Mesa F-series Lounge. Come on in and share your secrets.

Dann'sTheMan

• Members
Replying to otter5555 got me thinking..............

.....who in here plays blues? or Pop/blues? could someone gimme some nice blues scales and blues based chords that i can use to write some tunes?

I'm completely new to Blues, or to COOL ASS GUITAR for that matter, even tho i've been playing guitar for close to 10 years, I used to play mostly Metal, and Alternative/punk. And while I developed GREAT speed in my right hand and my powerchording is pretty good, I honestly have been opening up to a BETTER guitar playing. Listening to John Mayer (i love this guy's music, i believe he is the next big thing in music,), listening to Stevie Ray V., B.B. King, etc....

This has really changed the way I look at music and specially guitar playing, I'm writing my first CD (I'm a singer songwriter) and what's coming out of me is pop/rock/blusy songs (the singing melody is very pop, but with a lot of rockish/blues).

So, i'm learning new chords, and soloing (i was a rythm player mostly before) so, what are good chords and scales to get that rockish/blues melodies going?.

Hey Joeytpg,

Regarding the blues, I think one of the key hurdles in getting more sophisticated, is moving fluidly being the Major and Minor Pentatonic (and Blues) scales - often switching between them everytime the chord is changed for example. Hearing which one of the scales sounds best for the current chord in the progression is part of the art.

You probably know this, but a "simple" way to switch between Major and Minor Pentatonic is to move the scale shape up and down the neck by three frets. In the example that hal9000 highlighted, that scale can also be called C Major Pentatonic. To make it a C Minor Pentatonic, play the same shape three frets higher i.e. beginning 8---11. Play both of these scales over an A minor Blues, and make the decision which chords sound best with which scale, and then try to swap between the two as the chord dictates. Hope you have fun with it. :)

Big smiles,

Andy.

P.S. For a little insight into how I use some of these ideas, check out the "Bluesy" video clip in my sig. :p

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Hi opultaM,

Most of us, including hal9000, simply made our own - as it only costs a few bucks in parts. If you've ever used a soldering iron (and even if you haven't) it's very straight forward. Have you already checked out the info in post #2 of this thread?

Big smiles,

Andy.

Thanks buddy, I'll take a look. Not in the market for one in the moment, but it'll be nice to know that if I ever am runnin ghtat type setup again, I can make my own

• Members

Hey Andy! nice to hear from you again buddy. how's everything?

I've heard great things about the Powerblock, do you like it? How are you using it? as a Poweramp for the POD?

My girlfriend's brother wants to buy a Cab to hook his POD XT LIVE and i suggested the Crate Prowerblock because I've read it's very CLEAN (it doesn't color the sound)

• Members

I've heard great things about the Powerblock, do you like it? How are you using it? as a Poweramp for the POD?

My girlfriend's brother wants to buy a Cab to hook his POD XT LIVE and i suggested the Crate Prowerblock because I've read it's very CLEAN (it doesn't color the sound)

Have him check out Atomic as well, just for more options...:poke:

• Members

hey brothers.... i made a clip. This is one of the songs I'm working on for my album. It's a Blues tune, it's very raw, but you get the idea. I'm in the creative part of the album (writing it!) and I don't record much during this phase, It blocks my creativity, but I was testing something in Logic 8 and recorded this quickly.

It's just my F-50 (with the old Mesa tubes still) and y strat with EMG S/S/85 system (two single coils which sound very good actually.

hope you enjoy it.

Also, don't pay attention to the solo because it's not THE solo, just the general idea of how i want it to sound.

it's the first one "F-50 Blues"

http://www.soundclick.com/joeytpg

• Members

Hey all, I remember reading this thread a long time ago, then I stopped visiting HC for a while but saw a link here from the boogie board and thought I'd venture back and I am glad I did. I used to be jkornel but I think that account was deleted or something as I couldn't log in, so i made a new account.

I am still rocking my F100 head and 3/4 back 212 after almost 4 years it still rocks. I have changed tubes a couple times and still run Mesa Boogie tubes in there (playing it safe I guess).

My questions are...

I have read about Hal's master volume mod using a cable and the effects loop, is this the same effect as running an attenuator? Can this be accomplished running my BOSS EQ pedal in the loop?

And most importantly I read all the time about the great tone you can get running a tube amp cranked up to drive the power tubes harder, can this be accomplished with the master volume mod? Or is an attenuator the way to go and if so which one ?

Thanks !
Jeremy

• Members

I have read about Hal's master volume mod using a cable and the effects loop, is this the same effect as running an attenuator? Can this be accomplished running my BOSS EQ pedal in the loop?

And most importantly I read all the time about the great tone you can get running a tube amp cranked up to drive the power tubes harder, can this be accomplished with the master volume mod? Or is an attenuator the way to go and if so which one ?

Thanks !

Jeremy

i think that this way you only lower the amount of signal which is coming from the preamp to poweramp and thus you're not pushing powertubes any more than normally. I believe that this is the same as would be putting a boss ge7 in loop and then controlling the level knob on the Boos, that's what i do too on my Studio.22+

attenuator wise, i can't help you, haven't ever used one

• Members

joel3000, it's never happened to me. what was the post about?

I once posted a link to a non-music related product site. It was not OT. Post deleted.

