Mesa F-series Lounge. Come on in and share your secrets.

Dann'sTheMan

• Members

so i just had a thought. I wanted to start a fresh musical expedition here. Do away with all the old band names and style constraints that i've had in the past and just make some nice, solid, back-to-basics guitar rock. Since i'm using my F-50 as my main source of tone, i thought it'd be kinda cool to make my 'band' name something from a classic sci-fi type movie, kinda like how we have "hal9000" and "the scenery channel" "afraid dave" and all that... seems to be a common theme (or it could be the cold medicine making me think this is a good idea...)

any suggestions for names or movies to draw name ideas from?

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by mrelusive

View Post

so i just had a thought. I wanted to start a fresh musical expedition here. Do away with all the old band names and style constraints that i've had in the past and just make some nice, solid, back-to-basics guitar rock. Since i'm using my F-50 as my main source of tone, i thought it'd be kinda cool to make my 'band' name something from a classic sci-fi type movie, kinda like how we have "hal9000" and "the scenery channel" "afraid dave" and all that... seems to be a common theme (or it could be the cold medicine making me think this is a good idea...)

any suggestions for names or movies to draw name ideas from?

IMDB.com!

There's lots of scifi movies, endless possibilities... I recently watched "Primer".

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Tommi Inkila

View Post

Big thanks, I'm very happy to hear that the CD rocks!!! smile.gif

I didn't use any boost pedals, just guitar, cable and amp... that's it.

I'm planning to try some pedals on our next CD but so far everything has sounded great with plain F50 thumb.gif

hell yeah it rocks. I gotta give it to you man, it's really well mixed. I like the Mastering a lot too. The F-50 and the Drums sound monstrous.

I want some tips regarding mixing. I'm going to record my personal CD (Pop/rock/blues) and I could use some help with tips and stuff.

I was using ProTools but my interface got stolen (M-Audio Firewire 410) and it turned out for the best because I replaced it with a Metric Halo ULN-2 interface which is LIGHT YEARS beyond the M-Audio 410. I also switched to Logic 8, since I like GarageBand so much, I saw logic 8 and reminded me of GarageBand and went for it.... so far I like it a lot.

So, when the time comes I'll shoot you with mixing/recording questions. smile.gif

Another thing,

What did you do to get that FULL sound on the guitars? doubletrack?, how many guitar tracks did you record ? I asume AT LEAST two and Panned of course. I won't use TOO much distortion/gain since it's blues/pop/rock and I don't really have too much experience recording clean/light distortion guitars, so I have NO IDEA how to make them FULL sounding.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Joeytpg

View Post

hey F-brothers..... i have a question for you........besides the F-series, what amps do you own??

i'm dying for a Diezel VH4 or Herbert!!

I have a Mesa F-100 2x12 combo , a Mesa Tremoverb head, a Soldano Avenger head, an Orange Tiny Terror, a custom 5 W EL-84 head made by Doberman Amps, a Tonelab, and a Toneport UX-2.

I think it's funny when people slag the F-series as the amp people get when they can't afford a real Mesa. smile.gif

• Members

Hey Joey!

The guitars are one take on the left and right, only few parts have "super-stereo", two takes on both side. I used some EQ and compression to even things out. I had the gain around 12:30-13:00 so if you want light gain switch either to "contour off" or go for low gain amounts. Everytime you doubletrack things you need less and less gain.

Thanks for the mix as well smile.gif... I really put some time into it... and I'm hoping to top it on our next album. The mastering is one reason why the album is quite punchy. I didn't want it to be massively loud like today's albums tend to be. Thomas Eberger did great job on that. On "RSK" I had to do it myself since one of the bigger name mastering studios screwed up with the master (no names)... it just didn't sound how I wanted it to sound. We were out of budget so I had to do it.

I'll try to answer your questions when the times comes.

I haven't tried the Diezel but it's on my checking list.

I have the Mesa F50 and Vox AD15VT as practise/home recording amp.

• Members

View Post

hey hal, or tommi, have you played a Diezel? which one and what do you think of it?

I'm not to sure I want to play a $4000 USD amp for fear of having to have it, but I would certainly give one a spin if available. I've never seen one in person though. I'm kind of like that with an SLO as well. I have a Soldano Avenger I love and I'd really like to try an SLO because it's supposed to do everything better with awesome build quality, but I fear I'll have to have it and the $2300 USD used price tag is a bit steep for me.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by eddie.perez

View Post

Hey guys what's up,

Do you guys think it's better to use a boost overdrive pedal such as the bb preamp, or use the countour on the F-100 amp head. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks for all of your help!!thumb.gif

I just happen to have a BB preamp and IMO a boost out front and Contour do two different things. I actually prefer an overdrive pedal to give me the in-between tones on the clean channel for which the BB excels. For boosts, I like to set them clean and drop the bass level so the preamp is tighter. Contour simply scoops the mids after distortion is created so it doesn't have an impact on the quality of the distortion. Another use I like for clean boosts, which the BB does greatly, is to setup your distortion channel for an AC/DC kind of moderate overdrive.

