OT: Doggie Downers

Belva

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Here's mine, my buddy Daxter. Rescued him from the pound about 5 months ago. He's a beagle / boston terrier mix. One of the coolest dogs I've ever had and my first dog (all the other dogs I grew up with were my parents and I wasn't as responsible for taking care of em). It's crazy how attached you can get to these little guys (and gals). Hope your dog heals up quick man!!

img3542k.jpg

Hanging out on my computer chair, he loves it for some reason.

• Members

I can tell Daxter is getting great care. The love they give back is priceless. Dutchess continuess to stretch before working the leg. Then she warms up and warms back down. I see progress every day. Dogs are smarter than we think they are.

• Members

FYI I have discovered that aleve (naproxin) makes a great anti inflammatory for my dog. The vets wanted $3 a pill for Deramaxx and my dog needed it daily for hip soreness The Pharma companies LOVE selling you animal specific drugs for big $$.

Naproxen has a few bad dog stories about it but all the Vet journal articles seem to be some poor sap who gave 15lb fido a tablet (200mg) a day, which is 10-20 times the right dose and rags their guts out.

Turns out 1.4mg/kg of body weight is about right for my dog and it stays in her blood so long she only needs it every 2-3 days (which is why I never dose her daily!)

I squeeze 2 liquid caps into exactly 1/4c of chicken broth and keep sealed in the fridge, shake well (it precipitates) and put 1 teaspoon on her dry food,

1t = 50lb dog

if she were 25lbs I'd give her 1/2t etc.

2 tablets = 400mg/0.25cups = 33mg/teaspoon

works great, she runs like she did when she was a pup! and costs ~$3 a YEAR (!)

These are entirely my own observations: naproxen may upset an older or more sensitive dog's stomach. I started out on the low side (1/2t) and gave just enough for relief every 2-3 days. I watched very closely for ANY gastric symptoms, and would have discontinued if I saw any.

I am a Ph.D. Biochemist so this is a studied opinion, but your experiences are entirely your own!

• Members

Tylenol is one you DON'T give dogs. But Aleve, I've heard, does work. I'm getting Rimadyl for her and it isn't too expensive. And it tastes like liver, so she thinks it's a treat.

yeah tylenol damages everybodys liver; dogs and humans, but 2 tylenol will kill a cat dead from blood toxicity. It also kills snakes real well and is being used to try and kill the brown tree snake which is destroying entire bird populations on Pacific islands. $3 a pill for anything is gouging IMHO, but if Rimadyl works keep her on it. Pets are often the first way people learn to love and because of their shorter lives, often how to lose too.

• Members

yeah tylenol damages everybodys liver; dogs and humans, but 2 tylenol will kill a cat dead from blood toxicity. It also kills snakes real well and is being used to try and kill the brown tree snake which is destroying entire bird populations on Pacific islands. $3 a pill for anything is gouging IMHO, but if Rimadyl works keep her on it. Pets are often the first way people learn to love and because of their shorter lives, often how to lose too.

Hi. I'm a veterinarian. Please do not recommend giving medications to animals on an internet forum, especially not this medication. You have been extremely lucky with this drug. It has a very narrow safety margin, and no veterinarian in their right mind would recommend it without significant reservations, and most will not recommend it at all. I've treated at least 75 dogs for liver failure, kidney failure, and severe (sometimes fatal) gastric ulceration from this medication. I get that you were monitoring closely, but by the time you saw gastric symptoms, it would have been very bad indeed.

Similarly, I don't recommend Deramaxx anymore. It's the number 1 ulcerogenic medication in dogs.

And you can kill a cat with a hell of a lot less than 2 tylenol.

• Members

Hi. I'm a veterinarian. Please do not recommend giving medications to animals on an internet forum, especially not this medication.

Read more carefully; I didn't recommend anything. I merely stated that I was doing it (free country and all). Of course $3 dog pills and yearly pet vaccinations seem specific to this great country of ours as well.

What dosages gave toxicity in your patients? One of the best documented cases I have read involved daily dosages at 5.6mg/kg for 7 days, which amounts to at east 10 times what I am dosing at. I realize the very long serum half life complicates things and the elimination kinetics may be breed specific but there are vets who recommend naproxen (Deramaxx too!). Too bad Palosein is no longer available...zero toxicity + zero patent-ability = zero!

• Members

Read more carefully; I didn't recommend anything. I merely stated that I was doing it (free country and all). Of course $3 dog pills and yearly pet vaccinations are also specific to this great country of ours as well.

And yet you give specific dosages and adjust them for the weights of different dogs. You are "the guy" in the line "I got the dose from a guy on the Internet" that is the bane of my existence.

