, the recorded guitar track was basicly overloaded with digital distortion. That material may be salvageable by doing some studio overdubs for the guitar. In any case we are planning at least to video some of the upcoming studio sessions. Hopefully the camera can handle it this time icon_lol.gif

• Members

Sweet. That's what I was thinking. I've been looking for an Orange cab. I have some strange attraction to them. I've used the Marshall 1960s. I think it's overdone with Mesa heads. If I have a dollar for everytime I saw a Dual rectifier with a 1960. I'd probably have a good hundred bucks the, I'd be a hundred bucks closer to an orange cab.

lovED

• Members

guys I've gotten to a conclusion today.....

The F-series BY ITSELF (without a Boost) can't do ALL kinds of metal.

It can do the progressive metal ala Scenery Channel, etc.....but it can't do the 80's metal ala Metallica Justice...... it's just too loose.

How is the EQ in the loop done? maybe this will fix it.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Joeytpg

View Post

guys I've gotten to a conclusion today.....

The F-series BY ITSELF (without a Boost) can't do ALL kinds of metal.

It can do the progressive metal ala Scenery Channel, etc.....but it can't do the 80's metal ala Metallica Justice...... it's just too loose.

How is the EQ in the loop done? maybe this will fix it.

The only thing that I don't like about the F-series is that there's no post-gain EQ. In any modern amp, most, if not all, of the EQ is post-gain (Marshalls, Mesa DRs, Soldano, Bogner, etc), and they all use a Marshall-style tone stack.

Then end result is an EQ curve where (with all of the knobs flat) there is a slight boost (like 3db) around 100 hz, a cut around 750 hz (about 8-12db), and a boost around 1100 hz (like 3-5db).

If you've played a Mark-series, you'll recognize these as the standard V-shaped graphic positions that everyone uses.

To effectively use an EQ in the loop, set it to the curve that I've described, with the loop 100% wet. Then, start out with the OPPOSITE eq curve on the amp's tone stack. By boosting the mids and cutting the bass pre-gain, you'll get a much tighter, chunkier tone, and it works a LOT better for metal.

Also, by tweaking the pre-gain EQ, you can get a MUCH wider range of tonal voicings than you can with an amp w/o pre-EQ, because you can actually shape the color of the distortion.

• Members

Hey everyone. Just a few questions. I've got the F-100 head. Sometimes it sounds super beast and other times it doesn't on both the clean and lead channels. I really dont understand what the deal is. I dunno if something's up with the power situation or if it's the tubes. I don't know if it ready to be retubed the person I bought it from said it was recently tubed. When I do retube it, what should I look for?

lovED

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by lovED

View Post

Sweet. That's what I was thinking. I've been looking for an Orange cab. I have some strange attraction to them. I've used the Marshall 1960s. I think it's overdone with Mesa heads. If I have a dollar for everytime I saw a Dual rectifier with a 1960. I'd probably have a good hundred bucks the, I'd be a hundred bucks closer to an orange cab.

lovED

I had a 1960 JCM 800 Lead 4X12 for the longest time and it was really starting to grate on me. I think about ten pages back on this thread you can see where I just got fedup with the harsh sound the F100 produced through that cabinet. I switched over to a Roadking Cab (openback C90's, closedback v30's) and have not had a complaint since.

• Members

Oh, and FYI I recently made a big guitar switch. I had been playing a USA Schecter Sunset 7 with humbuckers. Real shredder guitar with some huge smooth tone.

Now? I play a USA Strat Deluxe...SINGLE COIL...

It took me a bit of playing with my F100 but I'm really happy with the tones I'm getting from the Strat into it. I had been extremely happy with the tones I was getting from the Schecter, but it was just pretty limiting in what styles sounded good through it. The Strat can do so much more, and the F works for it wonderfully. I have much more "vintage" tones going now, but it still hauls for the heavy stuff. It may not be that super smooth humbucker fatness, but I find myself preferring a bit of character in my full on distortion tone.

• Members

I have a 1989 Fender American. It does sound sick through it. I wish I could afford a Road-King. I dunno. I need a cab that'll handle it. Maybe a recto cab......i've got my mind set on an orange. I dunno. I like the v-30's it's just the marshall is cosmetically blah......

lovED

• Members

As it's listed in my sig. I have a strat, but it's got EMGs.....they sound PRETTY good..... (both single coils) and the 85, well....it's an 85 hb I LOVE IT (some people don't but, oh well).