Then, for classic rock songs the regular channel 2 is used. For solos, you kick in the BB preamp since it is very liquid. Finally, BB+Contour gives you high gain with tight bass and an evil treble to bring the metal. thumb.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by hal9000

View Post

I just happen to have a BB preamp and IMO a boost out front and Contour do two different things. I actually prefer an overdrive pedal to give me the in-between tones on the clean channel for which the BB excels. For boosts, I like to set them clean and drop the bass level so the preamp is tighter. Contour simply scoops the mids after distortion is created so it doesn't have an impact on the quality of the distortion. Another use I like for clean boosts, which the BB does greatly, is to setup your distortion channel for an AC/DC kind of moderate overdrive.

Then, for classic rock songs the regular channel 2 is used. For solos, you kick in the BB preamp since it is very liquid. Finally, BB+Contour gives you high gain with tight bass and an evil treble to bring the metal. thumb.gif

By liquid do you mean transperant? anyways, Wow you just gave me an idea, My F-100 is going to have four channels now, #1-BB Preamp set to Raw on clean channel, #2-Regular Dark Clean, #3- Regular tube overdrive, and #4-bb preamp+Countour for lovely pleasant crazy solos. I'm going to have to go get me one now. I hope they have them at the new GC at west la. Thanks man.thumb.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by eddie.perez

View Post

By liquid do you mean transperant? anyways, Wow you just gave me an idea, My F-100 is going to have four channels now, #1-BB Preamp set to Raw on clean channel, #2-Regular Dark Clean, #3- Regular tube overdrive, and #4-bb preamp+Countour for lovely pleasant crazy solos. I'm going to have to go get me one now. I hope they have them at the new GC at west la. Thanks man.thumb.gif

You're welcome. By liquid, I mean that when you play solos, the BB provides effortless sustain without adding a whole bunch of noise and gain. You can set the tone almost clean, with a hint of compression on the BB into the F-series clean channel. Even though the tone sounds clean, it has a lot more sustain than the clean channel on its own.

• Members

View Post

hey F-brothers..... i have a question for you........besides the F-series, what amps do you own??

i'm dying for a Diezel VH4 or Herbert!!

-Fender 70's SF Vibrochamp for my bedroom.

-Peavey Rage (garbage) for...some stupid reason

-Just sold my 3channel Dual Recto. The F killed it for me.

• Members

View Post

ok guys, I just got my new tubes, I'm a total noob when it comes to this, I've never changed tubes before, so I need some guidance. How should I change them?

Unplug the amp from the power. Wait a few minutes. Pull the old ones out (with care) and put the new ones in.

Since it's a Mesa Boogie, as long as the new tubes are also Mesa Boogie you don't need to bias the amp.

• Members

View Post

The tubes are not from Mesa....... tommi, what should i do? i don't know how to bias the amp. :S

They don't have to be Mesa tubes, but the power tubes do need to fall within the range of Mesa's acceptable bias. Your dealer should insure that the tubes are okay for use in Mesa 6L6 amps. The preamp tubes don't need to be biased by you, so they simply install by orienting them properly in the socket and that's it. Just don't twist the tubes. You may rock them a bit back and forth, but don't twist.

• Members

hey hal, thanks a lot. I got the Tubes from www.tubeampdoctor.com tommi actually recommended me the tubes I ordered. It doesn't say if they're ok to use in the Mesa amp without biasing.... I guess tommi could clear this up for me.

By the way hal, are the tubes supposed to go in a certain order, or in a specific possition? I get what you say about not twisting the tubes, what you mean by this is that if they're getting hard to push in, I could rock em back and forth to "help them" in but never twist the tube, right?

thanks.

• Members

View Post

hey hal, thanks a lot. I got the Tubes from www.tubeampdoctor.com tommi actually recommended me the tubes I ordered. It doesn't say if they're ok to use in the Mesa amp without biasing.... I guess tommi could clear this up for me.

By the way hal, are the tubes supposed to go in a certain order, or in a specific possition? I get what you say about not twisting the tubes, what you mean by this is that if they're getting hard to push in, I could rock em back and forth to "help them" in but never twist the tube, right?

thanks.

Hey,

I should have guided you more on the ordering process, but it didn't come in to my mind. I normally ask them to send the tubes for Mesa's bias range ie. I asked them to send me tubes that are similar to Mesa's green rating. Most likely the tubes you've been send are pretty close to that range but if you post the numbers/ratings printed on the package I could check how close they are. If I remember right the PC rating should be around 40... and TC 600. Not sure though.

There are no exact orders for the tubes. Generally the power amp tubes are changed in pairs and preamp in any order you like. When changing them don't use too much power and do it slowly.

• Members

alright the preamp tubes (the smaller ones) don't have neither PC nor TC number, but the poweramp tubes (the big ones) do

as you said the big ones came in pair, the box says this:

One of them says:

6L6GC-STR| PC:60

C57 07 | TC:630

The other one says:

6L6GC-STR| PC:60

A99 07 | TC:630

it's written on both boxes on the top hatch.

so can i use them without biasing?

Archived