Also specific to this great country of ours is the ability to act freely, even if it means giving statements that kill other people's dogs.

I'm glad that your dog is doing well on the medication. I'm not glad that you refuse to accept a professional's advice on a matter in which you have no professional training (canine pharmacology), and that you are putting your dog and other's dogs at risk with your actions and statements.

I'd like you to do this: call any three veterinarian's offices at random tomorrow, and tell them that you gave your dog some naproxen. See what happens.

• Members

I have used small amounts of baby aspirin in the past with other dogs. But only to get the animal comfortable until Monday morning. For Dutchess, at 40 lbs., it would be half. This was a recommendation from an old country vet.

• Members

Heres some pics of my pure bred. Her main has actually gotten much longer since these. I call her the Long Schnout Pup, my wife calls her the beheamouth. She is a big pup and is quite a handful when she launches up in into your lap.

Shes about a year and a half old now and is starting to get past the teething mode. It only cost me a couch, several pairs of shoes, carpet, and coffee table to break her of the habit, plus but loads of Rawhide which costs alot these days. I think shoes and coffee table are cheaper when it comes down to it.

Still a great dog though. Extremely vocal about everything. If she doesnt like something or wants you to do something she'll have a complete conversation with you. The old lassie movies that had the dog barking when they want something is no movie prop, they actually do that.

She even pulled the covers off the bed the other day when she wanted me to get up. Jesus, I though that was a movie prop too. Just when you thought all your kids were grown up. Nothing like starting over in your 50s.

• Members

And yet you give specific dosages and adjust them for the weights of different dogs. You are "the guy" in the line "I got the dose from a guy on the Internet" that is the bane of my existence.

Also specific to this great country of ours is the ability to act freely, even if it means giving statements that kill other people's dogs.

I'm glad that your dog is doing well on the medication. I'm not glad that you refuse to accept a professional's advice on a matter in which you have no professional training (canine pharmacology), and that you are putting your dog and other's dogs at risk with your actions and statements.

I'd like you to do this: call any three veterinarian's offices at random tomorrow, and tell them that you gave your dog some naproxen. See what happens.

I am sorry to not defer to your learned opinion, was any references or data forthcoming?

I have reviewed the literature extensively and made my judgment based on the data, as is my habit. Many things are maintained in veterinary practices (like yearly vaccinations and, according to your anecdotal evidence, deramaxx sales) irrespective of scientific examination.

I had the same gripe for my MD sister when she was all gung ho over selective COX2 inhibitors and the use of proton pump inhibitors to treat self diagnosed GERD. So speak science and I'll listen, especially when there is a overly large profit involved.

I'll cold call vets if I need a student loan repayment strategy...

My dog dies; experiment done.

• Members
We do agree on one thing: yearly vaccinations. There is no proof that they provide any boost to immunity, and there is a building body of evidence that the practice of yearly vaccination may cause more problems than it solves.

This is one of the reasons I do not do day practice anymore.

Unfortunately, for rabies vaccination, it is required by law, and if your dog escapes your yard and is picked by your local animal control, it may make the difference between getting your dog back and getting back a headless corpse.

Please note: the above does not apply to puppy vaccinations. Puppies who do not receive a 3-round course of vaccinations are highly susceptible to parvo and distemper.

From

• Members

Do me a favor: if you have any children, don't "experiment" on them. I doubt your pediatrician would enjoy haggling with you over the costs of treatment.

I think all dog owners agree that they are our children just like their human counterparts.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

True.

My dog broke her leg last summer. We're still paying the medical bill off, but she's happy and healthy.

How long did it take for the fur to grow back? BTW Dutchess is back to full strength. And bleedin' fast now! The surgery was a success.

• Members

How long did it take for the fur to grow back? BTW Dutchess is back to full strength. And bleedin' fast now! The surgery was a success.

A few months for the fur to be completely grown back. Abby hasn't slowed down either. She limps a little after a lot of running, but I'm told that's normal.

• Members

Abby has at least one good person. Looks like a real sweetheart. Dutchess is back playing with her neighborhood buddies. Only now they can't catch her and the leg doesn't give out. I'm happy. And I'm glad I live on a private street with nothing but dog owners living on it. But she still looks funny with one bare leg. She doesn't care, though.

• Members

Abby has at least one good person. Looks like a real sweetheart. Dutchess is back playing with her neighborhood buddies. Only now they can't catch her and the leg doesn't give out. I'm happy. And I'm glad I live on a private street with nothing but dog owners living on it. But she still looks funny with one bare leg. She doesn't care, though.

That's because we don't teach them that their bodies are naughty and should be covered up. I'm all for canine nudity.

um. wait.

Archived