But a Strat with the Strat pickups is ANOTHER thing...... I'm waiting for my John Mayer sig. strat, and I KNOW, that it'll turn my F-50 into another thing completely. I've seen a couple of youtube videos with the F-50/100 being played through a strat and it's SWEET....sound VERY VERY fenderish.

I got a Goldtop (P90s) on the way too, and that should be even more interesting soundwise! biggrin.gif

• Members

MESA F-30 owners attention

I'm looking for some help from you, if you don't mind...

I'm considering a Mesa Boggie F-30 and I wanted to know if it's possible to conect it to an external speaker... anyone knows?

in the F-50 there's a jack conected to a speaker out (the jack coming from the speaker of the combo). I get the impression that I can unplug that and plug it into a standard cab...

is it possible?

But I can't find any rear pics of the F-30, so anyone knows if that's possible in the F-30?

here's a pic of the f-50

F-50-rearLgr2.jpg

Thank you

• Members

Yes it is!

The back of the F50 is the same as the F30.

Quote Originally Posted by Tweak88

View Post

MESA F-30 owners attention

I'm looking for some help from you, if you don't mind...

I'm considering a Mesa Boggie F-30 and I wanted to know if it's possible to conect it to an external speaker... anyone knows?

in the F-50 there's a jack conected to a speaker out (the jack coming from the speaker of the combo). I get the impression that I can unplug that and plug it into a standard cab...

is it possible?

But I can't find any rear pics of the F-30, so anyone knows if that's possible in the F-30?

here's a pic of the f-50

F-50-rearLgr2.jpg

Thank you

• Members

I'm thinking of buying one.

I was looking for a rectifier-type distortion you know?

but i didn't want to buy a head+cab because it's not practical to move arround. i know the rectoverb and tremoverb but they're a bit expensive and i can't find them used (in europe).

do you think i could get that high-gain distortion like nickelback/avenged sevenfold?

I'd appreciate your help. thank you

• Members

Hell yeah. I believe the F-50 sounds more Rectoish than the F-30 due to it's Modern sound (more american if I may say so)

They'll both sound amazing.

By the way, the F-series amps are a mix between the Recto aggressive voicing and the liquid sounds the Mark series have, if you know what I mean.

It's very interesting to me at least, because when you play rythm you FEEL as if it's a baby Recto, but as soon as you play a single note or a lead, the Mark Series steps in immediately! without doing a thing! (no boost, no anything), it's like magic. pretty weird and awesome if you ask me

• Members

I play hardcore/rock with my F-100 head the thing i've notice about the F-series gain is, it's edgy but not too edgy. I keep wondering if it's not enough for me but, myself and everyone thinks it sounds amazing either way. People who know nothing about guitar tones tell me it's the best they've heard. So it's not a matter of wether it's enough to me.......it just sounds good.

lovED

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by lovED

View Post

I play hardcore/rock with my F-100 head the thing i've notice about the F-series gain is, it's edgy but not too edgy. I keep wondering if it's not enough for me but, myself and everyone thinks it sounds amazing either way. People who know nothing about guitar tones tell me it's the best they've heard. So it's not a matter of wether it's enough to me.......it just sounds good.

lovED

You know loveD, I'll have to agree with you, SOMETIMES if feels as if I need something more.....specially in the gain department. If i were a metal player through and through, I'd either boost it, or have another amp. I love this little beast for Rock, Hard rock but for metal I feel it's somewhat loose. (I don't like the rectos THAT much, so I guess that's the reason) I prefer tighter amps.

But since I mostly play pop/blues/rock/Hard Rock it works perfectly.

I just bought a POD XT LIVE for my BROOTAL playing (for fun really, not giging)

• Members

I love the cleans I get out of my F-30. I remember a guy coming up to me after a gig and telling me, "That's the best clean tone I've ever heard!" I was pretty stoked. I wouldn't totally agree with him, but it is pretty stinkin' sweet sounding. The OD channel is great too!

• Members

The F-Series all together is notorious for the clean tones.

I really don't know if the music I play is in need of anymore gain.

The F-100 really does push some air i'll give it that it's got balls and its very HEAVY (pun intended (the thing weighs a ton)).

I've been using a Zakk Wylde OD in front of the contour on the F-100... i've been having problems though. In another thread I started a lot of people were telling me that less gain is more. I've played with the gain at Noon, 11, 10.....I really just don't know. I don't like the rectos either....I don't need anything tighter. I have a NS-2/ EQ combo for that......I just really don't know. I think I really am falling in love with the F-series. It's very complimenting to may playing styles and is very diverse. I guess I just have to find the right thing to put in front of it. It's just so freaking loud I have no time to experiment aside from practice. Please help.

lovED

Archived