Mesa F-series Lounge. Come on in and share your secrets.

Dann'sTheMan

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Torh

View Post

All right.. I have complained about motorboat/helicopter sound of my DD-20 through my F-50 before.. However I found settings where I could avoid the problem. But however again, I find it limits me a lot, so now I'm going for the mod described by Hal, Dann, petesvilla, et. al. I.e. modding the loop from parallel to serial.

Nevertheless, I am a bit nervous as to how to go about this. What screws would I want to release to access the guts for the loop? Any precautions I should take regarding electrical safety?

I am not inexperienced with the solder pen, it's just that I've never used it in an amp before...

Thanks!

EDIT:

I have stumbled upon this picture from the guts of the F-30. From the pic, it looks like the one end of the cable would be difficult to access, am I right? From the parallel to serial mod schematic, we're supposed to remove one cable entirely, and from this pic it seems difficult to reach under that chipboard..

First off, I don't believe the mod will fix your issue. I don't know the details of your problem other than the motorboating. Did you try a different power supply for your DD20? Different cables? Different effect in the loop? You can try the mod, but again, I don't think it will help this problem. I'd exhaust all other troubleshooting possibilities before performing the mod.

The mod has you solder the lead leftmost on the pot to the center one and unsoldering the right one. Just tape that lead off. A soldering pen probably won't have enough heat to perform this mod. I'd suggest a 35 watt iron instead.

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by lovED

View Post

i haven't used my effects loop yet.

enlighten me.

I plan on getting a subdecay stupid box soon.

would that sound good straight or through the loop.

I don't even know how it works.

I don't have a manual for my amp.

Help.

lovED

The loop would be good for any effects that you want AFTER distortion. You would run the FX send of the loop to the input of any effects you want in the loop, and send the output back to the FX Return.

The order of the effects and placement are really up to you - feel free to experiment. However, generally speaking, chorus, delay, volume, tremolo, and pitch-shift sounds better in the loop than before. YMMV.

Mike

• Members

you know, I have motorboating when I run both echo pedals at the same time, or when the gain(output) is too high inside the fx loop. That doesnt have anything to do with your issue does it? Sorry if you've already answered those kind of questions, I havent exactly been paying attention.

lovED... its pretty straightforward... loop out to your subdecay, then back into loop in. I have my mix up all the way,,,, does anyone not have their mix on 90%.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by mudbuddy11

View Post

hmmm, I should have my tremelo in the loop?

I usually do - distortion usually compresses your sound a bit, so having the tremolo in front will sound very different than in the loop with distortion. Though, again, if you happen to like the sound of tremolo in front, go for it!

Mike

• Members

Hey guys,

So, I'm currently bidding on two amps right now, F-50 and F-100. I've been outbidded on the F-50 but I could easily go higher. I obviously don't want to win both so I'm wondering which one I should focus on? The F-100 is a at ridiculously low price right now but still has about 5 days left. Any suggestions?

• Members

I just ran across a forum on ts9's where someone said to be careful not to run buffered pedals behind the tube screamer. Something about not getting the full potential of the TUBES in the amp, and I can see what they might be talking about, but does anyone here have any real experience with that? What am I going to run into? Is it just when i'm driving the channel or clean too? does anyone know which pedals of mine are buffered? should I care? I'm going to guess that the alesis and line6 are buffered, so should I have them out of the chain when I use the ts9?

thanks all, this is a great thread. Its really helped me to figure this amp out.

• Members

Hey Neil, (or anyone) I just got my POD XTL and this is what I did:

Connected a dummy cable in the F-50 FX SEND and connected a cable from the XTL output (L/MONO), setting the AMP/LEVEL switch to LEVEL, this cable goes into the FX Receive.

I turned all the mac/amp sims off, but I don't know what's wrong... I'm still hearing the amp pre's (I can even switch the channel and contour) What am I doing wrong? do I need to change anything else in the POD itself?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by mudbuddy11

View Post

theres a buy it now f50 combo for 599, the head for 550 hasnt been bid on, and has 17hours left, and theres a f50 head for 200 with 2 days left to bid... be patient, something will come through.

No, I know. But I'm curious which one I should focus on more. The F50 or the F100. I plan on playing live but I'd also like to be able to do some bedroom volumes. I'm leaning more towards the 50 because I'm thinking I'd be able to push the tubes a bit more at lower volumes. Basically I just want to make sure I'm not missing out on anything by buying the 50 rather than the 100.