I once used the name of the SF public transit agency and mentioned that I used to live near Kirk Hammett's (for sale) SF house, which was listed by address.

There is no sign of these posts now - at least they don't turn up when I search my name.

I've seen posters avoid using non-music related corporate names. Instead of

using the direct name, such as 7-11, they'll say something like I was down at the 8-12 buying a squishee and...

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Joeytpg

View Post

Hi Joey,

I'm well. Hope you are too. smile.gif

Regarding the Powerblock, I don't use it at all at the moment - I simply picked it up because it was a good price. If I get around to picking up the appropriate gear, I figure I may experiment in using it either in a Slave set up (Attenuator->FX Unit->PowerBlock->Speaker), or perhaps in a Wet/Dry/Wet set up (FX Send->G-Major->PowerBlock in Stereo-> Stereo Cabs + Combo speaker for dry sound). For the time being, it's just sitting in my music room waiting for a mission, tongue.gif

Big smiles,

Andy.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Joeytpg

View Post

hey brothers.... i made a clip. This is one of the songs I'm working on for my album. It's a Blues tune, it's very raw, but you get the idea. I'm in the creative part of the album (writing it!) and I don't record much during this phase, It blocks my creativity, but I was testing something in Logic 8 and recorded this quickly.

It's just my F-50 (with the old Mesa tubes still) and y strat with EMG S/S/85 system (two single coils which sound very good actually.

hope you enjoy it.

Also, don't pay attention to the solo because it's not THE solo, just the general idea of how i want it to sound.

it's the first one "F-50 Blues"

http://www.soundclick.com/joeytpg

Sweet tone and production, my friend. Lovely bluesy chord progression with some great musical ideas too. I look forward to hearing the finished article, smile.gif

Big smiles,

Andy.

• Members

Thanks a lot Andy, means a lot coming from you man. smile.gif It's not too polished, and the playing's not great, but I don't mind, it's just a quick clip.

I'm in the writing process like I said, so far I have like 11, 12 song ideas, but there are like 5 or 6 that I KNOW will end up in the record.

I'll post here as long as i have more songs and or clips. smile.gif

• Members

Hey Everybody,

I haven't posted here often, if at all, but I have an effects question that is also F-series specific. I hoped maybe someone here could help. I am running a few pedals in front of my F30, and several in the loop. I found that when I try to power the pedals in front of the amp and the ones in the loop with the same power supply, I get a very noticeable hum. If I use two different power supplies, all is well. I have tried a couple of different supplies,(one spot and gator) and had the same result with either. I just can't seem to get the before amp and loop stuff to get along.

I am curious if any other f-series owners have experienced this, or if maybe there is a fault with my amp. I called and talked to someone at Mesa about it. He really couldn't explain it, and said I might just have to use the two seperate supplies. Not a huge deal, but it would be nice to simplify.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by 1Knucklehead

View Post

Hello All,

FNG Here. I just purchased a new g major and I had planned to purchase a midi foot switch later. Can I use the g major with the front buttons or do I have to use the footswitch for the unit to work? Thanks, Bill

You can do everything from the G-Major's front panel, but I certainly wouldn't want to gig that way. smile.gif

Do yourself a favor and read the manual for the G-Major if you haven't already. You should get a really good insight into what it can do and maybe learn some new things. As a general tip, I leave both the input and output knobs at 12:00 and adjust my overall level with the output knob from there. My clean master is usually at 11:00 (gain @ 12:00) where CH2's master is 10:00 (gain @ 1:00) for practice and gigs.

• Members

Thanks hal9000, I've been reading thru this thread and I sure appreciate all the info you provide to the forum. I'm assuming the "input and output knobs at 12" are the ones on the g major. And the "overall level" with my f50. I have been listening to what you and a few others said about the g major and thats what motivated me to buy the g major.

I'm planning to read the manual, (lots of info) at the moment I selected analog not digital, and no midi. But I'm not getting any fx. Thanks, Bill

• Members

Not wanting to offend everyone but just a quick note that I have a pristine 2005 F50 combo for sale (which I am posting on the Amps for sale thread). Buying a house so need the $$ BUT NOT selling my F30!! so I will still be an F-series loving brother. thumb.gif WILL CONSIDER ANY SERIOUS OFFER. eBay sale has not started yet. Pics here:

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze72kg5/b...album/id2.html

Thanks for your time!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Mrmot View Post
hey guys, do your F-series amps have a metal rod(like on the pic below) or a metal grille in the back to protect the tubes?

IMG_0332.JPG.w560h420.jpg

Iced Tea, i hope you don't me linking to your pic
No problem Mrmot - anything for an F-series brother (except a free F50)! wink.gif

• Members

"Hey otter5555, welcome to the F-brotherhood, stick around and read a little, you'll find A LOT of good stuff in this lounge.

F-series amps RULE the world. I LOVE my f-50!

by the way, post some pics and clips if you can.

You play tha' blues you say.........what do you like?? I'm getting into Blues, learning some blues pentatonics, etc."

heres a link to a short mp3 that i jammed over for a few minutes this afternoon.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=776643

Please be kind smile.gif

i'm just an old fart with arthritic fingers.

i used my f-30, a boss rv5 and boss dd-3 in the effects loop

and my gibson sg guitar.

otter

Archived