OT: Doggie Downers

Belva

• Members

Dutchess.jpg

Yes this is off topic. But we're a family here.

As you can see I have an valued family member that had surgery to secure her kneecap in the proper place. I won't be doing any DIY projects for a long time. There goes my new neck, new speakers, Bassman 50 head X 2.5! And the prescribed sedatives make her loopy as hell!!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If you're anything like me, you'll consider it money well spent. My last dog Buddy, in my avatar pic, got bone cancer in one of his hind legs. We spent thousands on treatment, including having his leg amputated. But he was his happy tail-wagging self until a week before the cancer caught up with him and we had to have him put down. We gave him 10 months of quality life and he gave back more than that. So we don't regret spending that money one bit. Sure wish I'd had pet insurance though.!

Good luck with your patient.

• Members

Was the surgery for
Luxating Patella
? My dog had that repaired when he was just about a year old. The first two weeks where rough trying to keep him from running & jumping. Expensive but well worth it. Hope she's feeling better soon.

That's it! The other one will need done, but it's not as bad. She's an active dog and it would break my heart to see her stoved up with arthritis at 8 or 9 years old. Heelers can live for 15 plus years. She's almost one now. Hopefully I can get the other one done before too long. Yes, expensive but worth every penny! Puppy insurance is something I'm considering.

• Members

acepromazine is often the vets script, benadryl can also calm a dog down very well and has very little toxicity. Pets are some of the most intense emotional outlets for many, especially guys. When broadcasters get the "giggles" they're told to think of a dead pet and it sobers you right up.

my girl:

DSCN3992.JPG

• Members

25 mg acepromazine is what she's on. 1/2 to 1 tab ever 12 to 24 hrs. I've been giving 1/4 every 6 hrs. It calms her down but doesn't knock her out. With a half tab she has this forlorn, "WTF is wrong with me?" look. I just can't take it. Literally enough to make a grown man cry. The slow dribble does the job.

• Members

I had a little dog scare this week. Rosie was in the car with my girlfriend when they got into an accident. My girlfriend was fine and could tell me that but I was worried that Rosie, who was in the back seat of the sedan, was hurt and had no way to tell us.

It's a couple days down the road and she's fine. She was pretty subdued the next day, probably from being sore from tensing up.

Rosie (as in "Whole Lotta Rosie"):

14244_610250451285_24403399_35350552_749

• Members

Pana and Paulz, those are wonderful looking dogs. I had a dog that became deaf. I had another dog named Ruckus that was Sandy's hearing ear dog. Both gone to old age. Dogs watch out for each other. Is Rosie panting more than usual? That can be a sign of pain. Google may show all the signs of puppy pain. If that pic is current she just massacred a tennis ball. That indicates all is well. Dutchess is back to attacking my feet. She is, after all, a red heeler! I just need to keep her slowed down enough to heal.

• Moderators

Off topic? Maybe. But I don't see any reason this can't be a forum for DIYers as well as a DIY forum.

Sorry to hear about your dog, Tele. I know pets can become as much a part of a family as people. Sometimes I think my wife loves our cat more than she does me!

Anyway, good luck to you both.

• Members

We have a pair of Pugs, Mr. Magoo and Gizmo. Dogs rule, I wish I (and a lot of people I know) could be more like them. The world would be a far better place. Hell, if Obama really wanted to pass a great health care bill, write one that allows us to put our pets on our insurance!!!! Anybody who loves a dog is a friend of mine. TW

• Members

She gets stitches out tomorrow. BTW I cut her meds down to 1/4 of a pill every 6 hrs instead of 1/2 every 12. She gets calmed down without looking like she just ran a bunch of smack. Glad to see all of the dog lovers here.

• Members

Update. Dutchess is about 2 weeks ahead of schedule. She's in great shape, she's just a year old and she's smart enough to keep from over extending herself. Of maybe it's the doggie downers! I'm a happy Papa!

• Members

She gets stitches out tomorrow. BTW I cut her meds down to 1/4 of a pill every 6 hrs instead of 1/2 every 12. She gets calmed down without looking like she just ran a bunch of smack. Glad to see all of the dog lovers here.

count me in. i have 3 kids: (4 if you count humans)

1 - a 5 y/o bassett hound named NUGGET - biggest balls on a dog i've ever seen

2 - a 3 y/o 3/4 beagle-1/4 street dog. (apparently, one of his pure-bred grandparents slummed it)

3 - a 6 month old maltese...chick dog for the wife...i spend most of my time pretending that i don't completely adore that little guy because admission of that would be a comment against my manhood, but he's {censored}ing awesome. :)

Archived