• Members

Regarding the attenuation in the loop, and correct me if i'm wrong, being the loop after the pre and before the power amp, if you attenuate the pre amp so you can push the power amp, aren't you almost bypassing the pre, and doing this, bypassing one of the most important thing in an amp? Isn't the same as connecting your guitar jack to the fx loop return?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by bassnewb32

View Post

First off, I don't believe the mod will fix your issue. I don't know the details of your problem other than the motorboating. Did you try a different power supply for your DD20? Different cables? Different effect in the loop? You can try the mod, but again, I don't think it will help this problem. I'd exhaust all other troubleshooting possibilities before performing the mod.

The mod has you solder the lead leftmost on the pot to the center one and unsoldering the right one. Just tape that lead off. A soldering pen probably won't have enough heat to perform this mod. I'd suggest a 35 watt iron instead.

I use this post as my main reference.. I have also read several posts from others that would support that idea.

I have changed power supply, altered the order of the Verbzilla and the DD-20, tried the DD-20 in line level mode, tried different cables..

Okay, so I will just use electrical insulation tape.. Yes, I did mean a 35W iron, I just thought a soldering pen was the same (sometimes English gets in the way wink.gif).

However, a last question regarding this.. How do I go about to access the area I want here? Any precautions other than not burning my fingers with the iron? I know one should be careful when being in an amp, but it might be different if one's just going to do something about the FX loop part?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Lamb

View Post

No, I know. But I'm curious which one I should focus on more. The F50 or the F100. I plan on playing live but I'd also like to be able to do some bedroom volumes. I'm leaning more towards the 50 because I'm thinking I'd be able to push the tubes a bit more at lower volumes. Basically I just want to make sure I'm not missing out on anything by buying the 50 rather than the 100.

Wow. Your "bedroom" must be waaaay out in the sticks or you have some mighty tolerant neighbors if you can push the output tubes on a 50 watt amp and avoid cop.gif My F-30 combo will rattle the windows with the single speaker and when I plug it into my 2x10 cab...eek.gif

I finally went out and got a Weber Mini Mass so I could really enjoy the tone without incurring a visit from the local gendarmes.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by pedrozepelim

View Post

Regarding the attenuation in the loop, and correct me if i'm wrong, being the loop after the pre and before the power amp, if you attenuate the pre amp so you can push the power amp, aren't you almost bypassing the pre, and doing this, bypassing one of the most important thing in an amp? Isn't the same as connecting your guitar jack to the fx loop return?

The loop attenuation is nothing more than an additional master volume. The F-series preamp just happens to benefit from running the 12AX7s a little hotter.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Torh

View Post

However, a last question regarding this.. How do I go about to access the area I want here? Any precautions other than not burning my fingers with the iron? I know one should be careful when being in an amp, but it might be different if one's just going to do something about the FX loop part?

Once you've removed the tubes and the amp from the shell, just keep your fingers out of the power supply area.

Also, did you try using batteries with your DD20 or just trying the DD20 alone without any other pedals?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by bassnewb32

View Post

Once you've removed the tubes and the amp from the shell, just keep your fingers out of the power supply area.

Also, did you try using batteries with your DD20 or just trying the DD20 alone without any other pedals?

Yes, I've tried that too.. Thanks for your help..!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by BillB1960

View Post

Wow. Your "bedroom" must be waaaay out in the sticks or you have some mighty tolerant neighbors if you can push the output tubes on a 50 watt amp and avoid cop.gif My F-30 combo will rattle the windows with the single speaker and when I plug it into my 2x10 cab...eek.gif

I finally went out and got a Weber Mini Mass so I could really enjoy the tone without incurring a visit from the local gendarmes.

Haha, well I don't mean I'll actually be pushing the tubes but I think I'd have an easier time pushing the 50 as opposed to the 100.

• Members

Hey brothers what's up, I have a problem.

The problem is with my F-100 head. I always run my Gt-8 effects processor in the fx loop of the amp 100% wet ( I never use the preamps on the Gt-8 by the way unless i'm away from my amp). Sometimes it makes this strange helipcopter noise. I know you guys probably talked about it before. It's just that I don't have time to go through every page on this tread. Is this a problem with the tubes? Please help me out. Thanks.thumb.gif

th_Mesaboogie002.jpg

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by eddie.perez

View Post

Hey brothers what's up, I have a problem.

The problem is with my F-100 head. I always run my Gt-8 effects processor in the fx loop of the amp 100% wet ( I never use the preamps on the Gt-8 by the way unless i'm away from my amp). Sometimes it makes this strange helipcopter noise. I know you guys probably talked about it before. It's just that I don't have time to go through every page on this tread. Is this a problem with the tubes? Please help me out. Thanks.thumb.gif

th_Mesaboogie002.jpg

Most likely its your delay settings. Back off the trail and level until the problem resolves itself. I had the same prob with my DD20.

Archived